Question on trading up

Wait a minute...all OP wants mostly is the 2.5l engine option.

I wonder if he just buy a low mileage 2.5l engine. Pay dealership or shop to install it. Boom he'd have pay for the same amount as a down payment or less.

If this is doable the only downside is what to do with old 2.0 engine. Perhaps use the engine as a cool coffee table :)?

Lol no. I want AWD too

Touring. Cars like mine have been selling for 13-15k.

Thanks, this is the example I was hoping for.

I would normally agree, especially since this is my 6th vehicle (I'm 37) and my first new car. I've just been disappointed for so long on the lack of power of it. I live with some hills.

Thats what I've been reading lol

Double the mileage and you still got $9500? If I could get 10k then I would make the trade.

Indeed. More so the 2.0L vs 2.5L but AWD would be nice.

Yeah, another +1 for to hell with Fiat/Jeep/Chrysler.

Nah, I'm just going to keep this one. I'm looking to maybe downsize my career in the next 5 years or so, and that will be worth more than a damn Ferrari in my book.

I'm a big proponent of driving cars until the wheels fall off, I've never gotten rid if a car that had less than 100k miles on it. Is your 2.0 a manual of automatic? If its a manual, I'd keep it and invest a little money in it to make it what you want. But if you are wondering actual numbers, in July my dad purchased his Certified Pre-Owned 2016 CX-5 2.5 AWD Touring with Moonroof and Bose speaker package with just under 25000 miles on it. I think the sticker on it was $22500 and the price we ended up agreeing to was $20500 with no trade-in. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that's what it worked out to.

Agreed! I'd love to have a newer 2.5L but my 2013 GT runs great and returns awesome mileage. Consider your daily usage. How do you use the vehicle 90% of the time? For the rare family trips, we don't take the CX-5 into the mountains (2.0L screams going over the mountains) but we do use it for the family beach trips. My 90% usage is commuting to work, alone, for that I get awesome gas mileage and my build quality (at 45k miles) is still awesome. :)

If you do have to trade. I'd recommend selling private party your 2.0L and then buy a used 2.5L to avoid the financial hit.

Last edited:
Just don't get the Jeep. Take it from the one who knows most about the Jeep. There's one in my driveway right now. As most of the regulars know, my mom in law has a Cherokee and she travels a lot. I live literally 5 minutes from the airport and she leaves it here when she's gone.
We've had heated discussions here before about how the MZD handles and drives better then the rest. Some say we're talking out our asses because it's not a sports car. Let me tell you it's true. The Jeep is a boat compared to the Mazda. The Mazda steers heavy compared to any sedan but compared to the Jeep...trust me...you can feel the difference. It really does handle better especially in steering feel. I really felt it today as I took the Jeep to work. It lumbers. The Mazda DRIVES. Seriously, it's almost night and day.
There is one thing the Jeep does better: heated seats. That's it. By the time my Mazda starts to emit heat, I'm turning down the seats in the Jeep. These might be the fastest heated seats I've seen in any car.
If that's your #1...do you live in Yellow Knife, Canada? Get the Jeep. If you value anything else #1? Mazda....

Just don't get the Jeep. Take it from the one who knows most about the Jeep. There's one in my driveway right now. As most of the regulars know, my mom in law has a Cherokee and she travels a lot. I live literally 5 minutes from the airport and she leaves it here when she's gone.
We've had heated discussions here before about how the MZD handles and drives better then the rest. Some say we're talking out our asses because it's not a sports car. Let me tell you it's true. The Jeep is a boat compared to the Mazda. The Mazda steers heavy compared to any sedan but compared to the Jeep...trust me...you can feel the difference. It really does handle better especially in steering feel. I really felt it today as I took the Jeep to work. It lumbers. The Mazda DRIVES. Seriously, it's almost night and day.
There is one thing the Jeep does better: heated seats. That's it. By the time my Mazda starts to emit heat, I'm turning down the seats in the Jeep. These might be the fastest heated seats I've seen in any car.
If that's your #1...do you live in Yellow Knife, Canada? Get the Jeep. If you value anything else #1? Mazda....

Until the new GTR, etc. Jeeps are just way nicer than Mazdas, but they just fall apart, is my qualm. My 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee was nicer than all but the top trim 2019+ CX5's IMO

Until the new GTR, etc. Jeeps are just way nicer than Mazdas, but they just fall apart, is my qualm. My 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee was nicer than all but the top trim 2019+ CX5's IMO
Well, a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee would cost about $32K to $41K today (depending on trim level), inflation adjusted, so the high trim CX-5s would be the most appropriate comparison.

Well, a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee would cost about $32K to $41K today (depending on trim level), inflation adjusted, so the high trim CX-5s would be the most appropriate comparison.

True, but a decade older nearly, and has almost all the same creature comforts, plus nice things like remote start, etc.

Last edited:
That's not even the point. The CX5 competes against the Cherokee, not the Grand Cherokee. A 2010 Cherokee isn't nicer then a 2016 CX5 Sport model.

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation, Uno! [emoji39]

Last option......... should I just keep the 2013, lower and throw some wheels on it?

sorry for the ramble lol

Wife does not want to sell nor trade in her 2013 2.0 model. Fully paid for and averages 30 combined mpgs no sweat. About 100k on it. I do all the maintenance (oil changes, plugs, tranny fluids, brake pads, ect.). No leaks and runs ecellent. She only wants to trade it when significant repairs are needed. Not looking to get rid of it until 2021-2022 or so.

I recently traded in my 2014 CX-5 GT for a new 2018 GT, as the 2019's were just released and deals were available on the existing 2018 stock. Now, I only had 63,000 KM(39,000 mi) on my mint 2014, so some might say that was early to trade up considering the low mileage, BUT, I negotiated hard and got $17,000 (Canadian) for the trade-in and I thought that I had reached the sweet spot in time to get the most money out of it considering that Gen 1 CX-5's are depreciating so quickly.

Last edited:
Wife does not want to sell nor trade in her 2013 2.0 model. Fully paid for and averages 30 combined mpgs no sweat. About 100k on it. I do all the maintenance (oil changes, plugs, tranny fluids, brake pads, ect.). No leaks and runs ecellent. She only wants to trade it when significant repairs are needed. Not looking to get rid of it until 2021-2022 or so.

IMO: Lots of life left in it and $$ savings the longer you hold it.

Well after looking at 4 different AWD GT's I successfully traded up.

I traded my 2013 FWD touring w/ 60k miles for a 2016 AWD GT w/ 30k miles and remaining warranty.

Last edited:
Back