Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 CX-5 2.5L vs. 2.5T

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

I have to admit that at the initial release of numbers and specs for the turbo I was kind of hoping for a bit better, but I am settling in on the new CX-5 T. It certainly sounds much better than 187 hp version that I have been driving since 2013 and I doubt seriously my wife is going to agree to let me get what I really want, a Porsche Macan S. Just once in my life I would like to make a crazy car purchase. I've always had to play frugal though I don't have to and I hate it.

For the class that the CX-5 is in I have come around to thinking it is still a solid bang for the buck. I get another couple of years with my current model to see if they make any other refinements.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    I have to admit that at the initial release of numbers and specs for the turbo I was kind of hoping for a bit better, but I am settling in on the new CX-5 T. It certainly sounds much better than 187 hp version that I have been driving since 2013 and I doubt seriously my wife is going to agree to let me get what I really want, a Porsche Macan S. Just once in my life I would like to make a crazy car purchase. I've always had to play frugal though I don't have to and I hate it.

For the class that the CX-5 is in I have come around to thinking it is still a solid bang for the buck. I get another couple of years with my current model to see if they make any other refinements.
    Lots of good used Macan's available for less than 40K. If the insurance and maintenance costs are acceptable, it could be worth it.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Lots of good used Macan's available for less than 40K. If the insurance and maintenance costs are acceptable, it could be worth it.
    Yep, I look at Cargurus weekly with about a 500 mile search radius. I have seen some amazing deals on the Macan S just over $40K and less than 30K mileage. One thing I did not realize was how well rated the Macan is in terms of reliability. Of course those extra wide tires and other things are not going to be cheap, but I expect that.

However, when I point one out to my wife and say, "that's what I want."
    She normally responds, "You're not getting a $300K car."
    I say, "it's only $40K slightly used."
    She says, "You're not getting a race car. You'll kill yourself. You already drive way too fast."

I have not worn her down yet and will keep working on it.

:-)

By the way she has seen some very significant bike race injuries and a whole lot of missing skin and blood from racing bikes. She knows I have a desire to go fast and take a lot of risk.
    Last edited by Felt_Rider; 01-29-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Yep, I look at Cargurus weekly with about a 500 mile search radius. I have seen some amazing deals on the Macan S just over $40K and less than 30K mileage. One thing I did not realize was how well rated the Macan is in terms of reliability. Of course those extra wide tires and other things are not going to be cheap, but I expect that.

She says, "You're not getting a race car. You'll kill yourself. You already drive way too fast."

The big thing for me is the insurance. I have 17 year old boy in the house. The insurance costs associated with that are insane. I was going to get a Mustang convertible (I know, I know) but the insurance was just ridiculous.

The other thing I have done, and very well, is to use the more expensive car as leverage with the wife for a better bike. Works every time!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

By the way she has seen some very significant bike race injuries and a whole lot of missing skin and blood from racing bikes. She knows I have a desire to go fast and take a lot of risk.
    Porsche's are super well made and reliable, by and large.
    My issue with the macan s is the mileage per gallon, and the performance. The performance does not warrant the mpg hit. 0-60 is sex just because of the DCT and launch mode. The 5-60 is well under a second ahead of the cx5T, which can take 87 and gets 30mpg on the highway in real world testing doing 70+. Thr handling of the macan s and cx5t both suck due to tires and both can easily be corrected with same.

You do gain Porsche ststus with the macan s though. Thats worth something.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    You do gain Porsche ststus with the macan s though. Thats worth something.
    That seems to be the crazy ridiculous madness that is driving me. The willingness to spend wildly for a status is beyond nuts and yet it is eating me inside like an extreme mid-life crisis gone berserk.
    I've at least calmed my desire to own a Porsche brand to a lower cost Macan S instead of the 992 GT3 that I really want. Now if I can calm it more and just stick with the CX-5, all (wife / retirement savings) will be happy. Edit: not yet retired

Registered Member

SUV

Quote Originally Posted by teslacles View Post
    For comparison, my current car is a 2013 Camry hybrid. Sounds tame, but it actually zips from 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, which puts it squarely between data I've seen for the 2.5L (~8.6 sec) and the 2.5T (~6.4 sec).
    Car & Driver posted a 0-60 time for the 2.5L FWD CX-5 at 7.8 seconds.

That is the model I would choose if I were you.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

If your only concerns are acceleration and performance, I would be looking at either a 2016 CX-5 or the 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve. There's a pretty significant price difference between the two. The 17-19 2.5 NA would only be an option if you really wanted the quieter cabin and newer interior.

Test drive both and see what you think. As Uno suggested, chances are good that you can find a decent CPO GT Reserve by Q4.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

That seems to be the crazy ridiculous madness that is driving me. The willingness to spend wildly for a status is beyond nuts and yet it is eating me inside like an extreme mid-life crisis gone berserk.
    I've at least calmed my desire to own a Porsche brand to a lower cost Macan S instead of the 992 GT3 that I really want. Now if I can calm it more and just stick with the CX-5, all (wife / retirement savings) will be happy. Edit: not yet retired
    Doesn't sound too ridiculous but I think spending for status is silly, I've kinda gone the other way in that I find it more rewarding now to give status a big suck it, its driving fun I'm after so bmw has lost me (just crazy $ for anything I'd want from them anymore)..but Biermann seems to get it. Who needs a Cayman S anyway(one i envisioned having) I found the perfect middle finger car and my kid can even fit in it..just not in blue:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/veloster-n

So keep or even upgrade your current cx5 with a 16 or 17 and go for something truly fun but still frugal on the side..my 2c
    Last edited by Monterra; 01-29-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- oh what a feelin!
    1991 Toyota MR2T 6MT- Awesome- fun AND dangerous
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI)- good until gremlins
    +enter bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -boring excellence
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers- should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - Not so boring excellence- continues to impress
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast and still did donuts, e-steering=fail
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N- 6MT or bust bitch (love that)fun/dollar untouchable right now(well BRZ but Veloster has a real back seat and smokes it)

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Iím with you on the Porsche want as thatís been a dream car of mine since childhood. Someday!

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 GT

I haven't driven one with the turbo so I can't comment on the quickness. But I can't justify an extra $6,000-$7,000 to shave 1.5 seconds off the 0-60. If I want quickness while merging, etc., the Sport Mode function is adequate. Then again, my situation may be different. If I want speed, I have motorcycles.
    Last edited by mox44ah; 01-29-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2016 Mazda CX-5 T -- sold
    2015 Yamaha FZ09 (Melisandre)
    2012 Yamaha R6 (Lucy) -- laid to rest
    2009 Mazda 3 (Fireball)
    1998 Chevy S-10 (Cindy)

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Honestly when I visit the Bay Area traffic is crawling so maybe a turbo isnít needed

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I live at altitude and the 2.5L NA is perfectly fine. A turbo just makes it all the better I am sure, but is not absolutely "necessary" in my opinion. Maybe matters more so in these heavier Gen 2's...I don't know. But I find the Gen 1 2.5L NA's to be very peppy.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by mox44ah View Post
    I haven't driven one with the turbo so I can't comment on the quickness. But I can't justify an extra $6,000-$7,000 to shave 1.5 seconds off the 0-60 and increase smile by 12.5 mm. If I want quickness while merging, etc., the Sport Mode function is adequate. Then again, my situation may be different. If I want speed, I have motorcycles.
    There, fixed it for ya LOL.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I*m with you on the Porsche want as that*s been a dream car of mine since childhood. Someday!
    I learned how to drive stick on a 944 Turbo and spent most of my senior year of high school and early college in a 928 (my brothers car). I can't tell you how easy it was to get girls with those keys...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast