2017~2024 The truth about Mazdas according to Scotty

Yea, the quality must have been for s*** back in 2013-15. That's why my Sept. 2012 build date FWD Touring has never darkened the door of a repair facility since new. BTW, I've seen this nitwit Scotty pontificate on the web before. Believe what you want and spend the next ? years worrying about when the trans will drop out of your Mazda.

I do not believe it now but I have to say when I first watched the video, it raised questions since I am not familiar with the brand. Depending on how they make sense to me, I value peoples opinions and experiences here and also on other forums about different topics more than a video on YouTube.

I checked and the guy has built a lot of subscribers by giving advice as a mechanic and is supposedly iknowledgeable on different matters but it is also notable he is not up to date with some brands and what they have to offer lately. IMO he gives good advice in general but a lot of that comes from the past too and in the car industry things are changing faster than ever

Naw. He's too hard on the ears. Nothing entertaining about his misleading information.

I agree. I just watched his video about how to extend brake like. There is a lot of untrue info, for example he says braking hard before driving through a puddle will warp the rotors. That is just not true. And the story about the guy complaining about his brakes wearing out fast, and it turned out he pressed the brake at the same time he pressed the gas. I just don't believe that story because everyone was taught to use one foot to press either the gas pedal or the brake pedal.
For a knowledgeable and entertaining car mechanic watch South Main Auto https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA/videos or Eric the car guy.

I watch Scotty Kilmer's videos and while I respect his knowledge of automotive mechanics, the advice he dispenses seems to hold little relevance with regard to the new car market. He seems to make a lot of unfounded presumptions based on his experiences or his customers' experiences with cars that are several generations removed from the new car marketplace, chief among them that new cars are always a ripoff and used cars are always a bargain. We aren't all misers when it comes to buying cars. Some of us place great value on driving a brand new current-generation car that has the latest design, features, and appointments, and even more importantly meets the highest safety standards and we get the piece of mind that any breakages and mechanical failures that occur are covered by the manufacturer warranty. Plenty of people, car-people and non-car people alike see the value in buying new car.

Of course new cars are expensive, but used car price are inflated as well, in fact used cars are more profitable for dealers than new cars. Why do you think they love leasing so much? They get to lend the car for a handsome profit for three years, then when the lease is up they get to sell it for an even bigger profit than a brand new car. Cha-ching!

The only Mazdas that I've owned were designed during Ford era (2004 MPV and 2009 Mazda5), neither had transmission problems.

However, I have to admit that Mazda parts sometimes were expensive, in fact, what really shocked me was that some parts were pricier than similar parts for my previous cars, and that included Volvos that are not known for using cheap components. I always thought that this was caused by relative lack of aftermarket part supply, which makes total sense given how small potential market is (as compared to that targeted at different automotive brands).

I have owned 5 Mazdas. My first I bought in 1989. I have not experienced any of the issues he is talking about. Says he has to pay $500 or a part that only costs $100 for a TOYOTA or HONDA. But then fails to give any specific, because he knows we can check it out and find out its false.

I want to know what part costs $500 on a Mazda and only $100 on a toyota. And what kickbacks is he getting from Toyota.

I have owned 5 Mazdas. My first I bought in 1989. I have not experienced any of the issues he is talking about. Says he has to pay $500 or a part that only costs $100 for a TOYOTA or HONDA. But then fails to give any specific, because he knows we can check it out and find out its false.

I want to know what part costs $500 on a Mazda and only $100 on a toyota. And what kickbacks is he getting from Toyota.

I actually think this guy gives good general car tips (watched tons of his vids) BUT I lost him in the Mazda replacement parts aspect. Where the heck is this guy getting parts from? He also mentioned getting parts from the junkyard? Too bad he didn't use our sponsor Med Mazda!

Is he talking about an alternator, belts, spark plugs, rotors, ect. They're roughly the same price as any other class make/model in my experience.

I watched that video a while ago. Scotty isn't a bad mechanic, but a lot of his advice needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He gives out a lot of very generalized answers to things. He may have a little experience with something here or there but his word shouldn't be taken as gospel.

How many people have windows that don't go up or down? He talks about it being a common issue but I can't think of anyone ever mentioning it.

the lasts Consumer Reports has move Mazda up to #3 for reliability, with Lexus #1 and Toyota #2. That says it all in my opinion.

Scotty Kilmer is just another video host where its all about him and not the subject at hand. These are a dime a dozen and not worth my time watching.

Check out Autogefhl on YouTube. That is a well done video presentation.

Scotty Kilmer is just another video host where it*s all about him and not the subject at hand. These are a dime a dozen and not worth my time watching.

I agree, that is my goto review channel. No superfluous bull. The review is what matters with answers to questions that real world drivers may have.

Scotty Kilmer is just another video host where its all about him and not the subject at hand. These are a dime a dozen and not worth my time watching.

I checked Autogefhl and its definitely more objective.
At the end of the day, it is not Scottys complete fault just for making videos trying to give advice even if he is not an expert in every matter he talks about. Most people watch a video, believe what they want, and dont make an effort to do some research so thats on them.

Scotty Kilmer? LOL Ever see the Seinfeld episode with the guy ripping parts out of the car? Yeah, that could be him.

Scotty Kilmer? LOL Ever see the Seinfeld episode with the guy ripping parts out of the car? Yeah, that could be him.
That is a perfect analogy.

I'm sorry but Scotty was downright dishonest in his assessment of Skyactiv. He lost any credibility on that for me.

Never heard of him, or seen him before. Watched a couple of minutes, and that was enough of that.

+1

Some people just have a hate on against a brand for no justifiable reason.
You can't argue with these people, as common sense and contrary facts do not register with them.
Remember our Mazda hater, CR-V loving friend, Mango? Perfect example.

Last edited:
Back