2018 CX-5 GT Only 2500 miles with rear brake caliper failure

:
2018 CX-5 GT AWD
I'm just wondering if this has happened to any other 2018 CX-5 GT owners. I recently noticed some noise during high speed braking on the freeway. When I was washing the car I noticed heavy grooving on the left rear rotor. I immediately scheduled an appointment for inspection the next day and they reported that the caliper was defective and not properly releasing the emergency brake. They also noted that the right side had pretty badly burnt rotors. They replaced the caliper, rotors, and pads. They also oversprayed some sort of acid chemical and it's etched into the drivers side window now, where do they find these guys? haha. This vehicle only has 2500 miles on it! Kinda concerning to me, and hoping it's not signs of things to come. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure?

Wow. I guess you just got a defective one, it is practically brand new. And if the rotors were burned and they did not replace the other calipers you better keep an eye on them- make sure your car rolls freely and has no drag, monitor your mpg to see if it gets lower, and if you have an infrared temperature gun check the temperature of all 4 rotors after a drive. The two rears should be about the same temperature and the two fronts should be about the same temperature. I didn't know they sprayed an acid capable of etching glass, I thought they only used brake cleaner. Thanks for the heads up, I will be keeping an eye on mine now. The glass etching is strange. No paint damage?

I really hate the stupid EE brake, and the "auto hold", i have yet to discover what that does. I love the tech focus of the new cx5, but want my cable operated manual e brake. Emergency items should be gross motor skill and independent of as many other systems as possible, imo

I really hate the stupid EE brake, and the "auto hold", i have yet to discover what that does. I love the tech focus of the new cx5, but want my cable operated manual e brake. Emergency items should be gross motor skill and independent of as many other systems as possible, imo

I'm not a fan of the electronic emergency brakes either. I use my emergency brakes a lot, practically every time I park and they are points of failure. With the cable ones and a hand brake they are too simple to fail plus I could feather the hand emergency brake while driving.
I tried using the brake hold when going up car ramps, they hold except as soon as I gave it gas they disengage and let the car roll back too much so they aren't good for going up ramps.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to any other 2018 CX-5 GT owners. I recently noticed some noise during high speed braking on the freeway. When I was washing the car I noticed heavy grooving on the left rear rotor. I immediately scheduled an appointment for inspection the next day and they reported that the caliper was defective and not properly releasing the emergency brake. They also noted that the right side had pretty badly burnt rotors. They replaced the caliper, rotors, and pads. They also oversprayed some sort of acid chemical and it's etched into the drivers side window now, where do they find these guys? haha. This vehicle only has 2500 miles on it! Kinda concerning to me, and hoping it's not signs of things to come. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure?
This report posted on 1/22/2019 but just can be seen a month later? ;)

There's a TSB R052/16C just for this problem. But it's supposed to be only applicable to 2016 CX-5. Either Mazda accidentally installed the old but out of tolerance rear calipers into your CX-5, or the fix of newer version rear calipers is not 100% working.

Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

Electrical parking brake does have its advantages. It's easier to apply and can feature Auto Hold for those who feel it's too hard to pull the mechanical parking brake and too tiresome to step on brake pedal waiting for traffic light. The greatest advantage to me is the space saved on center console. Don't bring up the foot-operated parking brake found on some US vehicles and Toyota Camry. It's the worst among parking brake designs.

Don't blame on EPB just because Mazda seems to be failed on reliability for such system. The same system on my brother's 2012 BMW 520d has never failed on him for all of these years!

I had a similar issue with my '14 Mazda3 after 1.5 yr when brake system warranty expired (1 yr coverage only).
I brought it to my Mazda dealer and argued my case.
Reason was simple. Only rear left brake pad was worn down to 30% within 1.5 yr while all other three were still at 80%.
The dealer called Mazda corporate, and it was fully covered at no cost to me.
I told them,
"Hey show me how you can wear out one pad faster than the opposite one. If you can, I will pay for it myself."

Back