Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs at 40k ?

2016 CX-9 GT

Spark Plugs at 40k ?

Iím far from an expert, but doesnít 40k miles seem very early for spark plug replacement in a 2016+ model? Thatís what the service manual calls for. Seems crazy to me. The dealer just quoted me $250 for parts and labor. That also seems crazy.

Registered Member

Check the Service Schedule provided with the vehicle. All you need to know about what's needed is there.

2016 CX-9 GT

The owners manual calls for plug changes at 40k miles. I was commenting that 40k seems exceptionally early for that.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Go to the dealership only for warranty repairs or repairs too complex for an independent shop. Any shop can do spark plugs, and it'll be much lower cost than the dealer. You know the dealership will also try to scare you into additional repairs as well.

40k would also be a good time to drain & refill the automatic transmission for owners who expect to have their car for a few hundreds of thousands of miles. Modern ATF is probably good for 100k. Draining and refilling changes something like 40% of the fluid, so doing it periodically will keep the fluid fresh and protective.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 60_Driver View Post
    The owners manual calls for plug changes at 40k miles. I was commenting that 40k seems exceptionally early for that.
    OH. Well in that case I agree with PTguy with regard to finding a decent independent to do the work.

The markup at the dealership is insane for mundane maintenence for things like plugs etc.... The upsell pressure and the rest of the general noise there is almost criminal. I really do believe it's much worse now in service since the internet more or less removed the ability to rake people over the coals on the sales side. They just moved the source of the shady dealings to the back of the shop so they can continue to squeeze people.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

When compared with other similar TURBO direct injected motors, Mazda's recommended maintenance at 40K miles may seem low. Most likely they would have no issue making it to 75k miles. However, misfires can cause so much damage, I think this is a good place to heed the factory recommendations.

We should be seeing a lot of the forum members 2016 CX-9 2.5 Turbo's needing plugs now, it will be interesting to see the visual condition of the plugs upon removal.

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by rowlands57 View Post
    OH. Well in that case I agree with PTguy with regard to finding a decent independent to do the work.
    You buy a car that depreciates at around $5,000 a year. You pay what, $1,500 a year for insurance? You spend $2,000 a year on gas. You probably spend hundreds more on car washes and parking and accessories and such. And you worry about paying the dealer $100 extra for service work once a year? Come on, guys, not every dealer is a crook, and the work he does is guaranteed.

I'm not a shill for dealers, but I think this whole thing about going to indies is overrated.

2016 CX-9 GT

Good feedback, gents. Thank you! My local mechanic I trust (his wife has a last gen CX-9 & he does honest work on my old Chevy pickup) said it would take him 30 min of labor to do the plugs. The Mazda OEM plugs are $22/each. I didnít find much else for aftermarket options when I did a quick search.

Registered Member

Good feedback, gents. Thank you! My local mechanic I trust (his wife has a last gen CX-9 & he does honest work on my old Chevy pickup) said it would take him 30 min of labor to do the plugs. The Mazda OEM plugs are $22/each. I didn*t find much else for aftermarket options when I did a quick search.
    So about $133 or so at a shop that you trust. Sounds like a win to me and that also sounds about in line with what it should be for a simple 4 cylinder engine. It'll likely take longer to get the engine cover and coils packs off than it will to remove/replace the plugs.

Registered Member

Apparently proprietary plugs for this engine. No listing on either the NGK nor Denso web sites for plugs for this engine. Check the on line vendors for the Mazda PY8V18110, and hunt for the vendor that doesn't gouge too much for shipping. Let us know what you find.
    Last edited by PTguy; 01-23-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda Cx-9 Sport

so i've been researching and that instead of using the expensive ass oem spark plugs, NGK has made one for our cars. part #LTR6IX-11, i might get those instead of the oem ones.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

IMO shell out extra for OEM for knock on wood warranty-sake until your warranty expires.

Registered Member

NGK shows that fitment for the 2015 CX-9. I'm not sure it is the correct plug. It might be...NGK or Denso makes the plugs, not Mazda. Has anybody pulled one and check for the catalog number on the plug?

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9887

2016 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    IMO shell out extra for OEM for knock on wood warranty-sake until your warranty expires.
    Thatís where Iím at, too.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda Cx-9 Sport

Yes I would but I'm at 50k miles on the car and my CPO warranty expires at 53. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get the ngk!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast