Tinting front window

nitrous_nit

:
Mazda CX9 GT
With the 2019 cx9 GT, it seems like the second/third row have tinted windows from the factory.

If this is the case, what should the front windows be tinted to match the rear ones?

Im in Illinois, if that helps with legality of tint.

Thanks

With the 2019 cx9 GT, it seems like the second/third row have tinted windows from the factory.

If this is the case, what should the front windows be tinted to match the rear ones?

Im in Illinois, if that helps with legality of tint.

Thanks

I live in the Southeast US, so I tint ALL of my windows, including the front windshield (with a clear Llumar AirBlue tint). It keeps the interior cool in the Summer and protects from UV rays all year round. Since you live in the MidWest, tinting may not be as crucial but I would argue that a legal shade tint would protect the occupants and the interior from UV rays. For a few hundred bucks, it is a worthwhile addition to me.

Yes, thank, but would you know what % tint are the rear glasses, so i can match them with the front?

Just take it to a tint shop and they should be able to tell you what % tint is on the rear glass as well as what your state allows for the front tint.

Just take it to a tint shop and they should be able to tell you what % tint is on the rear glass as well as what your state allows for the front tint.

I agree, just go to a tint shop and ask them. They can measure what it is in the back and suggest what to do in the front if you are sticking with your states legal codes. I had my '18 CX-9 GT done in August and I believe the back windows were somewhere around 38% which in MA is illegal but since it is from the auto maker like that is is apparently fine(really stupid IMO) so I went with 25% in the front two windows with a 6" brow also on the front windshield. It makes the car just dark enough w/o someone wants to pull out and measure my tint all around. Plus I have the tan leather.

the front windows are going to be about 20% tints (lower the number, darker the tint)
it's too bad we cannot tint our front windows anymore in NYC. There is now a light test window requirement for our yearly inspections.
I have 50% tints which are barely noticeable, and have it for UV protection, but sadly this isn't passable with today's inspections =(

goodluck!...

btw...the front windows even if they are the same tints as the rears will look lighter due to the front windshield allowing more light.

it's too bad we cannot tint our front windows anymore in NYC. There is now a light test window requirement for our yearly inspections.
I have 50% tints which are barely noticeable, and have it for UV protection, but sadly this isn't passable with today's inspections =(

Don't be sad. The public obviously can't handle this tint thing on their own. NYC gov officials know what's best for you regarding window tints.

Still, it doesn't explain the dark window tint these same "officials" use when traveling in limos. /;-)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the clear Llumar AirBlue tint or its equivalent, applied to the front windshield, has any effect on the visibility of the active driving display (HUD)? I've been trying to see if any CX-9 owners have any experience with this.

Does anyone know if the clear Llumar AirBlue tint or its equivalent, applied to the front windshield, has any effect on the visibility of the active driving display (HUD)? I've been trying to see if any CX-9 owners have any experience with this.

It does not.

I bought my 2018 GT AWD in Arizona where the dealers tint everything and add the up-charge whether you want it or not. So lame. They did my front two windows very close to all the rear glass and it looks great in addition to sun protection so I was fine with it. 33% is the darkest legal here in AZ for the front side's but there everyone has it and most are darker with no issues at DMV. Montana where I live is legal to 24% on the drivers window so no issues there. No vehicle inspections there at all. These are dumb laws ( like hundreds of others) in that the manufacture's rear tint's on SUV's is sometimes darker than the overly restrictive rules of the state. What are you supposed to do.. pull it off when you buy a new car?

I got the lightest shade of Lumar for heat rejection. It works well for that.

However, I found the HUD had less contrast after Lumar was applied. Also, it adds a slight graininess or pixelation to many stronger light sources at night or glare during the day.

Oncoming headlights, tailights, street lamps, or glare off of any chrome or window is slightly distorted. I had the Lumar reapplied to make sure the distortion wasn't due to improper installation.

I'm a person who is obsessed with a clean windshield. Any windshield debris is distracting and it's got to go. So, I had the Lumar pulled and added a dark visor strip instead.

Back