Unknown brand of oil at dealer

:
mazda cx5 gt
Hi all,
I went for oil change on my 2017 CX-5 GT at Naples FL Mazda dealer. When I asked for the brand of 0W20 synthetic oil they used I was told "it's bulk oil from Flamingo distribution Co." The service manager could not or would not tell me the brand or manufacturer of the oil, stating only that it is approved by Mazda. I asked the mechanic working on my car if he knew the brand of oil, same answer as manager. I can not believe that a Mazda dealer would not know the brand or manufacturer of the oil they use. Has anyone else had this experience at any Mazda Dealership?

Well, I think if anything goes wrong with the engine, (oil related), they will be responsible for it.
Maybe a quick note to Mazda to ask if they know the brand that particular dealership use may help.

Will have the answer in a few minutes.

Checking with a simple call to Flamingo talking to Tetto Galvez confirming that Naples Mazda gets FULL SYNTHETIC 0W20. The type/brand or the distributing refinery supplier is a bit of a challenge with their Commercial account manager but he said they deliver nothing but MAZDA approved motor oils.

Flaming Oil delver's to many of their accounts in large quantities and the motor oil meets the OEM MAZDA requirements. I should have the complete refined motor oil DATA sheet in the next day or so. The motor oil that is used by as many 50 or more auto service and dealerships in the Florida State distributed by Fleming Oil all meet the motor oil requirements of the auto manufacture. The service shops must make sure that they use the recommend motor oil requirements for the engines.
http://flamingooil.info/
I was also suggested that as for Naples MAZDA in Florida and the question about the motor oil used that the person that has all the information is the SERVICE MANAGER.
https://www.naplesmazda.com/service/

Last edited:
I'm guessing this dealership, like all dealerships, is privately owned.
They probably know where the oil comes from, and the brand. They just refuse to tell you because they know you won't like the answer.
The purchasing agent for that dealership is probably under direction from the owner to source the oil as cheaply as possible, and if it means buying it in bulk, then so be it.
Cheaper oil means more profit, pure and simple. Mazda itself probably has no control over what the dealers buy, as long as it meets their requirements (right).
You are being told that it meets Mazda's minimum standards, but you are only being told that by the supplier and dealer.
Who makes it and where it actually comes from is being withheld from you, for probably a good reason.
As for being told that it meets Mazda's criteria, and whether it's actually true, is another matter.
I may come across as being skeptical, but I've been burned more than once by cheating dealers and garages.
For example, I don't do my own oil changes anymore, but I always insist on being present when I get it done.
If a garage/dealer won't let me in the back to watch them do it, I take my vehicle elsewhere.
Anyway, to solve your problem and give you peace of mind, I suggest buy your own oil and filter, and then take it to a local garage to have it done (if you don't do it yourself.)

I'm guessing this dealership, like all dealerships, is privately owned.
They probably know where the oil comes from, and the brand. ****They just refuse to tell you because they know you won't like the answer.
The purchasing agent for that dealership is probably under direction from the owner to source the oil as cheaply as possible, and if it means buying it in bulk, then so be it.
Cheaper oil means more profit, pure and simple. Mazda itself probably has no control over what the dealers buy, as long as it meets their requirements (right).
You are being told that it meets Mazda's minimum standards, but you are only being told that by the supplier and dealer.
Who makes it and where it actually comes from is being withheld from you, for probably a good reason.
As for being told that it meets Mazda's criteria, and whether it's actually true, is another matter.
I may come across as being skeptical, but I've been burned more than once by cheating dealers and garages.
For example, I don't do my own oil changes anymore, but I always insist on being present when I get it done.
If a garage/dealer won't let me in the back to watch them do it, I take my vehicle elsewhere.
Anyway, to solve your problem and give you peace of mind, I suggest buy your own oil and filter, and then take it to a local garage to have it done (if you don't do it yourself.)
**** No this is incorrect, the OP already stated he was told it came from Flamingo Oil and the service manager knows exatly where the oil came from and what the oil is. The service manager would gladly answer any questions to him. My guess from my understanding is that the SERVICE MANAGER was not the one the OP asked about the oil information?

The rest of you responses is also highly inaccurate and some portion just plain WRONG!
In fact I would say that you are really so far off maybe you should go back to post #1 and re-read everything again?
FYI the service Technicians most likely are not told all the details of the oil only that is is what they are required to use for oil and filter service . That dealerships does dozens of oil and filter changes on a weekly basis. As I recommended in my first response one phone call and I got a few return calls with more information then I really needed or wanted and all this could have been obtained from the OP who started this thread in the first place?

I believe I did a pretty good job at helping the member know exactly what was changed in his MAZDA at that specific Dealership?

Last edited:
**** No this is incorrect, the OP already stated he was told it came from Flamingo Oil and the service manager knows exatly where the oil came from and what the oil is. The service manager would gladly answer any questions to him. My guess from my understanding is that the SERVICE MANAGER was not the one the OP asked about the oil information?

The rest of you responses is also highly inaccurate and some portion just plain WRONG!
In fact I would say that you are really so far off maybe you should go back to post #1 and re-read everything again?
FYI the service Technicians most likely are not told all the details of the oil only that is is what they are required to use for oil and filter service . That dealerships does dozens of oil and filter changes on a weekly basis. As I recommended in my first response one phone call and I got a few return calls with more information then I really needed or wanted and all this could have been obtained from the OP who started this thread in the first place?

I believe I did a pretty good job at helping the member know exactly what was changed in his MAZDA at that specific Dealership?

You did a great job helping, but maybe you should reread the OP as well before instructing someone else to do so. It clearly states the first person he asked about the oil is the SERVICE MGR, then the tech, who reiterated what the SVC MGR said. All in all, it*s a cheap bulk synthetic oil that gets the job done and turns the most profit. He isn*t incorrect about that, that is for sure. Carry on...

(peep)(peep) Glad to have you here as a helpful and active member of the forum, but you have to be less aggresive towards other members in these posts. Thanks.

It's exactly why I always do it myself. PP is great stuff!

Hi all,
I went for oil change on my 2017 CX-5 GT at Naples FL Mazda dealer. When I asked for the brand of 0W20 synthetic oil they used I was told "it's bulk oil from Flamingo distribution Co." The service manager could not or would not tell me the brand or manufacturer of the oil, stating only that it is approved by Mazda. I asked the mechanic working on my car if he knew the brand of oil, same answer as manager. I can not believe that a Mazda dealer would not know the brand or manufacturer of the oil they use. Has anyone else had this experience at any Mazda Dealership?
Dealers use the cheapest bulk oil they can find and car manufactures normally have no power to assure their dealers to use recommended oil. I wouldn't be thrilled if the Flamingo 0W-20 synthetic oil is used in my CX-5 because you never know the long-term effect from it.

Be aware therere reports by CX-9 owners that Mazda dealers use 5W-30 conventional oil as its widely available, or 0W-20 synthetic bulk oil for their vehicle. 2019 turbo CX-5 owners be aware!

My Mazda dealer uses "Preferred Choice"(eek2) or bulk Castrol 0W-20 synthetic oil for standard oil change on 2.5L. Its only $10 more to use Mazda moly oil.

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-01_20151215.jpg

You did a great job helping, but maybe you should reread the OP as well before instructing someone else to do so. It clearly states the first person he asked about the oil is the SERVICE MGR, then the tech, who reiterated what the SVC MGR said. All in all, it*s a cheap bulk synthetic oil that gets the job done and turns the most profit. He isn*t incorrect about that, that is for sure. Carry on...
I personally know that he did not. :)
I would post the name of the SERCIVE MANAGER vs service writer which is most likely who he talked to but will let him post the information. ;)
See I do check my facts about things I am not sure are accurate before I post something on forums.

(peep)(peep) Glad to have you here as a helpful and active member of the forum, but you have to be less aggressive towards other members in these posts. Thanks.
Really I think you should look at some of your responses and as a moderator? ;)
Really I was very entertained by your "explosion" last week on another thread. Hey I chalked it up to "IT IS YOUR PERSONALITY" I am sure had it been me instead of you responding in that fashion I may have gotten a "TIME OUT" from a moderator?
And your response is what is called an opinion. My responses are my personality get it!
Don't worry I have been talking with Mr Tony(playfully said ha!) ... the owner of this forum :)

Dealers use the cheapest bulk oil they can find

Do you just do this kind of posting for fun...CHECK YOUR FACTS.....
Also you really need to learn about motor oil a little more..geeeez! the info you post on this forum I keep reading wow! Fun stuff! hehehehehe!

Last edited:
If I was to pay a MAZDA dealership to service my vehicle, I would normally expect them to use CASTROL oil, which Mazda pushes or MAZDA Hi moly oil at a up-cost price. I would not want an oil that is not considered a top tier oil. I go to a dealer and pay a premium to get profession service and fluids for anything from oil changes to engine major service. I don't expect the floor sweeper to do the oil change and check my tire pressure nor do I expect less that a top tier oil like CASTROL, PENNZOIL, or MOBIL 1Ed

Hi all,
You should PM me. I have lots of valuable information I found out yesterday more then what I posted that is directly related to your concern.
Posting any more of it on your thread is only going to IMHO cause distraction and off topic responses from a few that did not go make any effort to find out accurate information to help you and further.

If I was to pay a MAZDA dealership to service my vehicle, I would normally expect them to use CASTROL oil, which Mazda pushes or MAZDA Hi moly oil at a up-cost price. I would not want an oil that is not considered a top tier oil. I go to a dealer and pay a premium to get profession service and fluids for anything from oil changes to engine major service. I don't expect the floor sweeper to do the oil change and check my tire pressure nor do I expect less that a top tier oil like CASTROL, PENNZOIL, or MOBIL 1Ed

FYI....Cape Coral, Florida, looking at my list, Fleming Oil supplies the dealership in your area maybe the one you go to with the service department motor oil used for service oil and filter changes.
O'Brien Mazda of Fort Myers

Different dealers seem to use different oils. When I first bought my CX-5, dealer used Mazda Moly Oil 0w20 for my first several (and free btw) oil change services. At some point they switched to using bulk Castrol Edge 0w20 oil. After that, dealer got bought out (and I lost my free oil changes benefit), I tried another dealer (with a coupon from Mazda to make it free), and they were just using some generic 0w20 oil.

After that coupon was used, I learned how to change my own. Since the vehicle had primarily used Castrol for much of it's life, I have continued to use 0w20 Castrol Edge to good Blackstone oil analysis results. 5 qt. jug from Walmart which has varied from $19 - $25 depending on deals at the time.

I dont know about mazda dealers, but others like ford or chrysler or VW ones list on the payment receipt a code or part.no for the oil along with the quantity (if its brand name, even for bulk) and you can reference it. Thats if the really put what it says on the receipt. Same for part no. for oil filter.
Isnt it the same with Mazda dealers?

Different dealers seem to use different oils. When I first bought my CX-5, dealer used Mazda Moly Oil 0w20 for my first several (and free btw) oil change services. At some point they switched to using bulk Castrol Edge 0w20 oil. After that, dealer got bought out (and I lost my free oil changes benefit), I tried another dealer (with a coupon from Mazda to make it free), and they were just using some generic 0w20 oil.

After that coupon was used, I learned how to change my own. Since the vehicle had primarily used Castrol for much of it's life, I have continued to use 0w20 Castrol Edge to good Blackstone oil analysis results. 5 qt. jug from Walmart which has varied from $19 - $25 depending on deals at the time.

Castrol is the default go-to for Mazda dealers is what I've heard on this forum, and that is what my Mazda dealer's default is, as well.

Back