What kind of real world mpg are owners getting?

:
2013 RAV4 Limited and 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
I would like to know what owners of the CS-5 Turbo are getting for MPG. Please be as specific as possible and give the type of driving, in town or freeway, etc. The engine with the turbo is rather thirsty but I'd like to know what owners are getting.

Honestly its pretty terrible. Im getting about 18 mpg right now with 2019 GTR. That is, however, almost no highway driving and I dont drive like a grandma either. But its not great. What makes it even worse is the small 15.3 gallon tank.

But you know, a 2.5 liter turbo producing 310 lb ft of torque driving 4 wheels was always going to be a compromise, I knew that. If gas goes up over $5 at some point its going to hurt though.

Honestly it*s pretty terrible. I*m getting about 18 mpg right now with 2019 GTR. That is, however, almost no highway driving and I don*t drive like a grandma either. But it*s not great. What makes it even worse is the small 15.3 gallon tank.

But you know, a 2.5 liter turbo producing 310 lb ft of torque driving 4 wheels was always going to be a compromise, I knew that. If gas goes up over $5 at some point it*s going to hurt though.

Doing that in my 2015, I was getting around 22.5mpg. So about a 4mpg hit. Doing that in my Jeep GC with a HEMI, I was getting around 14.5mpg. So the performance vs. utility is still very solid.

Honestly it's pretty terrible. I*m getting about 18 mpg right now with 2019 GTR. That is, however, almost no highway driving and I don*t drive like a grandma either. But it's not great. What makes it even worse is the small 15.3 gallon tank.

But you know, a 2.5 liter turbo producing 310 lb ft of torque driving 4 wheels was always going to be a compromise, I knew that. If gas goes up over $5 at some point it's going to hurt though.

Mostly city and "enthusiastic" driving similar to the above, but after I burned the dealership fuel I've had 2 fill-ups where I stopped the pump at the same time.
Calculated mileage was 19.0 and 19.2 mpg respectively. (I find that the digital readout is often "off" by more than .5 mpg.)

I'm currently sitting at 350 miles and anticipate 20+ mpg after the vehicle is completely broken-in.
That's about 3.5 mpg worse than my traded 2017 FWD GT.

Last edited:
Mostly city and *enthusiastic* driving similar to the above, but after I burned the dealership fuel I*ve had 2 fill-ups where I stopped the pump at the same time.
Calculated mileage was 19.0 and 19.2 mpg respectively. (I find that the digital readout is often *off* by more than .5 mpg.)

I*m currently sitting at 350 miles and anticipate 20+ mpg after the vehicle is completely broken-in.
That*s about 3.5 mpg worse than my traded 2017 FWD GT.

What octane have you been using for your refills?

1st tank of dealer fill (87) was about 18 mpg's, all local stop and go driving. We're only about 1/3 through the 2nd tank (93). I'm not sure how accurate the on board computer is, but it shows about the same 18 mpg's at this point. I'll do the math manually after the next fill-up.

Wow, I am getting almost 23 (22.4!) MPG in city driving - but in a CX-9. How hard are you guys driving?

Wow, I am getting almost 23 (22.4!) MPG in city driving - but in a CX-9. How hard are you guys driving?

Our city driving includes several minutes a day of idling at the train station. I'm sure that's not helping. :)

Honestly it*s pretty terrible. I*m getting about 18 mpg right now with 2019 GTR. That is, however, almost no highway driving and I don*t drive like a grandma either. But it*s not great. What makes it even worse is the small 15.3 gallon tank.

But you know, a 2.5 liter turbo producing 310 lb ft of torque driving 4 wheels was always going to be a compromise, I knew that. If gas goes up over $5 at some point it*s going to hurt though.

Wait after 2nd oil change. Engine really opens up. Seems new Skyactiv factory engines have th emost contrast post break-in period that other cars I recall. Could be the factory oil has high moly content.

Mostly city and "enthusiastic" driving similar to the above, but after I burned the dealership fuel I've had 2 fill-ups where I stopped the pump at the same time.
Calculated mileage was 19.0 and 19.2 mpg respectively. (I find that the digital readout is often "off" by more than .5 mpg.)

I'm currently sitting at 350 miles and anticipate 20+ mpg after the vehicle is completely broken-in.
That's about 3.5 mpg worse than my traded 2017 FWD GT.

What octane have you been using for your refills?

I'm running 87 ... the same that I ran for my entire '16 CX-9 ownership tenure.
Once broken-in I may try a couple of tanks of 93 just to see the mpg and feel the performance difference, but it costs 60 cents more per gallon at the Shell station I frequent.
IMO, that's not cost-effective for a minimal mpg difference or performance increase at the higher rpms rarely visited in normal driving.

1st tank of dealer fill (87) was about 18 mpg's, all local stop and go driving. We're only about 1/3 through the 2nd tank (93). I'm not sure how accurate the on board computer is, but it shows about the same 18 mpg's at this point. I'll do the math manually after the next fill-up.

Definitely do the math.
Whell filling my cars I make it a point to use the same pump whenever possible and stop filling at the same level for consistent calculations.
In my experience with multiple Mazdas over the years, the onboard computer usually indicates lower than actual mpgs; sometimes as much as 1 mpg.

The... same pump? What's a better word for anal retentive (google search) ...

Bit of a perfectionist, are ya? 8)

On my 2016.5 I was getting about 27 combined during the winter and 28 during the summer. With only 1 other passenger I managed on multiple long trips to achieve almost 33mpg on the highway.

I sure hope the 2019 signature is not under 20mpg for combined or I may have to part ways with it before I want to. I don't drive like a speed demon though. I only get in to it when I need to. Will report back in about 6 months on what I am seeing with the new vehicle.

Wait after 2nd oil change. Engine really opens up. Seems new Skyactiv factory engines have th emost contrast post break-in period that other cars I recall. Could be the factory oil has high moly content.

Interesting. The long-term, test CX9 only improved its 0-60 by 0.1 seconds after 40K miles vs. when new. People keep talking about "broken in cars are faster", but I rarely recall seeing such in real life, and often, they lose a tenth or two.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a21525002/2016-mazda-cx-9-long-term-test-wrap-up-review/

In reality, I think people just stop playing with it so much because the "new" has worn off.

This. MPG on my on-board computer and calculations was pretty bad when the car was new, but it eventually works itself out. I wouldn't bother worrying about calculating MPG for at least a couple oil changes in and several thousand miles. Should work itself out by then.

This. MPG on my on-board computer and calculations was pretty bad when the car was new, but it eventually works itself out. I wouldn't bother worrying about calculating MPG for at least a couple oil changes in and several thousand miles. Should work itself out by then.

Exactly. To new to get real world numbers plus it's winter and that can scew thr numbers in colder climate's due to more warm up time. Sample data on this page is just too small for the CX-5 turbo right now.

I get 37.2 on my manual 2.0..you should've gotten a 14 MT for better MPG. Anything below 22 I'd rather have a tacoma/sequoia overlander. I wouldn't buy a turbo car.

Back