2019 CX-5 Diesel

:( Same here. I've had my 2018 for over a year and am overall very happy with it.

I guess I can now hope that Skyactiv X delivers some of what I was hoping for in the diesel.

SkyX would be an mpg dudd if we go with Mazdas recent mpg trend. I am thinking mid 30s at best for CX-5 on highway and 28 city

SkyX would be an mpg dudd if we go with Mazdas recent mpg trend. I am thinking mid 30s at best for CX-5 on highway and 28 city

If that's with 87 octane and more low end torque than the naturally aspirated 2.5, it sounds pretty good to me.

2019 CX-5 Diesel

If that's with 87 octane and more low end torque than the naturally aspirated 2.5, it sounds pretty good to me.
I may have to agree with Kaps here and you might be disappointed just like the EPA MPG ratings on Mazdas SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Mazda was predicting 188 hp and 170 lb-ft in 2017 then 190 hp and 180 lb-ft in 2018 on Mazdas SkyActiv-X 2.0L. The official power numbers from new Mazda3 selling in Slovakia are now announced to be 178 hp and 164 lb-ft which are not much better than SkyActiv-G 2.0L with 155 hp and 150 lb-ft in the US. And it cant out-perform the SkyActiv-G 2.5L with 186 hp and 186 lb-ft. Theres no SkyActiv-X 2.5L in sight as far as we can tell at this time. So getting a SkyActiv-X 2.5L with a bit more low-end torque than SkyActiv-G 2.5L may have to wait for a while.

I may have to agree with Kaps here and you might be disappointed just like the EPA MPG ratings on Mazda*s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Mazda was predicting 188 hp and 170 lb-ft in 2017 then 190 hp and 180 lb-ft in 2018 on Mazda*s SkyActiv-X 2.0L. The official power numbers from new Mazda3 selling in Slovakia are now announced to be 178 hp and 164 lb-ft which are not much better than SkyActiv-G 2.0L with 155 hp and 150 lb-ft in the US. And it can*t out-perform the SkyActiv-G 2.5L with 186 hp and 186 lb-ft. There*s no SkyActiv-X 2.5L in sight as far as we can tell at this time. So getting a SkyActiv-X 2.5L with a bit more low-end torque than SkyActiv-G 2.5L may have to wait for a while.

I've got time.

If you haven*t driven the diesel with the low end torque and subsequent pulling power, you might be excused for thinking the gasoline engine is equivalent. It isn*t and neither is the fuel consumption.

Just be aware of the diesel engine problems owners ran into in many countries.
Make your own decision of purchase.
Don't say that no one warned you.
Mazda might have fixed the problem in new engines.
I hope that is the case, but you know that Mazda will not admit they have a flaw with current generation.

If you haven*t driven the diesel with the low end torque and subsequent pulling power, you might be excused for thinking the gasoline engine is equivalent. It isn*t and neither is the fuel consumption.

Dunno about fuel consumption, but the gas burner has plenty of torque (310# at 2000rpm) if you opt for the turbo one.

2019 CX-5 Diesel

Just be aware of the diesel engine problems owners ran into in many countries.
Make your own decision of purchase.
Don't say that no one warned you.
Mazda might have fixed the problem in new engines.
I hope that is the case, but you know that Mazda will not admit they have a flaw with current generation.
Yeah current SkyActiv-D does have some issues since it came out. Recent problem is the over-heating without any prior warning which causes cracked cylinder head or even cylinder block. This happens in hot and humid countries and Mazda has no resolutions at this time but only stopped selling CX-5 diesel model in Taiwan although diesel CX-5 is the most popular trim in that country.

Yeah current SkyActiv-D does have some issues since it came out. Recent problem is the over-heating without any prior warning which causes cracked cylinder head or even cylinder block. This happens in hot and humid countries and Mazda has no resolutions at this time but only stopped selling CX-5 diesel model in Taiwan although diesel CX-5 is the most popular trim in that country.

Cool, so not for sale in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, parts of North and South Carolina...ROFL!

I*m not aware that the current engine causes problems. Where have you heard this?

Cool, so not for sale in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, parts of North and South Carolina...ROFL!
Maryland for that matter, whenever it's over 80 the humidity is 70% or higher as late. Also record breaking 70 inches of rain last year.

This thing will probably do worse than the CX3.

2019 CX-5 Diesel

I*m not aware that the current engine causes problems. Where have you heard this?
We can see many overheating reports from different countries from this thread:

2.2 diesel head gasket ?

The overheating problem on SkyActiv-D is nothing new in some hot and humid countries. The latest news I just saw is Taiwan government has announced ordering Mazda Taiwan to issue a mandatory recall on all diesel CX-5's for overheating problem due to the lack of action to provide help to owners other than the stop-sale on 2019 Mazda diesel models.

I googled for you and there're many news and discussions in Taiwan on overheating and blown head gasket incidents from 2014~2016 diesel CX-5 with as low as 60,000 km / 37,500 miles since September last year. Mazda in Taiwan hasn't got any resolutions from Mazda Japan, and the reputation of diesel CX-5 has been ruined because of this hence the stop-sale on 2019 diesel CX-5. The similar incidents are also happening in Thailand and Mazda in Thailand has extended powertrain warranty to cover any diesel problems. You can use Google translator to read them if you're interested:

Mazda 柴油車引擎出問題,馬自達:總社調查中並提供免費檢修!

請問柴油引擎災情有後續進度嗎?

CX-5的車主生氣了!

Mazda柴油引擎的高里程的隱憂

二代柴馬CX5要退單嗎? 看到一代柴馬六萬公里換引擎要二十萬元

And there's a Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan on FaceBook which has full of complains on weak windshield and problematic SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. The problems on diesel are ranging from oil dilution、failed transmission、DPF regeneration issue、and engine overheating without any warning light which makes head gasket blown.

Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan FaceBook

Its been reported here in this long diesel thread US Diesel's big splash introduction back in June. Looks like this issue is happening on higher-mileage 2.2L diesel engine from many countries, Taiwan、Australia、Thailand、Norway, just based on this particular thread.

Heres the latest info on diesel issue from Taiwan:

【獨家】百萬柴油車爆引擎瑕疵無預警降速 220車主串連迫車商補救

2019 CX-5 Diesel

That isnt the current 2.2. It has been modified since the early head failures.
Not sure how much different between early SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel and recent 2.2L diesel on hardware. I believe the improvement over the years is software mainly on DPF regeneration to resolve oil dilution issue. IMO, Mazda itself stopped selling top-selling diesel CX-5 in Taiwan, but not to explain how the overheating issue on CX-5 diesel had been resolved for newer model years, speaks itself the issue hasn't been properly resolved. Current fix for blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head on 2.2L diesel is only replacing the broken parts, but no real fixes been offered and explained at this time.

The CX-5 diesel will reach U.S. customers this July, carrying an EPA rating of 27 mpg city, 30 highway, and 28 mpg overall, at a price of $41,995, including a $995 destination fee.
In U.S. spec, the 2.2-liter diesel 4-cylinder*with two sequential turbos*makes 168 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque, and it has a rather high redline for a diesel, of 5,500 rpm.

So...like...a CX5 Signature/Grand Touring Reserve with more expensive fuel that makes like 60hp (87 octane) and 82hp (93 octane) less, and has 20# less torque, and costs $5-8K more.

This ought to sell like a hotcake. That extra 4mpg combined rating will surely tip the scales!

So...like...a CX5 Signature/Grand Touring Reserve with more expensive fuel that makes like 60hp (87 octane) and 82hp (93 octane) less, and has 20# less torque, and costs $5-8K more.

This ought to sell like a hotcake. That extra 4mpg combined rating will surely tip the scales!

I was baffled by those numbers and the price. Am I missing something? What is the allure to the diesel?

Latest posts

Back