2019 CX-5 Diesel

Not that I'm not disappointed with the cost, mileage or performance figures I'm seeing here but I keep seeing people posting about how diesel is 'more expensive'. It may be where you live but it's currently 25-30 per liter (or ~ $1.20/gallon) LESS than 87 octane where I live.

So perhaps stop assuming that as gospel across the entire continent of North America.

But the whole topic is about the release of the US Diesel engine.

But it seems for the majority here in this forum its more FYI

Diesel is also cheaper in some US states FYI.

if that's the case, then diesel in those states will definitely make a lot more sense.
Where i am, NYC, diesel costs more than premium 93 octane which makes for a difficult case for the diesel cx-5

if that's the case, then diesel in those states will definitely make a lot more sense.
Where i am, NYC, diesel costs more than premium 93 octane which makes for a difficult case for the diesel cx-5

Yeah, it varies by states and region. For us, it ranges anywhere from equal to 87 to more than 93.

Not that I'm not disappointed with the cost, mileage or performance figures I'm seeing here but I keep seeing people posting about how diesel is 'more expensive'. It may be where you live but it's currently 25-30 per liter (or ~ $1.20/gallon) LESS than 87 octane where I live.

So perhaps stop assuming that as gospel across the entire continent of North America.

We're talking about average cost in America, not specific cherry picked locations.
https://gasprices.aaa.com

If I recall diesel was around the same cost as 87 here, which is our mid-grade (we have 85, 87, 91).

I'll pay attention to price when I fill up tomorrow.

I couldn't tell you because niether of the far stations I go to has it.

here in Phoenix diesel is a bit higher but almost same to 87. Aprox. 3.10 for 87 and 3.25 for diesel per gallon. All prices are getting bloody expensive lately here. But I admit I would like at least try the diesel.

You don't really know how the diesel will perform until you actually drive it otherwise it's just endless educated guesses. I've driven both variations of the diesel engine. We don't have the 2.5 litre petrol turbo or non turbo in the UK so there's no point in me trying to guess how it might feel and perform on the road. I think any threads relating to the NA diesel release should be locked as they turn into endless navel gazing on what might be.

You don't really know how the diesel will perform until you actually drive it otherwise it's just endless educated guesses. I've driven both variations of the diesel engine. We don't have the 2.5 litre petrol turbo or non turbo in the UK so there's no point in me trying to guess how it might feel and perform on the road. I think any threads relating to the NA diesel release should be locked as they turn into endless navel gazing on what might be.

Nothing wrong with discussions and speculations.

Where I live, diesel prices are between 89 and 93 during the summer and above 93 in the winter. It wasn't always that high. Diesel was close to 87 around 2015-2016, but jumped in price in the fall of 2017. Given that and the relatively disappointing EPA fuel economy ratings, it would cost me more to fuel the diesel than the 2.5T. The power & torque figures turned out to be a little disappointing as well, 5-6% behind the rest of the world. And then there is the price: about $4k more than the Signature with 2.5T. I spent a year or two all hyped up for the CX-5 diesel, and now that it's really coming to market I wouldn't buy it even if I needed a new car. I'll have to admit the skeptics here were right.

What I don't get is that when I was a kid, diesel was always consistently like a dollar cheaper than normal 87 (or 85 in our case) octane.

What I don't get is that when I was a kid, diesel was always consistently like a dollar cheaper than normal 87 (or 85 in our case) octane.

The Feds tax diesel at a higher rate, and some states do, as well. In CO, you are paying a combined excise tax on gasoline of 44.9 cents per gallon of diesel and 40.4 cents for gasoline. In your state, diesel is taxed slightly lower than gasoline.

Last edited:
The Feds tax diesel at a higher rate, and some states do, as well. In CO, you are paying a combined excise tax on gasoline of 44.9 cents per gallon of diesel and 40.4 cents for gasoline. In your state, diesel is taxed slightly lower than gasoline.
Interesting. Might be UT I was thinking of as a kid.

Diesel cost at my local Shell:

92f5fefb4c3698725865ab67ae01af18.jpg

I think its because of the ultra low sulphur requirements in place now. When we were younger that wasnt the standard. Its more expensive to produce because of the extra processing required if I remember right.

Back