New rims and tires questions

weloveiggy

:
Mazda 2
My daughter bought a 2012 Mazda 2 recently. I wanted to help her slightly upgrade the wheels.
I have a set of 16x6.5 "twisted spoke" rims from an 01-03 Miata I'd like use.
A few questions...
A) Can I switch over the tpms sensors from the original steelies to these rims?
B) Will I need to get new lug nuts? If so, which ones do I get?
C) I'm planning on running 205/45r16 tires, does anyone see a potential issue with that setup?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob.
I appreciate any input. Thank you!

Welcome! You'll find the fb group is quite a bit more active than the forums.

The wheels should fit fine, I'm actually fairly certain there is someone running that same wheel already.

A) Shouldn't be a problem, don't remember if it's stem mounted or strapped to the wheel, but it should be a straight forward swap for a tire shop.
B) As long as they are tapered seat, they should work fine. Might want to grab a set of "nice" lug nuts for added bling.
C) Tire size is fine, I run a slightly taller tire on a 16" rim with slightly more aggressive sizing (16x7 +35) with no rubbing.

Sorry to say but they will not work. The Mazda 2 uses 5 lugs whereas the 01-03 Miata uses 4 lugs. That said, any OEM Mazda 5 lug wheel should fit as they all use the same 5x114.3 bolt pattern and have higher offsets. If you stick with an OEM wheel from another model, then the stock lugs will work just fine. Should you got with an aftermarket wheel, then use aftermarket lugs, i.e.: Gorilla, McGard, etc.

Back