Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 Turbo - Oil Fuel Dilution Issues?

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

2.5 Turbo - Oil Fuel Dilution Issues?

Any reported fuel oil dilution issues on the 2.5 turbo?

With the Honda CRV turbo oil fuel dilution causing so many problems. I was wondering if Mazda had any issues with their turbos?

Registered Member

CX-9

I frequent some other forums, one specially about oil, and there has not been much info posted about the 2.5T while the 1.5L Honda comes up quite a bit. Not sure if this is because the 2.5T doesn’t have this problem or because they simply sell 10X as many CRVs and we’re more likely to come across CRV people complaining?

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by PWMDMD View Post
    I frequent some other forums, one specially about oil, and there has not been much info posted about the 2.5T while the 1.5L Honda comes up quite a bit. Not sure if this is because the 2.5T doesn*t have this problem or because they simply sell 10X as many CRVs and we*re more likely to come across CRV people complaining?
    It's probably a little bit of both. But the 2.5T is in all 2016+ CX-9s, all 2018+ Mazda6 GT Reserve and Signature trims, and all 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve and Signature trims. I would think that if there were any issues, something would have come up by now.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

When I've changed the oil in my 2.5T after 7500 miles the oil has looked and smelled normal. I'm thinking of sending a sample to Blackstone just to see what they say about all the conditions of the oil at that mileage.

Registered Member

CX5 2019 sig

ok so it seems to be an issue

so im new to this forum and this is my first post,
    im the kind who will research the hell out of the thing before he buys something.
    anyway , i was considering CX-5 2.5 T and came across your post in the CX5 forum and kept that issue in mind.
    and behold , two weeks later , an owner of a 2018 CX-9 GT complaining about the same exact issue in the middle east.
    the owner is claiming that he noticed the engine is sluggish and was noisy at around 17k Km, when he did the 20k Km service , they were able to drain 8 bottles worth of oil instead of 4 and a half ! .
    he complained and just changed the oil, 3000 km again, he drains 6 bottles worth of oil , and the owner is claiming that it reeked of gas smell.

i just wanted to report this to you guys here and see your feed back , as it was mentioned before , it doesnt seem to be a well known issue anyway.
    im assuming he had what you guys call it "the lemon"
    i'd urge every 2.5T owner to "sniff" the oil after every oil change .
    Last edited by Epicool; 02-18-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: -

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Epicool View Post

im the kind who will research the hell out of the thing before he buys something.
    anyway , i was considering CX-5 2.5 T and came across your post in the CX5 forum and kept that issue in mind.
    and behold , two weeks later , an owner of a 2018 CX-9 GT complaining about the same exact issue in the middle east.
    the owner is claiming that he noticed the engine is sluggish and was noisy at around 17k Km, when he did the 20k Km service , they were able to drain 8 bottles worth of oil instead of 4 and a half ! .
    he complained and just changed the oil, 3000 km again, he drains 6 bottles worth of oil , and the owner is claiming that it reeked of gas smell.

i just wanted to report this to you guys here and see your feed back , as it was mentioned before , it doesnt seem to be a well known issue anyway.

err, link?
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

CX5 2019 sig

wouldn't be helpful , its all in Arabic

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

wouldn't be helpful , its all in Arabic
    Honestly, I doubt the accuracy of the report.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

One single (and questionable) report of an issue after 3 years? That's nothing like what is happening with the CR-V.

How much oil is in a "bottle"? Did he send the oil to be tested for oil dilution or did he just "sniff" it?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    One single (and questionable) report of an issue after 3 years? That's nothing like what is happening with the CR-V.

How much oil is in a "bottle"? Did he send the oil to be tested for oil dilution or did he just "sniff" it?
    And the oil dilution tends to occur in colder climates. Last time I checked, the Middle East was not that cold...

Registered Member

CX-9

No idea about the validity of this claim but keep in mind there are other reasons for fuel dilution besides poor design like a faulty injector.

Registered Member

CX-9 AWD GT Titanium/Sand

It'd be very ironic if cx-9 had oil dilution issues. I really hope they don't. It's a different engine design than honda's, so I didnt't think this would even be possible.
    Just so happens the day after tomorrow we are returning our '17 CRV Touring under lemon law for exactly that issue, and picking up cx-9 GT few days later.
    I'll keep the number to my attorney just in case

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by PWMDMD View Post
    No idea about the validity of this claim but keep in mind there are other reasons for fuel dilution besides poor design like a faulty injector.
    Yeah, both those are generally one off things. This person is trying to insinuate that it is a wide spread issue- which it appears to be with the CR-V.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

send report for uoa and it will show for the 2.5T. Everything else is speculative.

I did my 2.5 2018 (although its non turbo) ~3k miles, used oil analysis and after results came back there was almost not fuel detected in the used oil. That works for me.

Registered Member

CX5 2019 sig

Getting back to this after i forgot that i posted .
    I tried to get into contact with that guy multiple time but got no answer . Later he deletes his post . So now im questioning his claim too.
    Also as i mentioned earlier . Even if the claim was true . The issue is no where near what the CRV looks like .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast