2013 CX-5 will not start (green key light on dash + green push button light)

gorillatomato

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
Hello,

I am having issues starting my car.

As I mentioned, there is a green key light on the dash and a green push button starter light. The fob works and seems to be being detected by the car. This has happened once before recently to my wife but eventually the car just started.

It doesn't really seem to turn over at all. It sounds as though the car 'clicks' once and then nothing.

The brake pedal also seems as though it is staying depressed at the moment or just not really moving.

Any advice would be welcomed as I do not want to have to tow it to the dealer if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

If that is the original battery my then 6 years is way past expected service life, but don't get cheap make sure to stay with an AGM battery.

Likely a new battery is in your future. The clicking is the starter motor trying to turn over but not getting enough current. On some cars, you can quickly verify this by turning on the headlights and try to start the car, if they dim significantly or go out completely, the battery doesn't have enough capacity left to turn the engine over with the starter. I replaced the battery myself, its not a difficult job, but a dealer will check your charging system (or they should) when replacing the battery and also dispose of the old battery (which is a pain to do yourself.)

If you haven't already, try jump starting your vehicle, if it starts you will know it is a battery issue.

Back