2019 CX-5 Diesel

Any speculation if there will even be a 2020 CX-5 Diesel & how might this effect the Mazda 6 Diesel ever showing up?

I read that the diesel is DEAD in the USA. Will try and find the site and link.

Doesn't surprise me the diesel is being pulled from the USA. It didn't sell and nobody wants one, especially at an elevated price that brings no extra power or MPG but only brings less reliability and higher maintenance costs. Makes no sense to buy one.

2019 CX-5 Diesel

Doesn't surprise me the diesel is being pulled from the USA. It didn't sell and nobody wants one, especially at an elevated price that brings no extra power or MPG but only brings less reliability and higher maintenance costs. Makes no sense to buy one.
And makes no sense to import it into the USA at the first place either!

Now I'm even more curious as to how quickly these will move even at these discounts and how much will the largest discount be? Looks like $10,000 is the largest posted so far.
I too am even more tempted to test drive. I came from a Golf TDI to my GTR.

Selling for $38k in my region for 2019 Diesel signatures.

And makes no sense to import it into the USA at the first place either!

An expensive mistake for them, for sure. VW definitely ruined the diesel market in the US. To me, the Diesel CX-5 doesn't make sense in a country where gas costs (in many places) in the low 2 dollars, per gallon. At 32k, sure. 42k is just ridiculous. But there's a lot of expensive diesel hardware that has to be put in.

There is no 2020 Diesel CX-5 listed on the U.S. build and price.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/build-and-price

Closest dealer to me showing a discount on their web site has $6664 discount on a 2019 Signature diesel.

VW definitely ruined the diesel market in the US.
Yeah, definitely. While I can't complain about driving my VW Golf TDI for 6 years & having them buy it back for almost what I paid for it, it certainly tainted the US diesel market. I really miss my TDI but it was too good a deal to not sell it back. Bought new for around $21K for a really fun to drive car that could pull 50+ mpg on the highway (with falsified emissions of course).

I think it also gave people expectations for much higher mileage when Mazda announced the CX-5 diesel & the price just helped seal it's death.

Haven't driven one yet, but I think my top dollar would be in the 28's for one of these. Curious to see how far they drop.

Haven't driven one yet, but I think my top dollar would be in the 28's for one of these. Curious to see how far they drop.

The problem then becomes that with so few of a single-model-year-run on the road, the availability (or lack thereof) of parts and experienced mechanics becomes a big issue.

Here's a screenshot of MazdaUSA's website:

Mazda%20website.jpg

Note that the CX-5 diesel is only listed for 2019, and the Mazda6 Signature diesel is a "Future Vehicle."

Just stopped at local Mazda dealer. They had 1 CX5 diesel on the lot and they said it has been sitting for 6+ months. Nobody wants to buy it. Eventually they will discount it by a lot or send it to another dealership. They said the diesel is DEAD and Mazda will no longer be selling them in the USA.

Most likely Mazda lost MILLIONS of dollars on the CX5 diesel with production and all. Huge loss for Mazda.

Just stopped at local Mazda dealer. They had 1 CX5 diesel on the lot and they said it has been sitting for 6+ months. Nobody wants to buy it. Eventually they will discount it by a lot or send it to another dealership. They said the diesel is DEAD and Mazda will no longer be selling them in the USA.

Most likely Mazda lost MILLIONS of dollars on the CX5 diesel with production and all. Huge loss for Mazda.
FYI:
Mazda Stock.jpg

It's always interesting to watch the stock price in the context of some of the things we discuss here. Of course, Mazda is no behemoth, and it's lightly traded.

How do you quantify this loss? 2 million, 5 million, 999 million? The left hand drive version of the diesel CX5 is sold all over the world so the extra production costs for the U.S market will be negligible. I think it was a toe in the water exercise for the U.S. which failed. On the other hand, now the cost of oil is rising due to political factors who knows?

There’s too many of you slagging off the diesel when you’ve neither driven one or understand why Mazda are committed to it but it doesn’t help when you live in a culture of very little consideration for the climate emergency. That doesn’t help when your gaffer has a complete disregard for the situation either (I have no political bias to left or right). However, there is a good chance that that will all change when you eventually get a new one that advises you properly.

The Japanese take the climate and their moral obligations much more seriously and when I was at Mazda in Hiroshima recently, they went to some lengths to explain their philosophy on the subject. They have looked in detail at the effects of combustion engines levelled with supposedly cleaner options and in reality, there is still a high real cost of producing batteries and energy to charge them to the environment and carbon emissions. Your beloved gasoline engine is the worst offender and even in its current state is the bottom of the tree for sustainability so Mazda will continue to develop diesel and X engines whether you scoff at it or not. They can offer some improvements with mild hybrids and they will work towards the targets of eliminating combustion engines that the rest of the less selfish nations are committed to but for Mazda, diesel has an important place in their portfolio. I’m not even a tree hugger but I can see people’s houses burning down in some countries and being washed away in others and it’s nice that somebody has an eye on it before it gets to your neighbourhood.

Back