CX-5 Water Pump Stretch Belt Replacement

TrueNorth

:
CX-5
I am doing some regular maintenance on my 2015 CX-5 2.5L and have come up with a snag when replacing the belts.
Note these need to be done through the passenger side wheel well.

The serpentine belt was a piece of cake.
However, the stretch belt for the water pump is a different story. Getting the old belt off was easy.
The Service Manual says to simply hook the new belt around the smaller pully ridge on the water pump, then push the belt onto the main pully on the water pump with your finger while turning the crank.

Has anyone done this successfully with a new belt?

I was unable to get the new belt even close to wrapping around even the smaller pully on the water pump, so of course was unable to even try to get the belt to wrap on to the main pulley.

In my searches I have not come across anyone who has done this successfully. Rockauto suggests that when buying a Gates stretch belt for this application, to use a Stretch Belt Tool #91030 to get the job done. However I have not heard of anyone successfully using this tool. For other Mazda stretch belts, e.g. AC, I have seen reference to using this tool on the crankshaft.

Has anyone done this and can offer some advice?

Check if both belts have the same length.
I have not done it myself, but I had been watching how my mechanics did that, on different makes/models. They used the tool...

I have done it. On day one I gave up and just put the old belt back on. That was easy because it was already stretched. A couple days later I tried it again and was able to get the new belt on. You just have to put the pulley in just the right place so the belt does not catch on the pulley bolts as it is turned. Put the belt on the underside of the pulley as far around as you can. Then the rest of the belt wrap as close to the ridges as you can on the hump of the pulley. Turn the crank bolt clockwise while holding the belt on the pulley so it does not come off. It took me many tries until it finally caught.
One problem is when it is just about to catch you get hit with engine compression. Which makes turning the crank difficult. I would suggest getting a second person to hold the belt on, or remove the spark plug to relieve some of that compression.

Also I am sure you are using Jack Stands. Never get under there with just the scissor jack. I have seen them break, and they can go without warning, and the car can slam down before you can move.

I went to the Mazda dealer for the belts.

Last edited:
Many thanks timbrstx!
For sure I use jack stands, have spent much time under vehicles and would not dream for getting there without them.
Regarding the belt, same here, I just put the old one back on after failing to get the new one on.
I experienced the same issue as you described when attempting to install the new belt, it would catch on the pully bolts.
I was hoping someone had used the tool recommended (and sold) by Gates and would proclaim it was a piece of cake....
I will give it another go based on your advice when I get the gumption.

Confession: I have not done this.
However, this is what I would try - using the gates 91030 tool without the bolt - or possibly modify the Lisle 59370 or the Drake Off Road 17230 by grinding off the "remove" portion so the tool will fit behind the water pump pulley: Put the stretch belt on the crankshaft pulley and behind the water pump pulley. Slip the gates tool or modified Lisle tool behind and over the lip of the water pump pulley and get the stretch belt started by rotating clockwise to jam the tool with the belt started on the water pump pulley. Keep on turning until the tool falls off and the belt is on the pulley.

Last edited:
I was looking at the loan a tool program from O'reilly auto parts. Seems there is a tool that might help. One Tool says remove the other says install. I don't know how or if it will work.

Stretch Belt mate.https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l-tools-evertough-belt-tool-kit/67089/4700285

Hmmm. Interesting. Perhaps laying the belt in the sun for a bit makes it a bit more pliable to work with.

Now regarding alleviating engine compression, would removing 1 spark plug suffice of must remove all 4?

I was looking at the loan a tool program from O'reilly auto parts. Seems there is a tool that might help. One Tool says remove the other says install. I don't know how or if it will work.

Stretch Belt mate.https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l-tools-evertough-belt-tool-kit/67089/4700285
You can always get both. They're free anyway.

But the fineprint from O'Reilly says you have to return them within 48 hours? I rented tools from AutoZone and they gave me 90 days to use for free! ;)

Now regarding alleviating engine compression, would removing 1 spark plug suffice of must remove all 4?
If you bother to check cylinder compression pressure, then do it to all 4, remove one spark plug at a time and measure. You'll find they all will be different and they can't be too much variation among all 4 cylinders.

If you bother to check cylinder compression pressure, then do it to all 4, remove one spark plug at a time and measure. You'll find they all will be different and they can't be too much variation among all 4 cylinders.

Not for checking compression but rather to alleviate compression to make it easier to install the stretch belt while turning the pulley.

Not for checking compression but rather to alleviate compression to make it easier to install the stretch belt while turning the pulley.
From my experience you really dont need to alleviate compression in order to turn the crankshaft manually with a big wrench.

From my experience you really dont need to alleviate compression in order to turn the crankshaft manually with a big wrench.

Ok thanks. Going to be changing both belts soon this month.

Back