Ignition/Keyless Remote Question (FOB)

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all,

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I was just wondering how long the key fob battery typically lasts for? Will the car notify you when the battery becomes low (or how can you tell.)?

Also, if it were to die, where is the ignition slot for the key? It looks like there is a plastic piece over where it should be, but it doesn't look like it pops off easily. Do you have to pry it up?

Just wondering how many miles/years you have on your KEY FOB, and whether or not you've had to change your battery yet?

Thanks all!

Hey all,

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I was just wondering how long the key fob battery typically lasts for? Will the car notify you when the battery becomes low (or how can you tell.)?

Also, if it were to die, where is the ignition slot for the key? It looks like there is a plastic piece over where it should be, but it doesn't look like it pops off easily. Do you have to pry it up?

Just wondering how many miles/years you have on your KEY FOB, and whether or not you've had to change your battery yet?

Thanks all!

Can*t answer your battery life questions but the other info is in your manual. Our salesperson went through it all but I didn*t listen knowing I was going to read it all in the manual in my own time.

Can*t answer your battery life questions but the other info is in your manual. Our salesperson went through it all but I didn*t listen knowing I was going to read it all in the manual in my own time.

We just moved, and I have NO clue which box my owners manual could be in. Thought maybe someone knew the quick answer to this. I will search for the manual this week.

Thanks.

I thought if the fob died you just hold it up to the start button. No keyed ignition to my knowledge. Physical key is to get in vehicle.

I have the same car. Just a few months shy of two years old. Both fobs are in working order with no battery problems encountered thus far. If the battery in your fob gets weak, the car will let you know. You will not use the metal key to start it so do not pry on anything! You will simply hold your fob to the start button and press the start button. For God's sake, please read your manual on this before you need it!

I have the same car. Just a few months shy of two years old. Both fobs are in working order with no battery problems encountered thus far. If the battery in your fob gets weak, the car will let you know. You will not use the metal key to start it so do not pry on anything! You will simply hold your fob to the start button and press the start button. For God's sake, please read your manual on this before you need it!

Like I said, I'll have to search for it this week. I never really thought about it until our Subaru's fob died. Then, I figured I should probably know what to do if mine ever dies. Sorry, guys.

You will see a red key warning light if fob battery is low (among other conditions). You can still start car by pressing and holding start button. There is no blade key hidden in fob. Iirc salesman said there*s some fob power stored but get battery replaced ASAP.

Pretty cool interactive online owner*s manual. Much easier to navigate than book.
http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8gj1ee18b/visual.html

Under the following conditions, the KEY warning light (red) flashes after the push button start is pressed. This informs the driver that the push button start will not switch to ACC, even if it is pressed from off (for vehicles with a type A instrument cluster (Search), messages are displayed in the instrument cluster).
The key battery is dead.
The key is out of operational range.
The key is placed in areas where it is difficult for the system to detect the signal (Search).
A key from another manufacturer similar to the key is in the operational range.
(Forced engine starting method)
If the KEY warning light (red) illuminates, or the push button start indicator light (amber) flashes, this could indicate that the engine may not start using the usual starting method (for vehicles with a type A instrument cluster (Search), messages are displayed in the instrument cluster). Have your vehicle inspected at an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer as soon as possible. If this occurs, the engine can be force-started. Press and hold the push button start until the engine starts. Other procedures necessary for starting the engine, such as having the key in the cabin, and depressing the clutch pedal (manual transaxle) or the brake pedal (automatic transaxle) are required.
When the engine is force-started, the KEY warning light (red) (if equipped) remains illuminated and the push button start indicator light (amber) remains flashing.
(Automatic transaxle)
When the selector lever is in the neutral (N) position, the KEY indicator light (green) (if equipped) and the push button start indicator light (green) do not illuminate.

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8gj1ee18b/contents/05010200.html

Back