Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: 2019 CX-5 2.5L vs. 2.5T

  1. #31
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 Touring White

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I*m with you on the Porsche want as that*s been a dream car of mine since childhood. Someday!
    Watching videos like this day after day does not help me at all. https://youtu.be/UKv4xDB2VGE :-)

  2. #32
    Registered Member finch204's Avatar

    2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by teslacles View Post
    First-time poster here.

    I know the only real way to resolve this question is via test drive, but since I won't be buying until 4Q/2019 I wanted to hold off on that so my memory remains fresh when it's time to pull the trigger.

    Is the 2.5L "enough" in terms of power? My two main concerns are fast acceleration in aggressive SF Bay Area freeway traffic and decent performance at altitudes of 6-9000 feet in the Sierra. For comparison, my current car is a 2013 Camry hybrid. Sounds tame, but it actually zips from 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, which puts it squarely between data I've seen for the 2.5L (~8.6 sec) and the 2.5T (~6.4 sec).

    I have hard budget restrictions which likely preclude the 2.5T for now leaving me the option of waiting for a gently used GTR or Sig to appear, hoping the 2020's include the 2.5T across cheaper trim levels, or settling for the 2.5L.

    Thought? Thanks.
    Where do you need the fast acceleration? In city driving? Below 55 mph? If so, yes the 2.5L would be fast enough.

    Above a certain speed, like above 60 mph, the acceleration is not fast enough for the 2.5L engine. You can compensate with Sport mode as I do, but if the speed limit is 70 mph on the highway and everyone is in a rush, you will find the 2.5L engine not fast enough.


  3. #33
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    Watching videos like this day after day does not help me at all. https://youtu.be/UKv4xDB2VGE :-)
    Ah yea and the Cayman is the one I want too. (Though I wouldn’t turn away a Macan as a daily). The bit about the number plates was crazy! I just had to pay $100 to not have a front plate.

  4. #34
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Where do you need the fast acceleration? In city driving? Below 55 mph? If so, yes the 2.5L would be fast enough.

    Above a certain speed, like above 60 mph, the acceleration is not fast enough for the 2.5L engine. You can compensate with Sport mode as I do, but if the speed limit is 70 mph on the highway and everyone is in a rush, you will find the 2.5L engine not fast enough.
    Perhaps it's semantics I am disagreeing with here, but the 2.5L NA is plenty "fast enough". Again I am at elevation relative to a lot of folks on this forum, yet on freeways find myself at 80-85 mph without even trying and have to slow myself back down. Have highway driven I-80 through Wyoming at 100+ mph. Have driven the very high elevations of I-70 through Colorado on my way to Utah at 80-85 mph in parts.

    So the 2.5L NA is " fast enough". The better semenatics to use here is that it loses some of its oomph and pep at the higher speeds, so if you pull out to pass someone going 75+, might take you an extra second or so, but make no mistake it will do it.

    Turbo I'd hope helps eliminate that.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 78k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

  5. #35
    Registered Member

    CX5 2.5L AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    6,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    That seems to be the crazy ridiculous madness that is driving me. The willingness to spend wildly for a status is beyond nuts and yet it is eating me inside like an extreme mid-life crisis gone berserk.
    I've at least calmed my desire to own a Porsche brand to a lower cost Macan S instead of the 992 GT3 that I really want. Now if I can calm it more and just stick with the CX-5, all (wife / retirement savings) will be happy. Edit: not yet retired
    If you can afford it...your money. Live on your terms.

  6. #36
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Perhaps it's semantics I am disagreeing with here, but the 2.5L NA is plenty "fast enough". Again I am at elevation relative to a lot of folks on this forum, yet on freeways find myself at 80-85 mph without even trying and have to slow myself back down. Have highway driven I-80 through Wyoming at 100+ mph. Have driven the very high elevations of I-70 through Colorado on my way to Utah at 80-85 mph in parts.

    So the 2.5L NA is " fast enough". The better semenatics to use here is that it loses some of its oomph and pep at the higher speeds, so if you pull out to pass someone going 75+, might take you an extra second or so, but make no mistake it will do it.

    Turbo I'd hope helps eliminate that.
    This is clearly subjective. I agree the 2.5 NA is definitely sufficient to get the car to those speeds. Need to plan that pass more. Some just want it faster.

  7. #37
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    This is clearly subjective. I agree the 2.5 NA is definitely sufficient to get the car to those speeds. Need to plan that pass more. Some just want it faster.
    Agreed.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #38
    Registered Member Kaps's Avatar
    Donated: $15

    CX-5 Touring 2016.5

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lewisville North Dallas Suburb
    Posts
    2,035
    The 2.5 NA drivetrain among the 3, 6 and CX-5 best suits the CX-5 in my opinion. This is for Gen1. The 2.5 Turbo was developed for CX-9 and thrown into the CX-5. You can see the fuel economy is same as a FWD CX-9 which is a much larger and heavier car. 2.5 NA is perfect unless you are driving in the 70-100 mph range which is perfectly legal in some parts of USA. The NA is very much at home under 60 mph which is urban / city style. See what suits you. Btw 2016 CX-9 is still the #1 Mazda in terms of overall refinement and build quality and that still holds true.

    Official Defender of Zamdatm

  9. #39
    Registered Member

    2013 Camry

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Car & Driver posted a 0-60 time for the 2.5L FWD CX-5 at 7.8 seconds.

    That is the model I would choose if I were you.
    Wow, hella difference vs. what I read (of course, no longer remember my source). 7.8 < 8.6 = better. Thanks.

  10. #40
    Registered Member

    2013 Camry

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    NA is perfect unless you are driving in the 70-100 mph range which is perfectly legal in some parts of USA. The NA is very much at home under 60 mph which is urban / city style. See what suits you.
    Ha, both suit me. I'll routinely do 70-75 on the freeways around here, especially when overtaking. Oh well, the local dealer is right next to an on-ramp, so I'll give 'em both a whirl.

  11. #41
    Registered Member

    CX-5

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Smoky Mtn area of TN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Ah yea and the Cayman is the one I want too. (Though I wouldn*t turn away a Macan as a daily). The bit about the number plates was crazy! I just had to pay $100 to not have a front plate.
    Porsche .... there is no substitute! You should definitely go test drive one but be careful ... they are extremely addictive!

    https://app.box.com/s/h0nloqgzm1nxrvmnd6viffn527va3nb6

    This is after I had it tinted and PPF'd (Paint Protection Film) added to it.
    Last edited by russbert; 01-31-2019 at 01:43 PM.

  12. #42
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature; 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF/GT/LE

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    326
    Always wanted a Porsche when I was younger and finally bought a CPO followed by a new one a year later.

    My '15 Cayman GTS (bought new) the day I brought it home:

    2019 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 Signature
    2017 Machine Gray Metallic MX-5 Miata RF/GT/MT Launch Edition
    2019 Racing Orange MX-5 Miata RF/MT 30th Anniversary Edition on order
    27 Mazdas since 1974

  13. #43
    Registered Member Kaps's Avatar
    Donated: $15

    CX-5 Touring 2016.5

    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Lewisville North Dallas Suburb
    Posts
    2,035
    Quote Originally Posted by teslacles View Post
    Ha, both suit me. I'll routinely do 70-75 on the freeways around here, especially when overtaking. Oh well, the local dealer is right next to an on-ramp, so I'll give 'em both a whirl.
    If you go for a FWD - make sure you get good tires always - I went to Altimax GTs which are ok on all fronts but 2nd time I might go with something having more grip. Gen1 struggles to put power down after 70-75 mph. The power band drops off drastically. Good ties + FWD or AWD mitigate it to an extent and ofcourse Gen2 is not bloated as Gen1 was - that helps with wind resistance too.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  14. #44
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 Touring White

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    194
    @russbert and @Turborascal

    I know I shouldn't covet another man's car but...*.

    Very nice!! Both!!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  15. #45
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Touring FWD

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    zoom zoom land
    Posts
    4
    Another thing to look at:
    FWD: 3541lbs
    AWD: 3679lbs
    AWD Turbo: 3825lbs

    The weight and drivetrain loss from AWD will make it a disadvantage using the same engine. The AWD model has a shorter final drive ratio to make up for this, but the FWD still seems to post better 0-60 times.
    The weight will also affect the handling. Think of where the added weight is on each trim, and you can guess how it will affect it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 CX5 vs 2019 Rav4
    By Lbear in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-31-2019, 10:45 AM
  2. 2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature
    By husker_soze in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 01-04-2019, 11:07 AM
  3. 2019's when?
    By BruT-804 in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 12-06-2018, 04:10 PM
  4. 2019 cx-5
    By SeeXFiver in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 1069
    Last Post: 11-04-2018, 09:49 PM
  5. When 2019 CX5?
    By erhayes in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-11-2018, 06:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •