2016 Mazda CX-5 RUST!

:
Mazda Cx-5 Grand Touring
Hello All,

I hope this thread belongs here, I couldn't find one already on this topic...
I am new to the forum and wanted some (or all) of your opinions. I recently purchased a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT used (53k) from a Mazda dealer (it was a lease return) and was told by the dealer that there should be no rust because of how new it was (2016). I took his word for it, its a reliable dealership and purchased the car. Now at home I am crawling all around it and and finding quite a bit of rust that I didnt think possible! I wanted to get this vehicle rust checked ($150 compared to the dealer undercoating of $699) and am now worried that the damage is done and there is no point. To me it looks like surface rust however there looks to be too much for me to repair myself (I am pretty handy when it comes to engines and construction stuff) and I am wondering if anyone else is having or had this issue. I know some of you will say that it is my fault for not looking harder at the dealership but the damage is done, what can I do now? If anything I hope it prompts you to look under your car every once in a while! Thanks!

PS I live in Upstate NY (Syracuse area)

-Ross
Drive shaft pic 2.jpgCenter rear differential pic.jpgFront right wheel support pic 2.jpgCenter Right rear suspension pic.jpgFront left wheel support pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
Hello All,

I hope this thread belongs here, I couldn't find one already on this topic...
I am new to the forum and wanted some (or all) of your opinions. I recently purchased a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT used (53k) from a Mazda dealer (it was a lease return) and was told by the dealer that there should be no rust because of how new it was (2016). I took his word for it, its a reliable dealership and purchased the car. Now at home I am crawling all around it and and finding quite a bit of rust that I didnt think possible! I wanted to get this vehicle rust checked ($150 compared to the dealer undercoating of $699) and am now worried that the damage is done and there is no point. To me it looks like surface rust however there looks to be too much for me to repair myself (I am pretty handy when it comes to engines and construction stuff) and I am wondering if anyone else is having or had this issue. I know some of you will say that it is my fault for not looking harder at the dealership but the damage is done, what can I do now? If anything I hope it prompts you to look under your car every once in a while! Thanks!

PS I live in Upstate NY (Syracuse area)

-Ross
View attachment 220239View attachment 220236View attachment 220240View attachment 220237View attachment 220238

Actually, it looks pretty good for a 3-4 winter old NYC car to me... Maybe just get the underbody treated with the oil?

Thanks @mazdadude! So you think I should go ahead with some form of rust proofing (fluid film or another oil type)?

-Ross

That's really nothing. I'm just north of you across the lake. I spray our cars with Fluid Film and Crown (see if you have locations in your area). Next year I will try chain and bar oil, it sticks much better.
Any oil undercoating will do in your case. Just stay away from one-time-and-forget (Ziebart) or rubberized stuff. Dripping is good.
Oh, and don't touch the exhaust, unless you like driving around in clouds of smoke :) Yeah, it IS stainless steel...

Thanks @yugrus! I might be getting paranoid over nothing then! I appreciate the input, definitely planning on getting some oil under there asap!

-Ross

That is just minor surface rust, nothing to worry about. When it gets so rusty that you can poke a hole through it, then you have a problem. Fluid film is an excellent product and will drastically slow the rusting process if not stop it altogether. I had my full size, extended cab long bed pickup truck fluid filmed this past fall for $150. I may have my dad's CX-5 done next year.

Worth noting, my 2015 Subaru Outback is one year older and has twice as many miles as my dad's 2016 Mazda CX-5 and it is not as rusty underneath as the CX-5. The CX-5 still isn't bad, it looks about the same as yours, Ross. Though it seems the Subaru has held up a little better to the corrosive brine and road salt.

Look at this new RDX being review by savagegeese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra00fdMCnZA

Wow. Half way through the video at around the 15 minute mark is where he is reviewing the undercarriage on that RDX.
He blows away the rust like it's just a speck of dirt.
No way a brand new car should look like that, even after a short drive or two in bad weather.
That rust didn't show up overnight. It takes time to get like that.
I imagine it sat around a while before it was purchased. The rust would have already been there.
If I bought a brand new car and saw that under there, I'd demand a replacement. Not acceptable.
Imagine what it will look like in five years. Go Honda.

20190125-083216-2.jpg

20190125-083446-3.jpg

unfortunately seems they do rust from new. Parts of paint are missing and surface rust shows there.
Mine was like this as brand new and I am in Phoenix.

Thanks to everyone with your comments and help. I plan to take some action just not sure what yet be it fluid film, rust-checking, something. I am open to more suggestions so keep firing away! Thanks again.

-Ross

Both ends of the drive shaft are prone to rust. And the bolts holding two back brackets in the back. I was back under my car hitting spots with fluid film. My neighbor must think I'm crazy lol. The thing is, rarely will I have a nice shiney undercarriage with little rust and I want to prolong it. Nature ends up winning in the end, but for now I am crawling under my car with a paper towel and a can of fluid film once a month or so.

20190125-083216-2.jpg

20190125-083446-3.jpg

unfortunately seems they do rust from new. Parts of paint are missing and surface rust shows there.
Mine was like this as brand new and I am in Phoenix.

Some of the frame welds are prone to getting surface rust. You shouldn't have to worry about bad rust in Phoenix I don't think.

Yes thats true. I was just was a bit surprised.
Sometime ago used to have a 20 year old car (not in phx though) which had amazing galvanization but I guess they dont make them to last so long anymore.

Was under my car this afternoon looking for rust. I found no new rust but sprayed a little more film on parts. Mazda really should use a better coating over undercarriage welds instead of just the paint that everything else is painted with. Anywho, so far so good. CX-5 is a pretty good car.

It takes a while to get from Japan to North America on boat. Have you seen how cars are stacked up on the carrier? Some sea salt definitely gets up there to the metal. Even if the ship does not encounter overly rough seas, salt is all over cars on and above the deck. Cars arrive at the port of entry with specks of rust already. If they are shipped further by rail, they get nice orange color specks embedded in paint from rail road freight.
This is nothing to worry about on the new car. Don't kill yourself worrying. If you're near rust belt, get it undercoated. Arizona? NM? Forget it. Enjoy it as it is, these specs of rust are gonna be there for the rest of the vehicle's life, and wouldn't go anywhere. Wouldn't spread either

My Mercedes glk is 6 years old and there is no rust underneath the vehicle. Even the bolts arent rusted. I didnt rustproof either. I live in Toronto Canada which gets a ton of salt... I just chalk it up to Japanese cars. They all rust like crazy.

Back