Oscillation with rear window open

Joe, most cars do this, it*s perfectly normal. Just crack a second widow open to let the air out and it will stop.

, got a friend and he said it's really bad........... it would make a baby cry
Wierd analogy. Has your friend been around many babies? Doesn't take much to make them cry. Haha
still can't be good for the suv or ears.......... !
And it's certainly not hurting you or the car.

maybe I have sensitive ears then, because I can't leave it open for more than a few seconds.. I
have to plug ears ... or wear ear plugs.. to lessen pain..

I didn't know about this buffeting , coming from trucks most of my life, and not this bad......
if I open both rear windows it still does it too.........

If I open a front and rear then it lessens it , but still can hear it somewhat............

Might start going to other dealers and test drive rav 4 , crv and see if they have this problem...
out of curiosity

and yeah, I know babies can cry over anything , maybe he was calling me a baby ...
ha...

I just rented a new 2019 RAV4, put about 500 miles on it, it had the absolute worst booming oscillation I have ever experienced in any vehicle I have ever been in. Period. Nothing we did by opening any of the windows in any companion helped. All vehicles have oscillation, it is simply how airflow works, generally by venting another opening it can be controlled. On my 14 CX 5 I vent the sunroof. I have not found the CX5 to be that bad, currently no worse than any other similar vehicle. The RAV 4 however was terrible.

Sorry this segment of cars are just like that. My CX-5 does the same thing if only rears are down....but so have other cars I have tried in this segment.

Aerodynamics and all that...Just how it goes. Crack the fronts down and problem goes.

Had the problem in my old 4 door car too, thought not as bad.

Pure aerodynamics at work.
Every car with good aerodynamics does this with one window open.
When two are open, the resonation reduces drastically.

aerodynamics,
Try this, open the passenger rear window, next open the sunroof... The air will come in got to the back of the vehicle, make its way back up to the drivers side and to the drivers seat area and go out the sunroof.. your passenger will not feel any air...

Next reverse the two rear windows, close the passenger rear side window open the Drivers side rear window, you the driver will not feel anything, but look over at you girl next to you in the passenger seat and see her hair flying all over the place...

Then close the sunroof & you will hear two things.. 1st the thumping from the air, as described in the first post... 2nd the thumping your getting from your girlfriend as she hits you for messing up her hair.....

haha, funny ....... about gf hitting ya..........

well, don't have a sunroof...........
but have tried different combos with the 4 windows and it does lessen with front windows open,

guess many don't drive with windows open...... including me, was just experimenting

guess many don't drive with windows open...... including me, was just experimenting

I drive with windows open almost every morning on the way into work or at night when the roads are empty...just not only a rear window. It's how ever vehicle I've ever been in has worked. Goes away with front windows or sunroof being cracked open.

Yeah I've seen people driving around with rear windows open and I don't see how they can do it. My wife's old Corolla did it real bad, and so has every other 4-door vehicle I've driven. Unfortunately our CX5 doesn't have a sunroof so I can't drive it with only the rear windows down. I barely even go with front windows down because of the whistling noises from the driver side mirror. My Integra only has 2 doors and a sunroof, and I drive with those open as much as I possibly can.

Back