2017 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ PP vs 2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Premium Pkg
I'm sure everyone's wondering "Why would you be comparing those two, they're completely different vehicles targeted at completely different audiences"?

Well, my CX-5 is at the body shop (rear-ended just hard enough to mess up the bumper cover and loosen one of the reflectors). The insurance company is providing a rental. Enterprise must have run out of cheaper cars, because they gave me the Cadillac. Thus the comparison :).

I like the Caddy's seat better. The leather is less slippery, and it has better lumbar support. I don't slide around in the seat while going through round-abouts like I do in my CX-5.
If you put something in the back seat, the Caddy reminds you to look back there when you stop the car. Not sure if it is sensing weight on the seat, or just the fact that you opened the back door before the front door.
I really miss the CX-5's HUD, Commander Knob, volume nob, and HVAC controls. The Caddy doesn't have either knob, and all the radio/HVAC controls are touch-sensitive hard plastic surfaces, or you can use the touch screen infotainment center. The touch-sensitive surfaces didn't work with my gloves on (it's winter here now). I'm sure you could get a version of the XTS with a HUD for more $$$.
The Caddy's seat heats up quicker, and it is ventilated (2019 CX-5s have that now, but my 2017 doesn't). It's steering wheel heats up all the way around, which is nice when turning corners.
The Caddy is a lot longer - I haven't looked up the specs, but it seems like it must be at least a foot longer. I have a single-car garage, and I had rearrange my mower and snow thrower at the front of the garage to fit the car in and close the garage door.
I also miss my CX-5's adaptive cruise - I'm sure that's an option (or standard on trims higher than Luxury) on the XTS.
The XTS has a 3.6 L V-6. I didn't do any timed runs or look up test results, but it doesn't really feel any quicker, and it isn't smooth under hard acceleration.

EDIT: I like my SRCM color better than the XTS' black. But I'm guessing the XTS won't need to be repainted because the factory paint starts flaking off.

Overall, the XTS is definitely not a $15000 - $20000 better vehicle in my opinion.

Last edited:
It is amazing how stuff on "cheaper" cars is sometimes not standard on more expensive cars. $20K is a lot.

It is amazing how stuff on "cheaper" cars is sometimes not standard on more expensive cars. $20K is a lot.

I always guessed that happens because it is easier to gouge those with deeper pockets. People buying cheaper cars tend to have a strict budget when car shopping.

Also, luxury cars like to lure new customers to the dealership by advertising a low starting price for a stripped down version of the car.

What boggles my mind are the prices for Caddy and Lincoln SUVs. Outside of plusher seats, Im not sure where that money goes. Reviews seem to universally pan the driving experience of their SUVs. For the same price you can get an equally luxurious cabin from Audi and BMW, but with a great engine, suspension, and dynamics.

Last edited:
Also, luxury cars like to lure new customers to the dealership by advertising a low *starting price* for a stripped down version of the car.

There is not ONE car company that doesn't do this. This has nothing to do with luxury cars.
Like:
Deal.jpg

That's not a GT they are advertising.

Volvo is the worst. I want the adaptive lights that turn with the steering wheel. That requires TWO option packages to be added... not just one. Big reason I'll never buy a new Volvo again.

Last edited:
There is not ONE car company that doesn't do this. This has nothing to do with luxury cars.
Like:
View attachment 220182

Volvo is the worst. I want the adaptive lights that turn with the steering wheel. That requires TWO option packages to be added... not just one. Big reason I'll never buy a new Volvo again.

I would agree that all companies do this. But even the lowest model Mazda 3 or Honda Civic has blind spot monitors now. But it is still an option on a Volvo or Lexus!

But even the lowest model Mazda 3 or Honda Civic has blind spot monitors now.

SCBS is standard on the 3 which is about the only safety feature that is 'free'. Blind Spot Monitoring is NOT standard on a 3 Sport Base model. In the USA, at least.

//EDIT//
The Civic LX base model doesn't either. Again, in the US.

I think only Toyota has it standard across every model right now.

Last edited:

Exactly. I was considering an Audi Q5 before I bought the Mazda. For a fully loaded Q5 that has everything my CX5 has it would have been $18,000 more!

SCBS is standard on the 3 which is about the only safety feature that is 'free'. Blind Spot Monitoring is NOT standard on a 3 Sport Base model. In the USA, at least.

//EDIT//
The Civic LX base model doesn't either. Again, in the US.

I think only Toyota has it standard across every model right now.

You may be right. I think most of the dealers around us stock vehicles with the preferred package the give you that. But it is standard on the touring - at 21K.

Like:
View attachment 220182

I'd say BMW is the worst. You can literally almost double the value of an M3 with options, lol!

Like:
View attachment 220182

Eh, the mainstream brands may have options and trims just the same, but you can still build a nicely equipped car for a price in the ballpark of the starting price. Saying your cars start at $35k but making you to spend another $20k more for mainstream features is entirely a luxury brand thing.

Eh, the mainstream brands may have options and trims just the same, but you can still build a nicely equipped car for a price in the ballpark of the starting price. Saying your cars start at $35k but making you to spend another $20k more for mainstream features is entirely a luxury brand thing.

Indeed it is.

Back