Used CX 5 - what do you get?

GAPRocker

:
CX 5
Thinking of buying my first Mazda and trying to get some info. Its for my daughter and shes about to be 16. I only know one person In Mississippi that has one.

1, For a small SUV does it stack up?
2. What year 17 or 18?
3. Grand Touring ?
4. Whats a good price?

Thanks in advance

Brand new driver I'd say foolish to spend 17 or 18 money but beside that in 100% honesty and not even $ related if my 14gt s*** the bed tomorrow I'm seeking out a low mileage cherry 16-16.5 gt stat. Oh she stacks up, i mean its not a veloster N(yeah i said it..fun car found) but its a beut, has the best wheels and she's got a great pops or moms;)

Last edited:
As for why idk I'm a gen1 fan..the seats, the wheels, the swoop, the drive..just that tweak sharper for me, you won't go wrong with any cx5 really but 16gt is my pick..you're welcome in advance;)

Last edited:
Thinking of buying my first Mazda and trying to get some info. It*s for my daughter and she*s about to be 16. I only know one person In Mississippi that has one.

2. What year 17 or 18?
3. Grand Touring ?
4. What*s a good price?

Thanks in advance

Look for a model with blind spot monitoring, smart city brake support and rear cross traffic alerts. I believe all the 2017 and 2018 models have them. Those are features that are useful for new drivers.

Look for a model with blind spot monitoring, smart city brake support and rear cross traffic alerts. I believe all the 2017 and 2018 models have them. Those are features that are useful for new drivers.

Good points dougal. My '16 GT w/Tech has all of those too.

Thinking of buying my first Mazda and trying to get some info. It*s for my daughter and she*s about to be 16. I only know one person In Mississippi that has one.

2. What year 17 or 18?
3. Grand Touring ?
4. What*s a good price?

Thanks in advance

For a kid? Id get the cheapest cx5 you can find. They are all safe. They all stack up very very well and its a helluva first vehicle. My first car was a beat to hell POS we built in the driveway from wrecking yard parts.

Honestly? Teach them to drive. All those nannies out of the gate can build complacency. The only feature that is helpful is the backup camera as it can expose pets, kids, other stuff below the sight line. The rest is just useless to a good driver. I have BSM and forget sometimes. Because it doesnt see some stuff, and i learned old school, and its paid off often.

Thinking of buying my first Mazda and trying to get some info. Its for my daughter and shes about to be 16. I only know one person In Mississippi that has one.

2. What year 17 or 18?
3. Grand Touring ?
4. Whats a good price?

Thanks in advance

1. Yes, for a compact SUV its one of the best. However, its calling cards are style and good driving feel. If those dont matter to your daughter, you can probably find cheaper options.

2. As far as I know, the main diff between 17 and 18 is the cylinder deactivation engine, which helps slightly with MPG.

3. GT is the most popular, but its a personal choice on whether it is worth the money to you.

4. Check the CARFAX website, they have a nice price check tool where you can input the VIN.

Honestly? Teach them to drive. All those nannies out of the gate can build complacency. The only feature that is helpful is the backup camera as it can expose pets, kids, other stuff below the sight line. The rest is just useless to a good driver. I have BSM and forget sometimes. Because it doesnt see some stuff, and i learned old school, and its paid off often.

Agreed.

It depends on your child*s personality. My daughter who just started driving is an attentive driver because she*s terrified of getting into an accident. We bought a 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid with all the *nanny* tech and it gives her peace of mind that she has back up. The blind spot warning has helped with her confidence in passing/changing lanes but she always uses her mirrors first. She has never caused the automatic emergency braking to activate where as I have. Lol. I realized at the last minute that I had to get into the left turn lane and changed lanes quickly to get into it. I was in control the whole time, but there was a car in front of me in the turn lane and the AEB went off.

And as others have said, any year CX-5 is a good choice for your daughter. I have a 13 GT and it has the BSM and back up camera. Whether or not you want all the other amenities, thats up to you and your wallet. Im not sure what the lower versions came with, but it was a big surprise when it came to to replacing the 19 tires. I knew they were going to be more than the 15s on my old Accord, but talk about sticker shock.

Last edited:
As for why idk I'm a gen1 fan..the seats, the wheels, the swoop, the drive..just that tweak sharper for me, you won't go wrong with any cx5 really but 16gt is my pick..you're welcome in advance;)

I agree. I also have probably the most pristine one around, only 12k miles, and babied. Come get it, and I bet my price I let it go for is cheaper than people want for ones with 40k miles... :)

I don't think I know of a single teenager that didn't have some type of a wreck early on. Fender bender to major. Get her a 2014. With a manual transmission if you can find one so she can put down her phone and concentrate on learning to drive...

It depends on your child*s personality. My daughter who just started driving is an attentive driver because she*s terrified of getting into an accident. We bought a 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid with all the *nanny* tech and it gives her peace of mind that she has back up. The blind spot warning has helped with her confidence in passing/changing lanes but she always uses her mirrors first. She has never caused the automatic emergency braking to activate where as I have. Lol. I realized at the last minute that I had to get into the left turn lane and changed lanes quickly to get into it. I was in control the whole time, but there was a car in front of me in the turn lane and the AEB went off.

I would bet that Uno does not have kids. If you do, you want every single safety feature you can get...

I don't think I know of a single teenager that didn't have some type of a wreck early on. Fender bender to major. Get her a 2014. With a manual transmission if you can find one so she can put down her phone and concentrate on learning to drive...

I didn't, but I'd still get her the cheapest one I could find. They're still really nice...

I would bet that Uno does not have kids. If you do, you want every single safety feature you can get...

He doesn't, but I do, and I agree with him. My BSM is more junk than it is anything, but I'm glad I have it because I know most want it...

For a kid? Id get the cheapest cx5 you can find. They are all safe. They all stack up very very well and its a helluva first vehicle. My first car was a beat to hell POS we built in the driveway from wrecking yard parts.

Word to the Mother...

Back