Can I get a replacement keyfob like device for a 2010 without spending $100s?

LordJezo

One of the two has been lost for years and I have always wanted to get a second but the cost is just too much to justify. Wondering if now, almost ten years later from getting the SUV, if there is a way I can get a second key for a reasonable price.

We still have the key from the second keyfob, the physical bit that we use to open the door and start the engine in a pinch, it's the remote part that somehow was taken off and lost.

Just get a used one cheap on eBay. You will still need the dealer to program it. Not sure it can be done via vagxom

Check with a local locksmith. The guy here says he can supply and program one for about half what the dealership charges.

Any idea how much it would cost to get reprogrammed? I see a few on eBay, still around $150, so thats a bunch, but cheaper than getting a new one I suppose.

Is that the going rate for used smart keys?

If you have a button on your door handle, which means you have "advanced keyless entry" then a second fob will HAVE to be programmed by dealer. There is no way around it, no locksmith I've ever heard of has the mazda software capability to do anything with it. If you don't have the button on your front door handles, than you have the not as advanced keyless entry and yes, a locksmith can probly get a second one programmed for you.
If advanced, buy your fob on ebay, have dealer program, and then you can program additional ones yourself.

I have the button, so I have advanced.

What do you mean once I get one programmed by the dealer I can program others by myself?

Dealer programs #2, then you can have 1 and 2 together to program 3 on your own. But with only 1 keycard, dealer has to program #2.

Used keycard on ebay yes. And you will need a new uncut key with rfid that slides into the eBay used keycard. (2010 might use a newer advanced keyless fob instead of credit card style fob)

Used keycard on ebay yes. And you will need a new uncut key with rfid that slides into the eBay used keycard. (2010 might use a newer advanced keyless fob instead of credit card style fob)

What if I still have the original key? I lost the clicker bit but for some reason still have the key from inside it. Not sure why I ever would have separated the two but maybe the battery died or something years ago and I needed to start the car so I took it out, used it, forgot to put them back together, and that's how I lost the FOB.

Then put that physical key into your replacement fob. The 2 are separate entities and not mutually exclusive, other than the key physically sits inside the fob. I hope it works for you!

I just looked. I searched for Mazda keycard and Mazda smart card and they are going for 70 to 200 for the actual advanced keyless cards. The rfid key blanks that slide into the card are obviously much cheaper. Glad I have extras! And my factory hitch in the basement.. I've thought about selling it. Thought about selling my cx9 too cuz it never gets driven...

I just looked. I searched for Mazda keycard and Mazda smart card and they are going for 70 to 200 for the actual advanced keyless cards. The rfid key blanks that slide into the card are obviously much cheaper. Glad I have extras! And my factory hitch in the basement.. I've thought about selling it. Thought about selling my cx9 too cuz it never gets driven...

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

They range from $140 to $250 on ebay.

Do I need a keycard or a smart card? The CX-9 has the lift gate so I would need the big one, but for a spare that functionality is not 100% needed and could go with a cheaper model.

If you have a 2010, you have the newer fob style remote. 2007-2009 used a credit card style device for the advanced keyless system.

If you have a 2010 Grand Touring (GT) model, you have advanced keyless, but use a newer conventional keyless fob, which is the link you sent.
If you have a CX-9 without the keyless system, you use a switchblade style key.
If you have a button on your outside door handle, then you have advanced keyless.

The 2 systems are not interchangeable.
You can't use a basic switchblade with advanced keyless, and you can't use advanced keyless fob for a switchblade cheaper model.

But, you can use a fob for a mazda 3 or mazda 6. If it shows a trunk rather than a large gate, those 2 fobs are in fact interchangeable.
The only difference is the engraving on the trunk/hatch button.
As far as a fob without power gate vs power gate, I can't speak on interchangeability of those.

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

They range from $140 to $250 on ebay.

Do I need a keycard or a smart card? The CX-9 has the lift gate so I would need the big one, but for a spare that functionality is not 100% needed and could go with a cheaper model.

Well that's a lot of options..

Here is what I have, this is my other key:

C8T1OGL.jpg

2010, power liftgate, I think it's the touring model? It's been a while so I dont remember if its touring or grand touring. Also it has the little black button on the outside door handle.

Back