Hand crank windows

:
83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i
Anyone ever swap from electric to the old hand crank style? Was thinking I could really shed some weight this way.

I doubt the weight change would be significant enough for you to notice in any way. You can do much better by swapping out your wheels for lighter weight versions, although road noise may increase a bit.

I plan on taking everything out this summer. Trying to get rid of at least 100lbs here and there. So is it possible?

Are you planning to take out the back seat? You may be able to save 20 lbs with just the wheels change. A lighter exhaust system may save 10 lbs. 2-piece brake rotors represent another possible reduction, as would a lightweight battery. How about lightweight front seats?

Already got all that in a shopping list! Any more suggestions?

Anyone ever swap from electric to the old hand crank style? Was thinking I could really shed some weight this way.

I am curious why you need to "shed some weight"? Have you done a weighing set of your MAZDA so if you do decide to reduce the weight you know first what your are starting with.
Are you drag racing and want to shed 100LBS to go aprox.1/10th quicker in the 1/4 mile? Are you Road Racing and you may be violating of not complying with a class yu are running your MAZDA in? If it is to improve handling, there are much better ways then starting to pull parts off your MAZDA.

The only way to convert to a manual window if if the MODEL MAZDA was ever offered anywhere in the world like that? And if you did I would guess removing all the electrical motors would save you a whooping 12lbs ?? For 12 pounds join a GYM and lose the 12lbs of body fat, get personally more fit and reduce the gross operating weight of your MAZDA. ;)

Honestly losing 100lbs on a street driven MAZDA you will never see unless it is in the unsprung weight and you would need a device that could measure the results like a Autometer D-Pic. Other wise the inaccurate "BUTT" Dyno effect is what you will feel the most.

I see some suggestion from other members but it is really better to shift the weight then to remove it to improve the handling. While removing all those parts may eventually add up it will not be as much as some think. I will suggest NOT to go with the light weight battery on a street car with all the electronic are on your MAZDA. You may do a grocery run and come out and find yourself calling AAA for a jump.

Im seriously not worried about any of that. This car is down to the point where I already keep up with my buddies msp and I just need that tiny bit more. Since its obvious Im not making MAD POWER! Id really just like to free up some weight allowing everything to turn that tiny tiny bit faster.

This is by far no means a comfortable drive nor do I plan on making it comfortable.

The only way to convert to a manual window if if the MODEL MAZDA was ever offered anywhere in the world like that? And if you did I would guess removing all the electrical motors would save you a whooping 12lbs ?? For 12 pounds join a GYM and lose the 12lbs of body fat, get personally more fit and reduce the gross operating weight of your MAZDA. ;)

My guy I already weigh 135 and am almost 6 tall! The gym is not needed.

Judging on some of the weights people have posted around the internet I can shed around 136lbs. Now thats actually something compared to 12.

Pretty loose saying about loosing 100lbs is like gaining 10hp. Not that I think Im gaining anything but just having a lighter car will allow me to put less stress on the engine ultimately allowing it to rotate faster.

If you're on OEM wheels, swap over to smaller, lighter wheels (forged wheels would be your best bet but they're expensive). Maybe some more affordable lightweight wheels like RPF1s or something. You can also get a set of titanium lug nuts if you want to go crazy. Reducing the unsprung weight should help a lot more than saving 10-15 lbs with a titanium exhaust system. My next suggestion would be better tires. Dump the power steering system as well, if you haven't already.

Ok so before summer arrives I plan on having my ps and a/c deleted. Add a lightweight crank. Plan on getting just some aluminum wheels since I bought my p5 with some stupid steelies! Pull the rest of the rear seats out and add my buddies old msp transmission with the lsd.

Got a bunch of minor mods on the way like the the Nology Hotwires kit that I dont think will make more power but at least give me that unsprung power.

Back