Oscillation with rear window open

:
2018 CX 5 Touring AWD
I opened 1 rear window fully at 65mph and experienced a severe vibration/oscillation at speed. Any body else notice this?

It*s the air inflating the car and then deflating when it can contain no more. You need to crack open one of the other windows slightly and it will stop.

I've had it happen on lots of cars. Not every one, but it's pretty common in my experience. I normally wouldn't have the windows wide open at 65 mph though.

All my vehicles (cars, minivans, SUVs) through the years experienced this. What cars did you have before?

Some of my cars were worse than others, but all of them exhibited some level of buffeting.
My Pathfinder is bad for that. It sometimes makes my ears pop if I don't open another window.

All my vehicles (cars, minivans, SUVs) through the years experienced this. What cars did you have before?

I had been driving a 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS with factory body kit for the past 15 years

I only opened the rear window today because a stinky old pick up in front of me had belched noxious fumes into my cabin. It was below 20 degrees this morning and I did not want to open the front window and get cold air directly on me.

I opened 1 rear window fully at 65mph and experienced a severe vibration/oscillation at speed. Any body else notice this?

Did you try changing the HVAC to FRESH instead of RECIRC? Might be enough to help.

Open the opposite front side window. By adjusting the opening you can quiet it, and even get a mild breeze on the back of you head, assuming the open rear window is on the passenger side, and the front is the drivers.

Last edited:
Totally normal. Every car does it to one degree or another.

well, I had to bump this thread, because it happened to me too !

Nice day outside, first time opened a window in my new cx5... only going 45mph and opened front right
window, no problem......... then closed...
Opened rear right and the noise from the buffeting is almost painful ! Never heard a vehicle have such a bad
vib from wind ! And it get worse the faster you go........

I figured maybe it's me , got a friend and he said it's really bad........... it would make a baby cry ...... and I'm
sure it would ! If I open both back windows it still happens too.........

If I open back window and front window it lessens but still can't be good for the suv or ears.......... !

Figured I'd check this forum and see if any others had complained about this and see it's a known problem

Guess I won't go to dealers on monday and put sales lady through this torture .....

just venting ...

Has anyone tried wind deflectors to reduce the buffeting ??

thanks for info

joe

Back