2019 CX-5 Diesel

Many people have opted to purchase the Grand Touring and later the Signature trims, though they could have paid less and bought a lesser trim.
It seems that with Mazda, it is more the case than other similar makes.
Mazda is therefore smart to add the Signature trim and offer more high-end options, which helps them make more money and thus help them make more great cars.

Many people have opted to purchase the Grand Touring and later the Signature trims, though they could have paid less and bought a lesser trim.
It seems that with Mazda, it is more the case than other similar makes.
Mazda is therefore smart to add the Signature trim and offer more high-end options, which helps them make more money and thus help them make more great cars.

Exactly, if 3's and CX's sell like hotcakes, an RX9 might one-day happen.

The 2.5T is honestly worth it. I hated owning a base model CX5 because I missed all of the things all my other cars have had since 2010. That made the Grand Touring a no-brainer this go, and when I could get 80hp more for $2K or so, that was the cheapest 80hp/110#tq mod I've ever seen short of a used cam and a buddy tuning your LS1 car, lol!
My problem is I don't like the GT trim personally. Wish they didn't just reserve the other engine options for the highest trims. Wouldn't mind trying a Touring with a 2.5T. Bit even then, not even cloth seats anymore. Really hate leather seats.

Yeah, I know and the lack of info has pissed people off. I wouldn*t insist that someone paid the price hike but the tractability from the diesel might convince some buyers. You can get a big high powered gasoline engine but you never see one in a truck.

Ummm? Yeah? You do. A lot.

Dodge HEMI
GM 6.2, 6., 5.3
Toyota 5.7
Ford 5.0 and 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost

In fact, big hp v8 and turbo 6 motors wayyyyy outnumber diesel in trucks until the 2500/250 size range, and always have.

Last edited:
My problem is I don't like the GT trim personally. Wish they didn't just reserve the other engine options for the highest trims. Wouldn't mind trying a Touring with a 2.5T. Bit even then, not even cloth seats anymore. Really hate leather seats.

See if there is a reason you cant swap seats and get paid for it, with someone on the forum who has cloth and wants leather?

Ummm? Yeah? You do. A lot.

Dodge HEMI
GM 6.2, 6., 5.3
Toyota 5.7
Ford 5.0 and 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost

In fact, big hp v8 and turbo 6 motors wayyyyy outnumber diesel in trucks until the 2500/250 size range, and always have.

No, you call pick-ups trucks. A truck in real life is 7.5 tons and up and in Europe you need a truck drivers license. Find me a proper truck with a petrol engine. Stop finding excuses for the fact you personally did the right thing, i get that and agree with you. I*m talking about why some people might prefer the way the diesel drives. I*ll say again, I would love a 2.5T but it isn*t offered here. There is so much controversy over diesels here that if Mazda don*t offer it in 2 years, I am going Toyota or Lexus. If you get somebody with a brain in power next time round you will be getting a grip of emissions instread of pretending that we are not in dire straights with global warming. My diesel is cleaner than your petrol but there is a stigma and there is problems for me if i become a low mileage driver.

Last edited:
Haha, one of the countermeasures recommended in greenhouse gas reduction is to cut the demand for beef and lamb because they are huge contributors to methane production. It*s actually a serious problem.
Don't forget plastic straws, the scourge of the modern world!

No, you call pick-ups trucks. A truck in real life is 7.5 tons and up and in Europe you need a truck drivers license. Find me a proper truck with a petrol engine. Stop finding excuses for the fact you personally did the right thing, i get that and agree with you. I*m talking about why some people might prefer the way the diesel drives. I*ll say again, I would love a 2.5T but it isn*t offered here. There is so much controversy over diesels here that if Mazda don*t offer it in 2 years, I am going Toyota or Lexus. If you get somebody with a brain in power next time round you will be getting a grip of emissions instread of pretending that we are not in dire straights with global warming. My diesel is cleaner than your petrol but there is a stigma and there is problems for me if i become a low mileage driver.

Please explain to me how the diesel should drive, compared to the 2.5 Turbo.
2.5 SA Turbo (Gas):
Screen-Shot-2018-12-17-at-12.52.24-AM.png

2.2 SA Turbo (Diesel):
torque.jpg

For your convenience:
https://www.metric-conversions.org/energy-and-power/newton-meters-to-foot-pounds.htm

Last edited:
The first time I*ve seen an opinion supported by more than emotion - excellent. The next time your car is in dock, just drive one around the block. I promise to do the same with a 2.5T if I can get my hands on one.

The first time I*ve seen an opinion supported by more than emotion - excellent. The next time your car is in dock, just drive one around the block. I promise to do the same with a 2.5T if I can get my hands on one.

I can support every opinion I have with data, unless I preface it with "I just prefer" or something of the nature. If you find something I cannot, then please, feel free to call me on it. Beliefs should be defensible, except those held due to personal taste. If you cannot defend them, re-examine them.

No, I would opt out of leather trim in a heartbeat and I*m probably paying at least another 1000 for something I don*t want. I*d follow Unob*s advice and ask/offer for a swap but you*d lose the memory and the cooling.

Having driven a cx5 diesel for 5 years the 175ps with 420nm even with a kerbweight of 1703kg gave good performance.

But your version is well behind on both power and torque, but probably weighs more, does it still have a sequential turbo?

The other issue I have with Mazda is the lack of options lts fine if you want all the kit that's fitted, but not if you don't..

With my 190ps Tiguan I've turned off the lane control, the auto folding mirrors, the auto all Windows opening on fob option, the stop start, and was more than happy to take the standard trim..

The total cost of the options I went for was around 2.6k UK pounds before a 17.1% discount, so not a lot IMO.

Extras chosen were factory fit folding tow bar, display of tyre pressures TPMS, keyless entry ( now standard), and surround view, which is excellent, now standard on the Rtech top model.

My self I wouldn't go for the now over complicated diesel with DPf that kills mpg, and the ad-blue that requires a SCR system, when you have a more powerful petrol with even more torque than the USA offering.

We in the UK don't have the choice with Mazda, but with VW we do now have a 230ps petrol option, or a 240ps twin turbo diesel. Mazda are trying to move upmarket so need to start offering upmarket engine options, not just keeping adding price increases along with increasing kerbweight.

Please explain to me how the diesel should drive, compared to the 2.5 Turbo.
2.5 SA Turbo (Gas):
Screen-Shot-2018-12-17-at-12.52.24-AM.png

2.2 SA Turbo (Diesel):
torque.jpg

For your convenience:
https://www.metric-conversions.org/energy-and-power/newton-meters-to-foot-pounds.htm

Thanks for reposting the turbo curve and juxtaposing it to the (turbo) diesel. The first is what I've had in mind trying to imagine how the diesel will have a much better driving dynamic.

The turbo on 87 octane looks pretty good. I think I'd almost never miss the incremental torque at high revs.

BTW: currently diesel is 3% less expensive than 87 at the pump here in WA state.

I agreed w the 87 octane. Dont think Ill ever get around to getting a Mazda with the turbo, but if I did Id settle for 87. Id never appreciate the hp gain seen at high rpms for an extra .40 cents a gallon in FL

Not that I'm not disappointed with the cost, mileage or performance figures I'm seeing here but I keep seeing people posting about how diesel is 'more expensive'. It may be where you live but it's currently 25-30 per liter (or ~ $1.20/gallon) LESS than 87 octane where I live.

So perhaps stop assuming that as gospel across the entire continent of North America.

I dont think anybody assumed it as gospel across NA. Perhaps US, not NA lol.

Back