just bought a 2018 cx-5 what do I need to search for? I want what the cool kids have!

ek2precision

:
Mazda, CX-5 Grand Touring
so its that red color. I traded in my f150 ecoboost for it. I love it. Just ordered the cargo cover/mat and then the cargo area cover, and all weather mats.

so happy I have it.

Hmmm that*s an interesting trade!

In the last year... I had a Ram 1500 w the hemi. Beautiful truck. Traded that for an 18 CRV. Missed having a truck so I traded the CRV for a new F150 screw with the 2.7 ecoboost. Love the danged thing and it*s as close to a sporty fun-to-drive car as a truck can be. Then traded my wife*s Accord for the CX-5 Signature. So got the to a good combo of vehicles but kind roundabout way lol.

so its that red color. I traded in my f150 ecoboost for it. I love it. Just ordered the cargo cover/mat and then the cargo area cover, and all weather mats.

so happy I have it.

I recently updated my older CX-5 to a new 2018 GT. I LOVE it as well. I also got the cargo floor mat and the allweather mats front and back.

An additional purchase I negotiated into the deal was the Mazda trailer hitch and wiring, not particularly for towing, but I inserted a Bully Bar step hitch, for aiding in cleaning the rear of the roof and more importantly to keep other idiots from damaging the rear of my vehicle if they should bump in to me in a parking lot.

Maybe most important for me was to get PPF(paint protection film) installed on the front, leading edge of the hood, mirrors, A-pillars and leading edge of the roof(up to the sun roof). If you get the PPF I would strongly suggest that you have the front half(at a minimum) of your CX-5 clayed to remove all those contaminants built up on your CX-5 during transport from the factory, then get the PPF installed, then finally rub on and buff on a good paint sealant. Now, I added the OEM brushed nickel rear bumper protector strip but many do PPF instead.

If you need winter tires in the Pacific NW be sure to only get 17" rims for them as 17" tires are a LOT cheaper than 19" tires! My dealer sold me a new set of 17" alloy rims to fit the old CX-7 which they were delighted to get rid of at cost. BTW, new rims will need TPMS sensors installed. If you have your winter roads salted as much as we do here in the Canadian NE be sure to get the plastic and rubber stemmed TPMS sensors, as the more common metal ones will start rusting within a year or two. These plastic ones are what my dealer pointed out as all they use now.

The last thing that I am currently installing are the brighter and whiter replacement LED festoon bulbs for the map, dome and cargo lights. #DE3175 at most auto parts stores.

Last edited:
I recently updated my older CX-5 to a new 2018 GT. I LOVE it as well. I also got the cargo floor mat and the allweather mats front and back.

An additional purchase I negotiated into the deal was the Mazda trailer hitch and wiring, not particularly for towing, but I inserted a Bully Bar step hitch, for aiding in cleaning the rear of the roof and more importantly to keep other idiots from damaging the rear of my vehicle if they should bump in to me in a parking lot.

Maybe most important for me was to get PPF(paint protection film) installed on the front, leading edge of the hood, mirrors, A-pillars and leading edge of the roof(up to the sun roof). If you get the PPF I would strongly suggest that you have the front half(at a minimum) of your CX-5 clayed to remove all those contaminants built up on your CX-5 during transport from the factory, then get the PPF installed, then finally rub on and buff on a good paint sealant. Now, I added the OEM brushed nickel rear bumper protector strip but many do PPF instead.

If you need winter tires in the Pacific NW be sure to only get 17" rims for them as 17" tires are a LOT cheaper than 19" tires! My dealer sold me a new set of 17" alloy rims to fit the old CX-7 which they were delighted to get rid of at cost. BTW, new rims will need TPMS sensors installed. If you have your winter roads salted as much as we do here in the Canadian NE be sure to get the plastic and rubber stemmed TPMS sensors, as the more common metal ones will start rusting within a year or two. These plastic ones are what my dealer pointed out as all they use now.

The last thing that I am currently installing are the brighter and whiter replacement LED festoon bulbs for the map, dome and cargo lights. #DE3175 at most auto parts stores.

I think I will get a trailer hitch and a bully bar step.

Something to protect all the black piano glass in the interior. It scratches fairly easy. I wrapped them with carbon fiber vinyl along with the ugly (imo) faux wood paneling on the dash and doors.

can you believe the top of the line signature edition doesn't come with this...and has to be bought as an accessory..what a way to cut costs =P

Welcome aboard.

My 2018 GT came with a great retractable cargo cover. Not sure what "cargo area cover" you're referring to.

Welcome aboard.

My 2018 GT came with a great retractable cargo cover. Not sure what "cargo area cover" you're referring to.

They all come with them, if you can get the dealer to throw one in with the sale. Otherwise, it's a $250 option. This is no different than most other manufactures.

i believe this was included on previous models as standard.
they only started changing it or deleting it as standard for Gen2...so there's that.

They all come with them, if you can get the dealer to throw one in with the sale. Otherwise, it's a $250 option. This is no different than most other manufactures.

i believe this was included on previous models as standard.
they only started changing it or deleting it as standard for Gen2...so there's that.

My previous 2014 CX-5 GT definitely didn't come standard with one.

Spend your money on a clear bra tbh. The red paint especially is prone to chipping and its nearly impossible to fix it aftermarket.

My old car came with a retractable cargo cover. For me it just got in the way. I took it out the first month and put it back 16 years later when I sold the car.

My 2018 GT came standard with a retractable cargo cover. It is very well designed, unobtrusive, and even has a vision screen panel so when lift-gate is up you can chat with passengers while loading stuff.

Regardless, I would expect the Signature model to come with one. If you don't have the cover I recommended getting one.

Last edited:
My 2018 GT came standard with a retractable cargo cover. It is very well designed, unobtrusive, and even has a vision screen panel so when lift-gate is up you can chat with passengers while loading stuff.

Regardless, I would expect the Signature model to come with one. If you don't have the cover I recommended getting one.

If your '18 came with it, either it was on the sticker, or the dealer threw it in as part of the deal. Otherwise, it did not "come with it". :)

If your '18 came with it, either it was on the sticker, or the dealer threw it in as part of the deal. Otherwise, it did not "come with it". :)

htbomb is correct that the retractable cover is very nice and well-designed.
Sig cx-5 is also correct. The cover is not standard equipment at any trim level.
My Signature came in without any port-installed options ... thus missing retractable cargo cover that I wanted.
Fortunately, I'd previously told the dealership that I was transferring the cover from my traded '17 to the '19.
Got what I wanted at no additional cost.

even has a vision screen panel so when lift-gate is up you can chat with passengers while loading stuff.

That's not a 'vision screen panel'. You certainly don't need to see someone in the back seat to speak with them. LOL
The screen panel is for aerodynamics. If it didn't have that and you were driving with the windows down that thing would make a lot of noise.

I had a cargo cover many years ago on a station wagon and used it occasionally. When I got my first CX-5 in 2014 I decided that the darkened rear windows offered enough visible security to not warrant the cargo cover purchase.

Back