P013A Code and AWD Warning Light

mz3ns

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GX AWD
My 2015 CX-5 (125k km/77k miles) through up a CEL, so I bought a bluetooth OBD2 reader off amazon.

The code it gave was P013a, which I can find very little info about besides the TSB about the exhaust gasket. While I was waiting for the reader to arrive, the AWD warning light also came on. The reader picked no code up for that one however.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts before I take it to my dealership and get them to have a look?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that helpful response...

I have already looked at google and determined it is either a bad sensor OR a leaking gasket as per the TSB I referenced. Combined with the AWD warning light I have decided to take it to the dealer to have it looked at.

All I wanted was to see if there is anything else I should know, check or be aware of before I take it in.

Here is an excerpt from the workshop manual..
4BxRvuC.jpg

Thanks for that, I already had (my public library has a Chilton membership for repair manuals). My dealer confirmed it is the O2 sensor that needs to be replaced.

As for the AWD light, it is a bad sensor apparently that involves putting a new rear differential in.

I'll stick my nose in here.Even though I don't know much about AWD, depending who is paying for it,I'd get a second opinion before putting out any money for a rear differential.Is the O2 sensor covered under warranty for anti-pollution devices which is typically longer than the standard factory warranty?Sounds like this could get pricey. Jmaz

Read the shop report after I picked the car up, bad solinoid in the rear differential. The O2 sensor is considered a wearable item apperently so it isn't covered by any warrenty, doesn't seem too hard to change the downstream one so I am going to pick up some ramps and attempt it in a few months when the snow/ice are gone or I get access to a garage for a few hours.

It is being replaced under a TSB/warrenty for water in the differential. Unfortunately rust and corrosion kill everything on the bottom of cars out here in the east coast of Canada. I've already had to replace a rear caliper that was seized up from corrosion.

Last edited:
Read the shop report after I picked the car up, bad solinoid in the rear differential. The O2 sensor is considered a wearable item apperently so it isn't covered by any warrenty, doesn't seem too hard to change the downstream one so I am going to pick up some ramps and attempt it in a few months when the snow/ice are gone or I get access to a garage for a few hours.

It is being replaced under a TSB/warrenty for water in the differential. Unfortunately rust and corrosion kill everything on the bottom of cars out here in the east coast of Canada. I've already had to replace a rear caliper that was seized up from corrosion.

My AWD died an identical death. Did you at any point go through any water of any depth?
Are you saying there is a TSB for the issue? Link/list it?

My AWD died an identical death. Did you at any point go through any water of any depth?
Are you saying there is a TSB for the issue? Link/list it?

I have a hard time finding it on the web, from the Chilton Library I think it's this one he is referring to. It says it can be caused by high-pressure water entering the car.

I don't know if this is the actual cause or if they are just saying it to get the repair of a bad solenoid covered under warranty or not. It's wouldn't be the first time the dealer has gone to bat for me to get things covered that wouldn't normally be. (Had a few messed up/stripped wheel studs not done by them, they put through as a bad wheel bearing if I remember correctly. That way warranty covered the repair and I didn't have to pay anything.)

Also I haven't used a forum in a long time, so hopefully the image shows up properly.

Back