2019 CX-5 Diesel

I was baffled by those numbers and the price. Am I missing something? What is the allure to the diesel?

I honestly wonder if Mazda isn't just putting it out there because the only other thing they could do is scrap it and lose 100% of the money they put into it vs. trying to sell at a break-even/profit and finally bleed them off the lots at deep discounts, recouping as much cost as they can. They probably got in over their heads because VW pulled the rug out from under everyone and they just kept throwing good money after bad, is my guess.

I honestly wonder if Mazda isn't just putting it out there because the only other thing they could do is scrap it and lose 100% of the money they put into it vs. trying to sell at a break-even/profit and finally bleed them off the lots at deep discounts, recouping as much cost as they can. They probably got in over their heads because VW pulled the rug out from under everyone and they just kept throwing good money after bad, is my guess.

i could agree with your statement, it does sound like a logical business decision.
any sale is better than no sale.

I was baffled by those numbers and the price. Am I missing something? What is the allure to the diesel?

I don't get it either. I get the feeling that Mazda corporate thinks that diesels are associated with "premium" brands and have an appeal beyond numbers.

With that said, I don't know why anybody would buy the diesel at that price. Especially when the 2.5T has such great performance and pretty darn good gas mileage.

I don't get it either. I get the feeling that Mazda corporate thinks that diesels are associated with "premium" brands and have an appeal beyond numbers.

With that said, I don't know why anybody would buy the diesel at that price. Especially when the 2.5T has such great performance and pretty darn good gas mileage.

Yeah, my combined is currently at 25.2 for the life of the vehicle since I bought it. That includes romping on it, etc. The diesel better sure as hell outperform its marketing if it's going to do anything but get the owner laughed at.

Oh wow. Didn't make good huh?

He posted about buying a Velostar N recently I believe. Was it since then?

He was being a little dick the whole time anyways saying he was gonna pay in Jamaican dollars or some stupid crap. What a douche move. Go figure...

The minute they brought the turbo in, the diesel kind of fizzled for me. Not to mention Im still angry about it. Was sick of waiting for a diesel and ended up getting a 2017 demo in the start of 2018 (albeit for a great deal) and then they annouced the turbo! GRRRRR. felt like almost an F-U from Mazda.

In all honesty now, with the whole DEF and regen crap, and the torque numbers being so close and unless things change not so impressive MPG numbers I cant see why one would pick this over the 2.5T. Unless towing numbers are drastically different...

BTW, are the towing ratings different from the 2.5/2.5T now as it stands?

you mean to tell me that the base 2.5 and the 2.5T have the same exact tow rating of 2000lbs? That sucks! I mean I would feel more comforable towing 2000 with the turbo but I figured it would have gotten the 3500K rating. I belive in the UK the 2.5 non Turbos are rated for that much.

So...like...a CX5 Signature/Grand Touring Reserve with more expensive fuel that makes like 60hp (87 octane) and 82hp (93 octane) less, and has 20# less torque, and costs $5-8K more.

This ought to sell like a hotcake. That extra 4mpg combined rating will surely tip the scales!
Don't forget 2 free oil changes. :rolleyes:

It will be 3,500lbs with the Diesel. So i guess that would be one noticeable benefit.

Yes, I noticed that recently on the interactive manual, it had info for the US diesel a couple weeks ago. I thought strange at the time. Perhaps there are differences with the gearing or AWD in the diesel that allow it a higher tow rating than the 2.5T?

I was expecting the diesel in 2017 with more HP, and $3-4K lower price, and 5-10 more mpg.

There are still a lot of diesel aficionados out there. It will be interesting to see the take rate now with all that has happened in the auto sector related to diesel emissions. Or it will be an automotive trivia question 25 years out about the one year CX-5 diesel in US.

Wasn't the 626 Diesel around for only '84-'85?

I wonder if they will re-designate it a 2020 instead of a 2019 if it will only become available this summer.

https://www.mazdausa.com/cx-5-signature-skyactivd

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel-is-finally-here-1834114838

I haven't been following this much for a while. Any chance MPG will actually have a far greater real world?

There are still a lot of diesel aficionados out there. It will be interesting to see the take rate now with all that has happened in the auto sector related to diesel emissions. Or it will be an automotive trivia question 25 years out about the one year CX-5 diesel in US.

Wasn't the 626 Diesel around for only '84-'85?

I wonder if they will re-designate it a 2020 instead of a 2019 if it will only become available this summer.

https://www.mazdausa.com/cx-5-signature-skyactivd

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel-is-finally-here-1834114838

I haven't been following this much for a while. Any chance MPG will actually have a far greater real world?

But don't they like the diesels for the combo of low end torque and fuel mileage? This only has one of those and at a huge price premium.

Yikes. Mazda was on a nice hot streak with the turbo and Mazda3, but now theyre losing my confidence. Between the silly CX-30 naming decision and this ridiculously unmarketable CX-5 diesel, who the heck is leading this company?

Whats next, a next-gen CX-5 with a floating roof and a Lexus-like disaster of body creases?

Sigh.

He was being a little dick the whole time anyways saying he was gonna pay in Jamaican dollars or some stupid crap. What a douche move. Go figure...

When you refuse to pay a bet, you don't actually get to not pay. You just trade your honor for the monetary sum.

Steamin' hard at us with all 168hp and 290# torque...

Starting at $41,300.

Wow. Literally don't know what to say to that except major fail in my opinion.

Z8T4XtI.jpg

Its Mazda's Elon Musk moment. Soon after 500K reservations for Diesel CX-5 Mazda will pocket 250 million USD. Cool change.

Starting at $41,300.

Wow. Literally don't know what to say to that except major fail in my opinion.

Z8T4XtI.jpg
rip. how can they justify that price for an engine that's been out and in cx-5's since 2012? Too bad it didn't appear on the Gen 1 USDM.. would have cost less since they weren't supposed to be "luxury market".

rip. how can they justify that price for an engine that's been out and in cx-5's since 2012? Too bad it didn't appear on the Gen 1 USDM.. would have cost less since they weren't supposed to be "luxury market".
Bad rebrand of an already existing product for way more than its worth.

I don't know who would buy it at that price. I really hate this "luxury market" push and this is a great representation of why.

Latest posts

Back