Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 CX-5 Diesel

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

Ok..what do you think? Big impact(the no show)in the minds of us consumer? No, most have no idea. Still good take rate in other markets (despite some issues)? Yes.
    Obviously not great overall and if anyone's salty about it its me..but we'd probably be talking about how we miss that little zoom zoom brand from Japan by now had they gone the way of vw, no doubt..so, in a word..levels
    Last edited by Monterra; 01-29-2019 at 11:24 AM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- oh what a feelin!
    1991 Toyota MR2T 6MT- Awesome- fun AND dangerous
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI)- good until gremlins
    +enter bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -boring excellence
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers- should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - Not so boring excellence- continues to impress
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast and still did donuts, e-steering=fail
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N- 6MT or bust bitch (love that)fun/dollar untouchable right now(well BRZ but Veloster has a real back seat and smokes it)

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    Ok..what do you think? Big impact(the no show)in the minds of us consumer? No, most have no idea. Still good take rate in other markets (despite some issues)? Yes.
    Obviously not great overall and if anyone's salty about it its me..but we'd probably be talking about how we miss that little zoom zoom brand from Japan by now had they gone the way of vw, no doubt..so, in a word..levels
    I guess if you don't have the internet and have never gone to Mazda's website, you probably don't know about the thing, but otherwise? Yeah. They know. Still in the damn URL "2017 CX5 Diesel" ROFL!
    https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5-diesel

Then you have the fact that they are shitting the bed in droves all over the world (except in the USA/CANADA...)...
    http://www.lemonlawcourt.com/mazda-r...engine-defect/
    and then this...
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1ND0MB
    Yeah, people who own them have been made aware via Mazda/Mail or worse, issues personally experienced.

There really just is nothing good associated Mazda's foray with their diesel. Hell, it's already likely to have cost you personally, and you don't even own one, Monty! That's horrible!

Registered Member

2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I guess if you don't have the internet and have never gone to Mazda's website, you probably don't know about the thing, but otherwise? Yeah. They know. Still in the damn URL "2017 CX5 Diesel" ROFL!

Then you have the fact that they are shitting the bed in droves all over the world (except in the USA/CANADA...)...
    and then this...
    Yeah, people who own them have been made aware via Mazda/Mail or worse, issues personally experienced.

There really just is nothing good associated Mazda's foray with their diesel. Hell, it's already likely to have cost you personally, and you don't even own one, Monty! That's horrible!
    Ouch! Maybe it is a blessing it didn't hit the US, and maybe these flaws are the real reason.

It's amazing that such complicated machines have so few debilitating class defects.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Registered Member

and then this...

People here generally don't know or care, still buying them in numbers elsewhere despite issues and I've wiping my ass with 50s so really its just another turd to me, you've been warned!! Seriously though well worth if it means they waited to really get it right. Bringing it and it sucking exponentially worse for brand image than failure to launch and an old url.
    Last edited by Monterra; 01-29-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by banjos-n-beer View Post
    At the end of the two-day event, I was able to sit down next to Masahiro Moro, the President of Mazda North America, where he shared as much as he could about the upcoming generation of engine technologies the company has planned as part of its *Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030* plan.
    It's not the "Feel Alive 2030" plan?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

Yo guys i read, already posted, but I've heard it before and yeah its dead to me until they confirm 100% its "ALIVE"
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member banjos-n-beer's Avatar

2014 QX70 AWD

Yeah, but he also mentioned RX7.....

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    People here generally don't know or care, still buying them in numbers elsewhere despite issues and I've wiping my ass with 50s so really its just another turd to me, you've been warned!! Seriously though well worth if it means they waited to really get it right. Bringing it and it sucking exponentially worse for brand image than failure to launch and an old url.
    People who wipe their ass with $50's don't drive cheap CUV's that are half a decade old and also flex on what they do with $50's...Just sayin'

That said, I really don't see why they'd bring the CX5-D now that one can get a much better performing gas burner ($0.50 cheaper per gallon) that gets within a few mpg, requires no DEF, etc. It wouldn't make any sense. Making even less sense would be buying one when the proven CX9 drivetrain is available in the CX5 now, and all the 2.2D's are just full of issues world-wide. Why would anyone make that buy?
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 01-30-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Yeah, but he also mentioned RX7.....
    He mentioned all the things, and the media relations people told him to put a sock in it. We've been hearing about the RX9 for...how long now?

Registered Member

People who wipe their ass with $50's don't drive cheap CUV's that are half a decade old and also flex on what they do with $50's...Just sayin'

That said, I really don't see why they'd bring the CX5-D now that one can get a much better performing gas burner ($0.50 cheaper per gallon) that gets within a few mpg, requires no DEF, etc. It wouldn't make any sense. Making even less sense would be buying one when the proven CX9 drivetrain is available in the CX5 now, and all the 2.2D's are just full of issues world-wide. Why would anyone make that buy?
    We'll see..you're quick to point out the fuel and DEF cost but ppl seeing pretty crappy mileage depending on conditions/habits very low 20s are easy. I know plenty of ppl that drive shitboxes (try decade plus old Hondas, Subies)..software developers that are probably worth mid7 if not into 8 figures..not everyone flaunts it. The wiping my ass w/50s thing that was a joke in that yours may or may not have some poop on it upon arrival...just sayin

2019 Mazda CX-5, GT-R

Intersting article making the rounds: https://www.motor1.com/news/304472/2...a-cx-5-diesel/

(emphasis mine)
    Despite submitting official fuel economy figures with the Environment Protection Agency for a diesel-powered 2018 CX-5, Mazda has yet to deliver a single CX-5 diesel in the U.S. market, per Mazda North America's president and CEO, Masahiro Moro. Still, at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, Moro insisted the CX-5 diesel remains in the company's cards. When Mazda chooses to show those cards, however, is up in the air, as a specific timeline for the model was not provided.

Nevertheless, Moro did acknowledge the CX-5 diesel will arrive at some point in the 2019 calendar year. And given that the EPA reports no fuel economy figures for a 2019 model-year CX-5 diesel, we believe the engine will officially be available in the 2020 CX-5.

Upon arrival, the diesel will surely complement the standard 187-hp 2.5-liter inline-four and 250-hp turbocharged 2.5-liter inline-four that currently power the compact crossover. Boasting 2.2 liters, the diesel engine was rated by the EPA to return up to 28 miles per gallon in the city and 31 mpg on the highway in the 2018 model year – a small improvement over the base engine’s 25 mpg city and 31 mpg highway ratings. We expect those figures to rise by a few miles per gallon for the CX-5 diesel that Mazda says it will deliver this year.
    Couple thoughts here:

Interesting to see Moro-San still discussing an engine that most of us think is dead for the US Market but Mazda has been at times notoriously stubborn in their approach so maybe he's determined to make it happen one way or another. If this were a much larger auto maker, that could work but given Mazda's small market share and profits, it's risky. Maybe it'll just be available to our neighbors up North?

The fact he says it will be released this calendar year is the most defining statement in the article. Sure, plenty of us still remember the 'coming soon' section on Mazda USA's site but this is coming directly from the CEO so something must be in the works.

Lastly, the timing actually might make sense.
    I need to go back and find the slide but I remember Mazda realased their timelines a while back and wasn't the SkyActiv-D version 2 due out in 2020? Some of us wondered why Mazda would bother releasing the engine here so close to a redesign so maybe this is the 2nd generation SkyActive-D that might be out next year. That definitely changes things.

thoughts?

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
    Intersting article making the rounds: https://www.motor1.com/news/304472/2...a-cx-5-diesel/

The fact he says it will be released this calendar year is the most defining statement in the article. Sure, plenty of us still remember the 'coming soon' section on Mazda USA's site but this is coming directly from the CEO so something must be in the works.

thoughts?
    Mazda can release it in NA but nobody in NA is buying a diesel vehicle, except for heavy duty trucks. Diesel is dead in cars and SUVs.

Who would want to deal with a Mazda diesel after all the problems it had in Europe and Asia? Overheating, blowing up, oil dilution, etc.

One can buy a Honda CRV and have those problems if they want it.

2019 Mazda CX-5, GT-R

LOL @ the Honda comments.

I actually don't think Diesel is dead is North America, there's still a lot of people who have had diesels in the past and enjoy them. The fact that in the age of hybrids and plug-ins, Chevy even brought a Diesel CUV to the market has to say something.
    It's a small population but if you can come out with a car that captures a big portion of that market, it could be worthwhile. Now, that said I don't think the 1st Gen SkyActiv Diesel was that engine given the early issues it had with oil dilution and the recall announced late last year.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that article but based on the timing I think we're looking at a revised SkyActiv-D coming, not that first motor.
    Again, it has to check off certain boxes to win and one of them has to be significantly higher fuel efficiency than the engine submitted to the EPA last year. That isn't going to move the needle in terms of the sales Mazda needs to make that vehicle financially viable.
    Now, if it's sitting at 35 mpg+ or creeping up towards the 40 we've seen reported elsewhere, that might lure potential customers over.

Registered Member

Thanks for sharing and I hope the hell they do finally pull it off..but until I see and drive one live and in person its dead to me and that prick owes me $50!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast