Thread: Replacing touch screen due to defect

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX9 Signature in machine gray

Replacing touch screen due to defect

My 2017 CX-9 Signature has some spider web marks in the upper right corner, so the dealership will replace it under warranty. The part has been ordered and I understand it'll take about an hour to complete. Anyone else had this issue? All work out well?

Registered Member

2016 CX-9 Touring w/ Premium Package

I've got a little bit in the top left corner, but don't plan on doing anything about it until closer to the warranty expiration because it hasn't affected the ability to touch the buttons up there. Also, I use the AIO tweaks to get AA, so I'm a little hesitant to bring it in, just in case the replacement equipment somehow disables it (unless the dealer also upgrades me to the new firmware).

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by trickdout6 View Post
    I've got a little bit in the top left corner, but don't plan on doing anything about it until closer to the warranty expiration because it hasn't affected the ability to touch the buttons up there. Also, I use the AIO tweaks to get AA, so I'm a little hesitant to bring it in, just in case the replacement equipment somehow disables it (unless the dealer also upgrades me to the new firmware).
    Thanks for the reply. I don't have any tweaks and am concerned the spider marks might eventually expand. Will post here on my replacement experience.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

There's a service bulletin out covering this

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mifanning View Post
    Will post here on my replacement experience.
    I had my screen replaced yesterday. Took about an hour and none of my settings were changed. Good experience!

Registered Member

2007 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2016 CX-9 Touring

My 2016 has developed spiderweb cracks in the corners of the screen - just after 36k miles . Emailed mazda customer service and they indicated that I was on my own... anyone know how much this is likely to cost?

Registered Member

2016 CX9 GT AWD

If there is a service bulletin out about this, please post it.
    While the infotainment screen crazing or cracking is a known issue on some OLDER models, I can't find a service bulletin and my dealer is unaware of a service bulletin for newer models specifically newer CX9s.

Thankfully my infotainment screen is being replaced as a "courtesy" while in for warranty work for a bigger mechanical issue.
    it started crazing in the upper left corner this past winter, during the brutal cold snap we had where temps were well below freezing several nights in a row.

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 GT AWD

Just had my screen replaced the other week under warranty due to spider web cracking in the corner that happened over the winter. I have a 2017 GT with about 23k miles, so still within warranty. The service advisor did say that it's a known issue and there is a TSB for it, so I will take a look at the paperwork and see if the TSB # is listed.

The actual replacement time only took about 10 minutes once the technician got into the car. I waited for it and was in/out in no more than a total of 30 minutes. And IIRC, the listed part price was around $1,900 maybe? I'll double check the paperwork for that too.

Registered Member

2007 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2016 CX-9 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by greggmischenko View Post
    Just had my screen replaced the other week under warranty due to spider web cracking in the corner that happened over the winter. I have a 2017 GT with about 23k miles, so still within warranty. The service advisor did say that it's a known issue and there is a TSB for it, so I will take a look at the paperwork and see if the TSB # is listed.

The actual replacement time only took about 10 minutes once the technician got into the car. I waited for it and was in/out in no more than a total of 30 minutes. And IIRC, the listed part price was around $1,900 maybe? I'll double check the paperwork for that too.
    $1900 for the part alone !!!

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by greggmischenko View Post

Unfortunately the TSB # is not listed in my paperwork, just the part # for the replacement screen: TK49-61-1J0B. Note for job says, "TECH VERIFIED CONCERN AS SPIDER CRACKING. REPLACEMENT COVERED UNDER TSB. PART ORDERED."

Quote Originally Posted by philw66 View Post
    $1900 for the part alone !!!
    Yeah, kinda crazy. I see prices online for around $1,200 but this still seems a bit ridiculous for just a touch screen.