Ignition coil went after spark plug change

mpluk1985

:
2013, Black CX-5 Grand Touring AWD 6 spd Automatic
I had my spark plugs changed at the Hartford, CT Mazda dealership 3 weeks ago. There were no symptoms, but they kept suggesting it at oil change appts. My CX5 has 140k miles on it, so I thought what the heck, Ill have them change the plugs. And they did. Fast forward 3 weeks and Im driving to work and all of a sudden my car starts misfiring and I lose power and am barely able to nurse the car to the dealership. They call later and say I had an ignition coil fail. They could replace just the one for $295 or all 4 for $700.

I had them do all 4, but I feel really suspicious, like this is too much of a coincidence. Could they have screwed something up when they changed the plugs? Or did I wait to long to do the spark plugs and the coil had to work harder and failed because of that? Just seems odd that my coil failed right after they changed the plugs.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Thoughts? And could someone recommend a good Mazda repair shop in the Hartford County area? Thank you!

NO the coil- in- plugs are a simple and almost antiquated design. There is nothing you can do to really "sabotage" these type of coils.
I can't tell you how many customers every year claim we did something to their vehicle when they brought it in for service or repair and something else failed shortly after the original problem was fixed them suggesting it was suspicious that other things happened after they brought it to us> LOL

I am sure they offered the old failed part... if you are really concerned or question the integrity of the shop take it to a shop that has an oscilloscope and PAY them to run it up and look at the wave pattern. That will tell you exactly why the coil failed! The test runs about 50 -100 bucks! Or PM I will give you my address and ass a fellow member and MAZDA enthusiast you can send it to me I will do it for you for FREE!!!!!

BTW ask them for the individual and group part replacement of all coils LABOR hour rate and you will see that it is in line for the Standard LABOR HOUR and their hourly labor charge.
I already looked on AllData and they are in line with what I estimate for your area hour rate for dealership and independent service shops rate would be.

Last edited:
I had my spark plugs changed at the Hartford, CT Mazda dealership 3 weeks ago. There were no symptoms, but they kept suggesting it at oil change appts. My CX5 has 140k miles on it, so I thought what the heck, I*ll have them change the plugs. And they did. Fast forward 3 weeks and I*m driving to work and all of a sudden my car starts misfiring and I lose power and am barely able to nurse the car to the dealership. They call later and say I had an ignition coil fail. They could replace just the one for $295 or all 4 for $700.

I had them do all 4, but I feel really suspicious, like this is too much of a coincidence. Could they have screwed something up when they changed the plugs? Or did I wait to long to do the spark plugs and the coil had to work harder and failed because of that? Just seems odd that my coil failed right after they changed the plugs.

Do I have a leg to stand on? Thoughts? And could someone recommend a good Mazda repair shop in the Hartford County area? Thank you!

HOLY BALLS!!!!! They made $300+ on 10 minutes of labor.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Seems high. I had 6 replaced in my Maxima at the dealer for apprx. $700. That's 2 more than the CX-5.

Isn't changing the ignition coils easier than changing the oil? They need to come out in order to change the spark plugs.

How can they justify charging more in labor than they do for a 5000 mile service?

Isn't changing the ignition coils easier than changing the oil? They need to come out in order to change the spark plugs.

How can they justify charging more in labor than they do for a 5000 mile service?

Yep. Because people will pay it, apparently, and "ignition coils" sounds heady and technical, so they dont pop the hood and lift the cover and look.

If it ran for 3 weeks just fine I'd say it's more likely coincidence than sabotoge. If they did something to damage it you would've likely noticed it very quickly. Unfortunate / bad luck.

They are easy to change, but we're talking dealer labor rates and OEM parts here. There's likely a minimum shop charge coming into play (I would hope that's the case).

If it ran for 3 weeks just fine I'd say it's more likely coincidence than sabotoge. If they did something to damage it you would've likely noticed it very quickly. Unfortunate / bad luck.

They are easy to change, but we're talking dealer labor rates and OEM parts here. There's likely a minimum shop charge coming into play (I would hope that's the case).

Just do it yourself. $100 per oem coil from Amazon. 20 minutes of your time tops.

Just do it yourself. $100 per oem coil from Amazon. 20 minutes of your time tops.

Agree. I don't even know if I'd go OEM if mine went out. I bought 8 for my tundra for $80 for all 8. Took me about 30 minutes with a 10mm socket wrench and an extension. Has ran fine for years now. The cheap ones looked and even tested exactly as the OEM ones...

Just looked for the hell of it, I see the knock offs for roughly $27 a piece for my CX-5, so for $100 and 15-20 min of my time, boom, done...

$300 just for labor, lmao, and they wonder why they call them shady stealerships...

I would change only the broken one. Why would I touch something, that works?

At the price I paid for mine, it was just as easy to do them all as to check for the bad one and wait on another to go mysteriously as bad. Now from a dealer standpoint, you have a valid point, they*re robbing people by not replacing just the one. After all, they are stealerships, remember...

Back