2019 Cooled seats

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Are the seats on 2019 Signature, A/C cooled or just vented?

How good at keeping them cold?

Are the seats on 2019 Signature, A/C cooled or just vented?

How good at keeping them cold?
Based on the info I have, cooled seats on 2019 CX-5 is really the vented seats without AC air. They suck the air down instead of blowing the AC cooled air out/up found on some other AC cooled seats.

Just ventilated but they whole thing works almost better than cooled. Cooled seats make you feel "wet". The Mazda system just seems to cool you down without the wet feeling.

i've heard really good things about the mazda ventilated seats, instead of blowing air, it sucks the hot air away from your body

If you let the air out of a truck tire fast it will actually form frost on it. When they suck the air through those little pin holes in the seat cover it does the same (well, not the frost but it cools rapidly) because it has to speed up to get through the narrow hole.

It hasn't been warm enough yet for a proper test, but my brief trial indicates that they should be effective.
The true test will come once summer arrives.

I wasn't buying the sucking seat ventilation feature, so I went out to my garage and looked at it. Sure enough, it actually sucks! My Lexus blows. :) My only concern is will it be sucking in debris when in use?

Now, I can't wait until it gets warm to try them out!

I tried it in the Mazda 6 during the heat of the summer and it worked well. The system has an added benefit as well...

Sure enough, it actually sucks! My Lexus blows. :)
;)

Hope you can compare them next summer and let us know which way is more effective. Mazda way definitely is cheaper to make as it doesnt need any plumbing for AC air.

I tested them in a new Mazda 6 that was sitting at the dealership, sun soaked in August. Almost felt like I didn't need to turn the AC on. I'm sold.

;)

Hope you can compare them next summer and let us know which way is more effective. Mazda way definitely is cheaper to make as it doesn*t need any plumbing for AC air.

Lexus isn't cooled either. It just blows up air from the floor.

They seem to work well in terms of the ventilation, you can really feel it working instantly. The fans are, however, quite loud, especially when you have both seats going at high levels. When this summer comes around, I can already tell this will be one of my favorite CX-5 features.

If you let the air out of a truck tire fast it will actually form frost on it. When they suck the air through those little pin holes in the seat cover it does the same (well, not the frost but it cools rapidly) because it has to speed up to get through the narrow hole.

I think that you have your physics backwards. The truck tire cooling is correct but when an amount of air is sucked through a small hole the air is compressed as it passes through the hole. Compressing the air heats it, it does not cool it.

Remember the idea gas law. PV=nRT.

On the other hand. The air is cooled as it expands again on the other side of the hole. So maybe the net gain/loss is null?

Last edited:
When I test-drove a Ford Edge, the sales lady warned me that the ventilated seats would feel as if Id peed myself, and she was right. I figured I'd have no use for the feature, but the ventilation is done right in the CX-5 and feels better. It's more effective on the back if you occasionally shift or lean forward a bit to let the air flow.

I actually have never seen a cooling seat that blows AC air vs using seat-mounted fans to sucking it out. This seems like it would pretty inefficient and hard to do - you'd have to use all kinds of flex duct and extra blowers and servo operated doors. I think this is why the manufacturers call it "ventilated" vs "air conditioned". Sounds like some use a peltier cooling plate that the fans pull air across.

Last edited:
I actually have never seen a cooling seat that blows AC air vs using seat-mounted fans to sucking it out.

I rented a Lincoln a few years that had actual "Cooling" seats (blowing). I hear that they are having issues with mold. All Toyota/Toyota blows air through the seats. That's why the sucking seats in the Mazda are strange to me.

Back