2001 Protege Overheating going up hill

upmrtni

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
This Protege has been an amazing car for me... bought it with 132k... now I am up to 271k.

I have noticed lately that when I am driving up hill the temp gauge rises and gets close to overheating... but as soon as I am over the hill the temp gauge returns to normal.

I have no problems driving 45 miles to and from work each day... keeping it under 70 mph seems to help that.

A couple of days ago I checked under the hood and noticed that only one of the two fans on the radiator was working.

Could this be a relay problem? I saw a video that some Mazda's have another sensor that can go from time to time that activates the secondary fan.

Or could it be the thermostat?

Would really appreciate some insight into what the problem could be. I will be fixing this issue over weekend... if possible.

Thermostat. How is the coolant strength?? What about the water pump?? So your car must have ac to have 2 fans..

I had the water pump, timing belt and alternator belt all replaced in 2017, when the water pump s*** the bed.

As far as coolant strength I just added some to the reservoir recently, but I couldn't tell you the last time that it was changed.

The car has AC put I don't really use it.

Ok..so I would flush and refill the coolant and a new thermostat.. at least a 50/50 mix..which you can buy at most parts stores..

Back