2019 CX-5 Diesel

People here generally don't know or care, still buying them in numbers elsewhere despite issues and I've wiping my ass with 50s so really its just another turd to me, you've been warned!! Seriously though well worth if it means they waited to really get it right. Bringing it and it sucking exponentially worse for brand image than failure to launch and an old url.

People who wipe their ass with $50's don't drive cheap CUV's that are half a decade old and also flex on what they do with $50's...Just sayin'

That said, I really don't see why they'd bring the CX5-D now that one can get a much better performing gas burner ($0.50 cheaper per gallon) that gets within a few mpg, requires no DEF, etc. It wouldn't make any sense. Making even less sense would be buying one when the proven CX9 drivetrain is available in the CX5 now, and all the 2.2D's are just full of issues world-wide. Why would anyone make that buy?

Last edited:
People who wipe their ass with $50's don't drive cheap CUV's that are half a decade old and also flex on what they do with $50's...Just sayin'

That said, I really don't see why they'd bring the CX5-D now that one can get a much better performing gas burner ($0.50 cheaper per gallon) that gets within a few mpg, requires no DEF, etc. It wouldn't make any sense. Making even less sense would be buying one when the proven CX9 drivetrain is available in the CX5 now, and all the 2.2D's are just full of issues world-wide. Why would anyone make that buy?

We'll see..you're quick to point out the fuel and DEF cost but ppl seeing pretty crappy mileage depending on conditions/habits very low 20s are easy. I know plenty of ppl that drive shitboxes (try decade plus old Hondas, Subies)..software developers that are probably worth mid7 if not into 8 figures..not everyone flaunts it. The wiping my ass w/50s thing that was a joke in that yours may or may not have some poop on it upon arrival...just sayin

Intersting article making the rounds: https://www.motor1.com/news/304472/2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel/

(emphasis mine)
Despite submitting official fuel economy figures with the Environment Protection Agency for a diesel-powered 2018 CX-5, Mazda has yet to deliver a single CX-5 diesel in the U.S. market, per Mazda North America's president and CEO, Masahiro Moro. Still, at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, Moro insisted the CX-5 diesel remains in the company's cards. When Mazda chooses to show those cards, however, is up in the air, as a specific timeline for the model was not provided.

Nevertheless, Moro did acknowledge the CX-5 diesel will arrive at some point in the 2019 calendar year. And given that the EPA reports no fuel economy figures for a 2019 model-year CX-5 diesel, we believe the engine will officially be available in the 2020 CX-5.

Upon arrival, the diesel will surely complement the standard 187-hp 2.5-liter inline-four and 250-hp turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-four that currently power the compact crossover. Boasting 2.2 liters, the diesel engine was rated by the EPA to return up to 28 miles per gallon in the city and 31 mpg on the highway in the 2018 model year a small improvement over the base engines 25 mpg city and 31 mpg highway ratings. We expect those figures to rise by a few miles per gallon for the CX-5 diesel that Mazda says it will deliver this year.
Couple thoughts here:

Interesting to see Moro-San still discussing an engine that most of us think is dead for the US Market but Mazda has been at times notoriously stubborn in their approach so maybe he's determined to make it happen one way or another. If this were a much larger auto maker, that could work but given Mazda's small market share and profits, it's risky. Maybe it'll just be available to our neighbors up North?

The fact he says it will be released this calendar year is the most defining statement in the article. Sure, plenty of us still remember the 'coming soon' section on Mazda USA's site but this is coming directly from the CEO so something must be in the works.

Lastly, the timing actually might make sense.
I need to go back and find the slide but I remember Mazda realased their timelines a while back and wasn't the SkyActiv-D version 2 due out in 2020? Some of us wondered why Mazda would bother releasing the engine here so close to a redesign so maybe this is the 2nd generation SkyActive-D that might be out next year. That definitely changes things.

thoughts?

Intersting article making the rounds: https://www.motor1.com/news/304472/2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel/

The fact he says it will be released this calendar year is the most defining statement in the article. Sure, plenty of us still remember the 'coming soon' section on Mazda USA's site but this is coming directly from the CEO so something must be in the works.

thoughts?

Mazda can release it in NA but nobody in NA is buying a diesel vehicle, except for heavy duty trucks. Diesel is dead in cars and SUVs.

Who would want to deal with a Mazda diesel after all the problems it had in Europe and Asia? Overheating, blowing up, oil dilution, etc.

One can buy a Honda CRV and have those problems if they want it.

LOL @ the Honda comments.

I actually don't think Diesel is dead is North America, there's still a lot of people who have had diesels in the past and enjoy them. The fact that in the age of hybrids and plug-ins, Chevy even brought a Diesel CUV to the market has to say something.
It's a small population but if you can come out with a car that captures a big portion of that market, it could be worthwhile. Now, that said I don't think the 1st Gen SkyActiv Diesel was that engine given the early issues it had with oil dilution and the recall announced late last year.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that article but based on the timing I think we're looking at a revised SkyActiv-D coming, not that first motor.
Again, it has to check off certain boxes to win and one of them has to be significantly higher fuel efficiency than the engine submitted to the EPA last year. That isn't going to move the needle in terms of the sales Mazda needs to make that vehicle financially viable.
Now, if it's sitting at 35 mpg+ or creeping up towards the 40 we've seen reported elsewhere, that might lure potential customers over.

Thanks for sharing and I hope the hell they do finally pull it off..but until I see and drive one live and in person its dead to me and that prick owes me $50!

(emphasis mine)

Couple thoughts here:

Interesting to see Moro-San still discussing an engine that most of us think is dead for the US Market but Mazda has been at times notoriously stubborn in their approach so maybe he's determined to make it happen one way or another. If this were a much larger auto maker, that could work but given Mazda's small market share and profits, it's risky. Maybe it'll just be available to our neighbors up North?

Lastly, the timing actually might make sense.
I need to go back and find the slide but I remember Mazda realased their timelines a while back and wasn't the SkyActiv-D version 2 due out in 2020? Some of us wondered why Mazda would bother releasing the engine here so close to a redesign so maybe this is the 2nd generation SkyActive-D that might be out next year. That definitely changes things.

thoughts?
http://www.headlightmag.com/hlmwp/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Mazda-2030-2.png
The slide you referenced

thanks 7eregrine; yup, looks like Mazda had planned a new version of the SkyActiv-D in 2020 so this timing might actually work out for them.
The prior generation had issues, the EPA ratings weren't what they wanted so they must have just shelved it for the remainder of the cycle's life (through 2019) so if they do bring a Diesel to market, it'll be a newer version.
If so, we're basically back to square one as we were in 2017 with the infamous "coming soon" landing page on MNAO's site.

I'm sure the SkyActiv-D version 2 will come out at some point for the international markets so that'll give us our first glimpse at it but the question will continue to remain: will a diesel Mazda be sold in the US.
Will the fuel mileage increase over the version 1?
If so, at what cost.

Looking at the US auto industry in general, I have a feeling that any new diesel vehicles will be few and far between. The subject has become a lightning rod of sorts here.

Looks like mazda took down the Cx-5 diesel page under future vehicles. Curious if they are revamping it or just taking it down for good.

Looking at the US auto industry in general, I have a feeling that any new diesel vehicles will be few and far between. The subject has become a lightning rod of sorts here.

Yeah, and poor Monty hasn't posted since around the time I PMed him my address to as to allow him to stand behind his honor by paying his debts for losing that bet.

Man, I'm glad I didn't wait around any longer hoping for that diesel CX-5.

Looks like mazda took down the Cx-5 diesel page under future vehicles. Curious if they are revamping it or just taking it down for good.

The future is now and now is not the time for the CX-5 diesel...

Yeah, and poor Monty hasn't posted since around the time I PMed him my address to as to allow him to stand behind his honor by paying his debts for losing that bet.
Oh wow. Didn't make good huh?

He posted about buying a Velostar N recently I believe. Was it since then?

Man, I'm glad I didn't wait around any longer hoping for that diesel CX-5.

:( Same here. I've had my 2018 for over a year and am overall very happy with it.

I guess I can now hope that Skyactiv X delivers some of what I was hoping for in the diesel.

Latest posts

Back