Question on trading up

Snacks

Contributor
:
CX-5 AWD GT
Been awhile since I've posted on here.

My 2013 CX-5 has been great to me for every one of the 59k miles I have put on it but I've been thinking of trading up or away from the CX-5 for a long time as well purely because of the 2.0's lack of HP. When I bought it I was in need of a car asap because my Jeep Cherokee was falling apart and would have cost around 6k to fix. I purchased in November of 2012 and discovered a month or two later that the 2.5L was coming in the next model year. I've regretted not researching enough prior to my purchase ever since and I also miss having 4 wheel drive. The AWD model wasn't in my budget at the time either.

So here we are....6 years later, the car has been paid off for a few years, and I want to trade up or away. I have recently been looking at the new Jeep Cherokee's and tbh the reliability ratings suck. I would stay with the CX-5 if I can trade up to a newer year and with AWD if it wouldn't be a large financial problem.

For those of you that have traded up ( I've read that a few have ) how easy was it? What was your cost difference?

Lets say for example, I want to trade my 2013 touring with 59k miles for a 2014+ AWD GT. Whats the likelihood I could trade up for under $6-8k?

Trading and buying new isn't an option, wifey gets the next new car. She's been running around in a 08 altima with 100k.

Last option......... should I just keep the 2013, lower and throw some wheels on it?

sorry for the ramble lol

I am confused, you say you are looking at new Cherokees, but yet you say you can't get new cx-5?

I would go for a CPO 2016 if you like the first gen, or the CPO 2017 if you like the 2nd gen. Don't bother with the 2014 or 2015 as they still have all the old infotainment, old nav, none of the noise improvements or interior upgrades. The 2017 and newer is a completely different car, much plusher, quieter, buttoned up.

I meant newer since the Cherokee went through a model and company change (fiat/chrysler) since my 2000 model year.

Keep yours and get your wife a 2019 CX5T that you can drive some as well.

For what it's worth, I traded in my 2016 Touring with 55K miles for a new 2018 GT. They gave me $14,000 for my 2016 towards the new one. They started out at $12,500 but after some haggling, I got them to come up to $14,000. Oh, and it wasn't in mint condition. It desperately needed new tires, a wheel bearing in one of the wheels, and had 1 accident on the carfax report.

Since you bought your 2013 new and have taken care of it, has low mileage, I would definitely keep it. Jeeps are now a real gamble because of reliability. Ed

I'm a big proponent of driving cars until the wheels fall off, I've never gotten rid if a car that had less than 100k miles on it. Is your 2.0 a manual of automatic? If its a manual, I'd keep it and invest a little money in it to make it what you want. But if you are wondering actual numbers, in July my dad purchased his Certified Pre-Owned 2016 CX-5 2.5 AWD Touring with Moonroof and Bose speaker package with just under 25000 miles on it. I think the sticker on it was $22500 and the price we ended up agreeing to was $20500 with no trade-in. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that's what it worked out to.

My 2013 CX-5 has been great to me for every one of the 59k miles I have put on it but I've been thinking of trading up or away from the CX-5 for a long time as well purely because of the 2.0's lack of HP. When I bought it I was in need of a car asap because my Jeep Cherokee was falling apart and would have cost around 6k to fix. I purchased in November of 2012 and discovered a month or two later that the 2.5L was coming in the next model year. I've regretted not researching enough prior to my purchase ever since and I also miss having 4 wheel drive. The AWD model wasn't in my budget at the time either.

So here we are....6 years later, the car has been paid off for a few years, and I want to trade up or away. I have recently been looking at the new Jeep Cherokee's and tbh the reliability ratings suck. I would stay with the CX-5 if I can trade up to a newer year and with AWD if it wouldn't be a large financial problem.

For those of you that have traded up ( I've read that a few have ) how easy was it? What was your cost difference?

Lets say for example, I want to trade my 2013 touring with 59k miles for a 2014+ AWD GT. Whats the likelihood I could trade up for under $6-8k?

Trading and buying new isn't an option, wifey gets the next new car. She's been running around in a 08 altima with 100k.

Last option......... should I just keep the 2013, lower and throw some wheels on it?

sorry for the ramble lol

Whatever you do AVOID Jeep/Dodge/FIAT products like the plague. Total junk.

sorry for the ramble lol

You have super low miles, but the CX5 doesn't hold value at all hardly, so I'd estimate that they give you $5-7500 or so. My local Mazda dealer offered me $9500 for my 103K mile AWD 2.5L 2015 Touring model in great shape (flawless interior, very minor paint imperfections, small dime-size door ding type dent or two) with new tires and brakes on it. The Toyota dealer offered me $7500 cash, but said they would give more if I traded it on a vehicle they had. I just kept it.

Gen2 is 8.4 seconds to 60. Your 2.0 is 8.9
So you decide if 7000 dollars is worth it. Gen2 resale is a whole different animal vs Gen1 so keep that in mind, last I checked there were 2 Gen2s in entire US under 20K USD whereas there were about 600 Rav4s with same year mileage filter. Gen1 2.0 is an mpg unicorn as well. New wheels and lowering it should help and be cheapest option. You are out of warranty so might as well tweak it a little.

Keep yours/ trade in your wife's 11 year old car before it starts giving her trouble for a 2019 CX5 (non turbo to save money)/ use her car for weekends and vacation so you get to drive it too.

Gen2 is 8.4 seconds to 60. Your 2.0 is 8.9
So you decide if 7000 dollars is worth it. Gen2 resale is a whole different animal vs Gen1 so keep that in mind, last I checked there were 2 Gen2s in entire US under 20K USD whereas there were about 600 Rav4s with same year mileage filter. Gen1 2.0 is an mpg unicorn as well. New wheels and lowering it should help and be cheapest option. You are out of warranty so might as well tweak it a little.

He lives in StL, mo so awd may be a bigger deal.

You have super low miles, but the CX5 doesn't hold value at all hardly, so I'd estimate that they give you $5-7500 or so. My local Mazda dealer offered me $9500 for my 103K mile AWD 2.5L 2015 Touring model in great shape (flawless interior, very minor paint imperfections, small dime-size door ding type dent or two) with new tires and brakes on it. The Toyota dealer offered me $7500 cash, but said they would give more if I traded it on a vehicle they had. I just kept it.

Wow, your car had TWICE the average mileage on it. That*s not a great price reference because mileage is a pretty quick drain on value. KBB says the trade-in range for the OP car is $10-11.5k, which seems more appropriate for the mileage and is twice the value of our guess.

PSA: Best option is almost always to sell on your own. Mazda*s hold their value just fine. I got $5600 private party for my 2007 CX-7 with 120k miles last summer. Private party value for OP car is up to $14k! I don't understand why people are willing to pay $3-4k for the "convenience" of trading in with a dealer. Unless you live in a super rural area or are in a rush, there's no reason to accept that robbery. It's so bad that I've strongly considered starting a car "realtor" type business.

Last edited:
True but he is entering a purple patch wrt depreciation and reliability. Why would he want to miss out on that? He drives 10k miles a year. Still 4-5 years of life left unless he is seeing rust.
For me my gen1 target is 150K Miles after which it will be sold to CarMax or traded in.

What trim is yours? I did a very fast St Louis search based on a 13 Touring and yes... you should be able to get a 2016 Mazda CX5 for under $7-$10 grand with your trade in. GO FOR IT.

Touring. Cars like mine have been selling for 13-15k.

For what it's worth, I traded in my 2016 Touring with 55K miles for a new 2018 GT. They gave me $14,000 for my 2016 towards the new one. They started out at $12,500 but after some haggling, I got them to come up to $14,000. Oh, and it wasn't in mint condition. It desperately needed new tires, a wheel bearing in one of the wheels, and had 1 accident on the carfax report.

Thanks, this is the example I was hoping for.

I'm a big proponent of driving cars until the wheels fall off, I've never gotten rid if a car that had less than 100k miles on it. Is your 2.0 a manual of automatic? If its a manual, I'd keep it and invest a little money in it to make it what you want. But if you are wondering actual numbers, in July my dad purchased his Certified Pre-Owned 2016 CX-5 2.5 AWD Touring with Moonroof and Bose speaker package with just under 25000 miles on it. I think the sticker on it was $22500 and the price we ended up agreeing to was $20500 with no trade-in. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that's what it worked out to.

I would normally agree, especially since this is my 6th vehicle (I'm 37) and my first new car. I've just been disappointed for so long on the lack of power of it. I live with some hills.

Whatever you do AVOID Jeep/Dodge/FIAT products like the plague. Total junk.

Thats what I've been reading lol

Double the mileage and you still got $9500? If I could get 10k then I would make the trade.

Indeed. More so the 2.0L vs 2.5L but AWD would be nice.

I really enjoyed going from the 2.0 to the 2.5 AWD, it was a very nice upgrade. You will however miss the MPG from the 2.0, (~4-5mpg).

My parents have just upgraded their CX-5 from a 2016 to a 2018 and I got to spend some time in theirs. It is wonderful, and such an amazing upgrade from the first gen.

I really enjoyed going from the 2.0 to the 2.5 AWD, it was a very nice upgrade. You will however miss the MPG from the 2.0, (~4-5mpg).

My parents have just upgraded their CX-5 from a 2016 to a 2018 and I got to spend some time in theirs. It is wonderful, and such an amazing upgrade from the first gen.

I can deal with the MPG loss, lifetime in mine is 28.6 MPG. I work from home which is why I don't have a lot of miles.

Wait a minute...all OP wants mostly is the 2.5l engine option.

I wonder if he just buy a low mileage 2.5l engine. Pay dealership or shop to install it. Boom he'd have pay for the same amount as a down payment or less.

If this is doable the only downside is what to do with old 2.0 engine. Perhaps use the engine as a cool coffee table :)?

Back