Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 CX-5 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
    Intersting article making the rounds: https://www.motor1.com/news/304472/2...a-cx-5-diesel/

(emphasis mine)

Couple thoughts here:

Interesting to see Moro-San still discussing an engine that most of us think is dead for the US Market but Mazda has been at times notoriously stubborn in their approach so maybe he's determined to make it happen one way or another. If this were a much larger auto maker, that could work but given Mazda's small market share and profits, it's risky. Maybe it'll just be available to our neighbors up North?

The fact he says it will be released this calendar year is the most defining statement in the article. Sure, plenty of us still remember the 'coming soon' section on Mazda USA's site but this is coming directly from the CEO so something must be in the works.

Lastly, the timing actually might make sense.
    I need to go back and find the slide but I remember Mazda realased their timelines a while back and wasn't the SkyActiv-D version 2 due out in 2020? Some of us wondered why Mazda would bother releasing the engine here so close to a redesign so maybe this is the 2nd generation SkyActive-D that might be out next year. That definitely changes things.

thoughts?
    http://www.headlightmag.com/hlmwp/wp...zda-2030-2.png
    The slide you referenced

2005 RX-8, Grand Touring

thanks 7eregrine; yup, looks like Mazda had planned a new version of the SkyActiv-D in 2020 so this timing might actually work out for them.
    The prior generation had issues, the EPA ratings weren't what they wanted so they must have just shelved it for the remainder of the cycle's life (through 2019) so if they do bring a Diesel to market, it'll be a newer version.
    If so, we're basically back to square one as we were in 2017 with the infamous "coming soon" landing page on MNAO's site.

I'm sure the SkyActiv-D version 2 will come out at some point for the international markets so that'll give us our first glimpse at it but the question will continue to remain: will a diesel Mazda be sold in the US.
    Will the fuel mileage increase over the version 1?
    If so, at what cost.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

Looking at the US auto industry in general, I have a feeling that any new diesel vehicles will be few and far between. The subject has become a lightning rod of sorts here.

Registered Member

Mazda mx-5

Looks like mazda took down the Cx-5 diesel page under future vehicles. Curious if they are revamping it or just taking it down for good.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by pcardoza View Post
    Looking at the US auto industry in general, I have a feeling that any new diesel vehicles will be few and far between. The subject has become a lightning rod of sorts here.
    Yeah, and poor Monty hasn't posted since around the time I PMed him my address to as to allow him to stand behind his honor by paying his debts for losing that bet.

'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited

Man, I'm glad I didn't wait around any longer hoping for that diesel CX-5.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by WebbMD View Post
    Looks like mazda took down the Cx-5 diesel page under future vehicles. Curious if they are revamping it or just taking it down for good.
    The future is now and now is not the time for the CX-5 diesel...
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Yeah, and poor Monty hasn't posted since around the time I PMed him my address to as to allow him to stand behind his honor by paying his debts for losing that bet.
    Oh wow. Didn't make good huh?

He posted about buying a Velostar N recently I believe. Was it since then?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
    Man, I'm glad I didn't wait around any longer hoping for that diesel CX-5.
    Same here. I've had my 2018 for over a year and am overall very happy with it.

I guess I can now hope that Skyactiv X delivers some of what I was hoping for in the diesel.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Oh wow. Didn't make good huh?

He posted about buying a Velostar N recently I believe. Was it since then?
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...l-for-Purchase

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Same here. I've had my 2018 for over a year and am overall very happy with it.

I guess I can now hope that Skyactiv X delivers some of what I was hoping for in the diesel.
    SkyX would be an mpg dudd if we go with Mazdas recent mpg trend. I am thinking mid 30s at best for CX-5 on highway and 28 city

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    SkyX would be an mpg dudd if we go with Mazdas recent mpg trend. I am thinking mid 30s at best for CX-5 on highway and 28 city
    If that's with 87 octane and more low end torque than the naturally aspirated 2.5, it sounds pretty good to me.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2019 CX-5 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    If that's with 87 octane and more low end torque than the naturally aspirated 2.5, it sounds pretty good to me.
    I may have to agree with Kaps here and you might be disappointed just like the EPA MPG ratings on Mazdaís SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Mazda was predicting 188 hp and 170 lb-ft in 2017 then 190 hp and 180 lb-ft in 2018 on Mazdaís SkyActiv-X 2.0L. The official power numbers from new Mazda3 selling in Slovakia are now announced to be 178 hp and 164 lb-ft which are not much better than SkyActiv-G 2.0L with 155 hp and 150 lb-ft in the US. And it canít out-perform the SkyActiv-G 2.5L with 186 hp and 186 lb-ft. Thereís no SkyActiv-X 2.5L in sight as far as we can tell at this time. So getting a SkyActiv-X 2.5L with a bit more low-end torque than SkyActiv-G 2.5L may have to wait for a while.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I may have to agree with Kaps here and you might be disappointed just like the EPA MPG ratings on Mazda*s SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. Mazda was predicting 188 hp and 170 lb-ft in 2017 then 190 hp and 180 lb-ft in 2018 on Mazda*s SkyActiv-X 2.0L. The official power numbers from new Mazda3 selling in Slovakia are now announced to be 178 hp and 164 lb-ft which are not much better than SkyActiv-G 2.0L with 155 hp and 150 lb-ft in the US. And it can*t out-perform the SkyActiv-G 2.5L with 186 hp and 186 lb-ft. There*s no SkyActiv-X 2.5L in sight as far as we can tell at this time. So getting a SkyActiv-X 2.5L with a bit more low-end torque than SkyActiv-G 2.5L may have to wait for a while.
    I've got time.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Interesting. Lol.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast