New Mazda3 owner - rust questions

Doon

:
Mazda3
I just purchased a 2017 Mazda3 Touring with 40,000 miles, through an online retailer. I am still in my 7-day return grace period. The CARFAX report says it was in a rental program for just over a year, in the Boston area.

I had my mechanic (a Mazda-only shop that I have been using for 20 years) check out the car. He says it is mechanically and electronically in excellent condition. But there is "substantial" rust that is showing on the exhaust, brakes, suspension and under the hood, presumably due to road salt over only one winter. He was particularly worried about the future cost of the electric parking brake, should it seize from corrosion in the future (no indication that it was compromised, just a what-if). He suggested that the value of the vehicle is substantially reduced, and should be reflected in the price. Where his assessment went off the rails for me, is he said the value should be 1/3 of what it would otherwise be (not reduced by 1/3... so $5500??). He also said that it is more rust than he has seen on many 20-year old cars here in the South (Georgia).

I crawled around under there last night. Yes the exhaust pipe is pretty rusted the entire length of the car. But the brake/suspension components and engine/transmission corrosion would never have jumped out at me as being significant. Some rust around the mounting bolts. The brake rotors do look pretty rough, but that gets replaced eventually anyway. But I am no expert, and am used to looking at the parts of much older cars.

Is this a known problem - either with Mazdas, this model, or with cars that have wintered in the NE in general? Is this something that can be remedied or inhibited? Or an issue that will definitely plague me in the future?
I have a few days to make up my mind, but doubt I will be able to find a comparably equipped car in the short term.

IMG_7042.JPG
IMG_7045.JPG
IMG-7056.JPG

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2017 Mazda3 Touring with 40,000 miles, through an online retailer. I am still in my 7-day return grace period. The CARFAX report says it was in a rental program for just over a year, in the Boston area.

I had my mechanic (a Mazda-only shop that I have been using for 20 years) check out the car. He says it is mechanically and electronically in excellent condition. But there is "substantial" rust that is showing on the exhaust, brakes, suspension and under the hood, presumably due to road salt over only one winter. He was particularly worried about the future cost of the electric parking brake, should it seize from corrosion in the future (no indication that it was compromised, just a what-if). He suggested that the value of the vehicle is substantially reduced, and should be reflected in the price. Where his assessment went off the rails for me, is he said the value should be 1/3 of what it would otherwise be (not reduced by 1/3... so $5500??). He also said that it is more rust than he has seen on many 20-year old cars here in the South (Georgia).

I crawled around under there last night. Yes the exhaust pipe is pretty rusted the entire length of the car. But the brake/suspension components and engine/transmission corrosion would never have jumped out at me as being significant. Some rust around the mounting bolts. The brake rotors do look pretty rough, but that gets replaced eventually anyway. But I am no expert, and am used to looking at the parts of much older cars.

Is this a known problem - either with Mazdas, this model, or with cars that have wintered in the NE in general? Is this something that can be remedied or inhibited? Or an issue that will definitely plague me in the future?
I have a few days to make up my mind, but doubt I will be able to find a comparably equipped car in the short term.

I think any current car that is driven hard and put away wet in a magnesium chloride usage area is going to show disappointing rust after a winter or two. I have seen all kinds of examples, and it does make a difference as far as long term reliability, repair costs, and value to next buyer.

There are many other choices out there, and sounds like your mechanic does not like to work on rusty cars either. I would heed his experience and advice and continue looking if it was me...(nervous)

Last edited:
Yes, does look a lot of rust for a 2017. But saying the value is 1/3 is also crazy. Sounds like you paid $16500. OK price I guess. But note i got my wife a new 2018 GT hatch for $22,000 last fall. With that mileage looks like you are out of warranty. I would get out.

It is actually hard to tell in the pictures but the undercarriage looks fairly clean. I don't see anything that is not really serious but then with only 3 pictures to go by it not easy to make a good assignment. It does need a good high pressure washing and cleaning but what used car that is not garage kept in your area doesn't?
The paint used is not the most durable on MAZDA's I looked a few even in my area here close to Sacramento CA, and even on the MAZDA rentals I have used and the paint does not hold up well for daily driven MAZDA predominantly not garaged.

Back