Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2019 CX-5 2.5L vs. 2.5T

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Where do you need the fast acceleration? In city driving? Below 55 mph? If so, yes the 2.5L would be fast enough.

Above a certain speed, like above 60 mph, the acceleration is not fast enough for the 2.5L engine. You can compensate with Sport mode as I do, but if the speed limit is 70 mph on the highway and everyone is in a rush, you will find the 2.5L engine not fast enough.
    I've not had that impression at all, in fact, from a 60mph roll this thing is a beast compared to its 0-60. Took down a V6 mustang multiple times 60-110. Looked to be an '05 or something. Not the fastest, but c'mon.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by kodou808 View Post
    Another thing to look at:
    FWD: 3541lbs
    AWD: 3679lbs
    AWD Turbo: 3825lbs

The weight and drivetrain loss from AWD will make it a disadvantage using the same engine. The AWD model has a shorter final drive ratio to make up for this, but the FWD still seems to post better 0-60 times.
    The weight will also affect the handling. Think of where the added weight is on each trim, and you can guess how it will affect it.
    So far the AWD holds the fastest 0-60 time of 7.6 seconds.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
    Always wanted a Porsche when I was younger and finally bought a CPO followed by a new one a year later.

My '15 Cayman GTS (bought new) the day I brought it home:

Beautiful! By all accounts some of the best handling cars on the planet.

Registered Member

CX5 Siggy

When I test drove mine last week I was shocked at the low end torque and mid range punch. If money isn't a huge factor I can't see why you wouldn't go for it. Power fixes everything.

2017 BMW X1

I test drove a turbo and non-turbo today for the first time. I was impressed with the turbo. Very strong and smooth - at least as good as my BMW X1. I can really see this car having a cult following down the line.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the non-turbo. It is way stronger than I expected for daily driving. Biggest downside is the brief delay when you punch it.

So all things considered, I think my choice of CX-5 trims would hinge on features (ventilated seats, etc.) rather than the engine. Just my two cents.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

The non turbo is no slouch. I don't understand the "lack of power" some feel it has. Punch at higher speeds? Sure. But it has adequate power in my opinion.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 81k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    The non turbo is no slouch. I don't understand the "lack of power" some feel it has. Punch at higher speeds? Sure. But it has adequate power in my opinion.
    Adequate, yes, but the turbo model is a ringer for a stock 2019 manual wrx....thats kinda fun vs. "Adequate ".

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Adequate, yes, but the turbo model is a ringer for a stock 2019 manual wrx....thats kinda fun vs. "Adequate ".
    Never said it wasn't.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Never said it wasn't.
    But you really can have your cake and eat it to with the turbo, imo. Awd, good ground clearance, handling isnt horrid, and its pretty darn quick.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    I test drove a turbo and non-turbo today for the first time. I was impressed with the turbo. Very strong and smooth - at least as good as my BMW X1. I can really see this car having a cult following down the line.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the non-turbo. It is way stronger than I expected for daily driving. Biggest downside is the brief delay when you punch it.

So all things considered, I think my choice of CX-5 trims would hinge on features (ventilated seats, etc.) rather than the engine. Just my two cents.
    It doesn't like to be punched, uppercutted, or "hadokened"...but does like to be jabbed 20%.

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    It doesn't like to be punched, uppercutted, or "hadokened"...but does like to be jabbed 20%.
    I used punch too liberally. I have a pretty light foot. Generally found a delay in the throttle response. Not awful, just noticeable.
    Last edited by jmhumr; 02-16-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234