Used CX 5 - what do you get?

Get her a 2014. With a manual transmission if you can find one so she can put down her phone and concentrate on learning to drive...

Agree. I think every teenager should start out on a manual. It's a valuable skill to learn that you never forget; like riding a bike. No offense to anyone on the forum, but I feel bad for grown men who claim they can't drive stick.

I don't think I know of a single teenager that didn't have some type of a wreck early on. Fender bender to major. Get her a 2014. With a manual transmission if you can find one so she can put down her phone and concentrate on learning to drive...

THIS!

Although my first wreck was some Mexican thinking he was still in Mexico just pulling into a 4-lane and stopping. I was the first car to find him as he did it right in front of me. Maybe with more experience I could have avoided it, but I still felt vindicated that it was clearly his fault and he was clueless about driving in America.

Plus, you'll have a daughter that's cool. Chics that can drive sticks are just better.

Agree. I think every teenager should start out on a manual. It's a valuable skill to learn that you never forget; like riding a bike. No offense to anyone on the forum, but I feel bad for grown men who claim they can't drive stick.

That exact shortcoming led to one of my friends buying an automatic C5 corvette, lol! He finally learned and now has only had manuals.

I would bet that Uno does not have kids. If you do, you want every single safety feature you can get...

You're right, I don't, but I have people I care about, and I would never start them off in a vehicle that they even subconsciously would think "would see things for them".

You want solid body. Solid crumple zones. Solid airbag deployment. Solid crash ratings. Solid response to trauma, basically, but you don't want to start someone out IN THE LEAST thinking "This will think for you..."

Where I work, computers are the last step to preventing deadly errors with patients. When I got into the healthcare field, we didn't use computers. YOU looked at the med yourself. YOU decided if it was correct, and the right dose, and your patient's condition warranted the flow rate, dosage, whatever. We now have people who have never had to do that without help. They are good people, but they are lacking in some ways that can never be fixed because they "grew up" having "the computer think for them".

Just like his daughter would grow up "Having the car check her blind spots (If she's playing with the radio...)" or "stop for her (if she's busy texting in stop/go traffic...)". Because people rise to the lowest acceptable standard. When the vehicle makes that standard so incredibly low, it's damaging.

Thinking of buying my first Mazda and trying to get some info. It*s for my daughter and she*s about to be 16. I only know one person In Mississippi that has one.

1, For a small SUV does it stack up?
2. What year 17 or 18?
3. Grand Touring ?
4. What*s a good price?

Thanks in advance

1. How are you defining "stack up"? Is it a good and reliable car? Yes. Is it fun to drive? Yes. Does it handle well? Yes.

2. Really? For a 16 year old? No way. Buy a used Gen 1 (2014 - 2016.5).

3. Depends on what features you want and if you like leather seats or not. Maybe it's just my philosophy, but I'd not be looking at top trims for a 16 year old learning how to drive. In fact I'd be buying the cheapest safest car. CX-5 is a safe car, so next I'd be looking at the cheapest, but well taken care of and with reasonable mileage. On that front, I totally agree with other folks who have expressed that starting out with car nannies out the gate is probably not the best way to go as it breeds complacency and naivety when the situation arises where either the nannies stop working, or you're driving a different car that don't have them. I think it's important starting out and learning how to drive, I think the fewer distractions, the better, and thinking for yourself and doing what you are supposed to, instead of having the car think for you.

Everyone's different though. That's just me. I think a used Gen 1 Touring trim is perfect. You'll get the blind spot monitoring and backup camera.

4. Depends on what year and model.

Last edited:
I agree. I also have probably the most pristine one around, only 12k miles, and babied. Come get it, and I bet my price I let it go for is cheaper than people want for ones with 40k miles... :)

If you didn't have that god awful blue reflex color (my opinion only), I might have seriously considered that. :p

I mean, not really as I am happy with mine, but a 16.5 with only 12k miles is awesome.

If you didn't have that god awful blue reflex color (my opinion only), I might have seriously considered that. :p

I mean, not really as I am happy with mine, but a 16.5 with only 12k miles is awesome.

Sorry about the color, man, lol. It would*ve been dark blue if they allowed black interiors (well, sky blue if not discontinued). Mileage will even out some if I keep it as girl just got a job about 25 miles away one way, so she*ll get 250-300 Miles a week now, but it prob would have less than 10k if it weren*t for 3 road trips last year. Car is also garage kept and hand washed and maintained by me regularly...

I don't see anything wrong with getting your child into a car that has nannies up the wazoo. When it comes to safety, you want to have the tech that can react faster than the driver can, especially when the driver is inexperienced or easily distracted (most teens). Even if you're the most attentive driver, there are certain situations that you have no control over, where the safety tech really shines (i.e. Pedestrian Detection - a child running out into the street from behind a parked car).

With that said, I agree with Uno and Nelson that they should learn how to drive without relying on the safety tech. Typically, if an inexperienced driver gets used to the BSM going off instead of shoulder checking, the BSM becomes a safety net and the basic technique of shoulder-checking isn't reinforced. If they know the car will brake for them if it detects a potential collision, they'll be more likely to give in to distractions like cellphones or unruly passengers because of that safety net.

My suggestion would be to get your child a car with the nannies, but don't tell her about them. Don't teach her how the BSM works, don't teach her about the auto-braking or even the traction control. This way, she learns how to drive without relying on the tech, and you have the added peace of mind of knowing that the tech is there and working, just in case.

Also, for the record, I've never actually driven a manual car before. I understand the basic principles of it and I'm confident that I could pick it up fairly quickly, but I never found myself in any situation where I had to learn how to drive stick. I wouldn't say that learning how to drive stick is a "must", or that its beneficial to anyone when it comes to actually driving the car, though it is one of the more effective theft-deterrents these days. All that said, I think rowing your own gears is cool as ****, and cool points are really the only reason I'd have to learn how to drive stick at this point in my life, lol.

I'd get her a loaded Gen 1 and be done with it.

Last edited:
I don't have rear cross traffic alert but BSM and Smart City in my '15 GT. The smart city on my rig came with the tech package that also included AFS Bi-Xenon HIDSs

I don't see anything wrong with getting your child into a car that has nannies up the wazoo. When it comes to safety, you want to have the tech that can react faster than the driver can, especially when the driver is inexperienced or easily distracted (most teens). Even if you're the most attentive driver, there are certain situations that you have no control over, where the safety tech really shines (i.e. Pedestrian Detection - a child running out into the street from behind a parked car).

With that said, I agree with Uno and Nelson that they should learn how to drive without relying on the safety tech. Typically, if an inexperienced driver gets used to the BSM going off instead of shoulder checking, the BSM becomes a safety net and the basic technique of shoulder-checking isn't reinforced. If they know the car will brake for them if it detects a potential collision, they'll be more likely to give in to distractions like cellphones or unruly passengers because of that safety net.

My suggestion would be to get your child a car with the nannies, but don't tell her about them. Don't teach her how the BSM works, don't teach her about the auto-braking or even the traction control. This way, she learns how to drive without relying on the tech, and you have the added peace of mind of knowing that the tech is there and working, just in case.

Yeah, I mean really just depends on where you fall on that line. I can see both sides. You want your kids to be safe, but at the same time as they are learning to drive, you don't want them relying on tech and reinforcing bad driving habits.

Yeah, I mean really just depends on where you fall on that line. I can see both sides. You want your kids to be safe, but at the same time as they are learning to drive, you don't want them relying on tech and reinforcing bad driving habits.

For sure. I mean, at the age of 16 I'm sure she'd be smart enough to use Google to find out whether or not her car has the safety tech, but hopefully for the first little while she drives with the assumption that it doesn't, thus reinforcing good driving habits.

Where we all universally agree though....don't buy a '17 or '18 for a 16 year old lol! Get a Gen 1.

Check insurance cost before you buy a newer vehicle.

Many years ago I was thinking of buying my son a new Mazda3 hatch until I called my insurance agent for the shocking news.
I ended up buying him a very reliable and "cool" Honda CRX hatch for $5K, to which we added tach, suspension, CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust.

Many years ago I was thinking of buying my son a new Mazda3 hatch until I called my insurance agent for the shocking news.
I ended up buying him a very reliable and "cool" Honda CRX hatch for $5K, to which we added tach, suspension, CAI, and Magnaflow exhaust.
Yeah good call on the insurance.

For sure. I mean, at the age of 16 I'm sure she'd be smart enough to use Google to find out whether or not her car has the safety tech, but hopefully for the first little while she drives with the assumption that it doesn't, thus reinforcing good driving habits.

Once again, it depends on the person. If they are interested or curious about these things, then they*ll do the research. I*ve seen a post in the Kia Niro forums where the person is trying to figure out why his car seems to randomly jerk the wheel. He bought the car but didn*t know that it had Lane Keep Assist. If I had not told my daughter about all the nanny tech, I doubt if she would have looked it up. She took the driver*s ed course in high school which was basically driving in a loop and practicing parking. They never went out on the roads. We also took her out in our CX-5 so she only had the backup camera and BSM. Perhaps she relies on the backup camera too much (don*t we all?) but she definitely checks her mirrors when changing lanes. And I*ve never taught her how to use the regular cruise control, let alone the *smart* cc. I hardly use cc since I don*t do a lot of highway driving and have never tried the smart version.

Sorry about the color, man, lol. It would*ve been dark blue if they allowed black interiors (well, sky blue if not discontinued). Mileage will even out some if I keep it as girl just got a job about 25 miles away one way, so she*ll get 250-300 Miles a week now, but it prob would have less than 10k if it weren*t for 3 road trips last year. Car is also garage kept and hand washed and maintained by me regularly...

The Sky Blue was awesome. I don't know why they discontinued it. I almost regret not going for it. Almost.

Truth...I still have my sons on my insurance. The one with a m3hatch, bis insurance is higher than his twin brothers who has a civic sedan.

Very true...

And man, a CRX was my first car. I miss that little thing. Was a cool little car...

The Sky Blue was awesome. I don't know why they discontinued it. I almost regret not going for it. Almost.

It sure was...Don*t regret the Blue Reflex Mica, really like it actually, and others who*ve chosen to compliment the car have as well...If I break down and got a Sig or GTR sometime, leaning Machine Gray atm, though...

It sure was...Don*t regret the Blue Reflex Mica, really like it actually, and others who*ve chosen to compliment the car have as well...If I break down and got a Sig or GTR sometime, leaning Machine Gray atm, though...

I mean no real diss...just not my kinda blue. :p

Back