What new Mazda is coming?

They're hoping to sell 150,000 of them a year. That'll require volume pricing so I don't think it'll be more upscale (and thus more expensive) than the CX-5, especially as the CX-5 has continued to move more upmarket. I think it'll slot in the middle between the 3 and CX-5 and be priced similar to the CX-5 sport and touring a few years ago - 22-25k.

Whered this 150,000 number come from? Mazda doesnt have its sights on volume. Their public goal is to become a premium brand, not roll out more cars in the $20k class.

Last edited:
I would actually like a "CX-4", in between the 3 and 5. I know, it's splitting hairs, but even though I love the CX-5, it feels slightly larger than I'd like. Something about 6 inches shorter and 1.5 inches narrower than the CX-5 would be perfect.

I think the lineup is perfect as is and reflects most of the industry.
Kona, Crosstrek, CX3, HRV
Tuscon, Forester, CX5, CRV
Sante Fe, Ascent, CX 9, Pilot

Where*d this 150,000 number come from? Mazda doesn*t have its sights on volume. Their public goal is to become a premium brand, not roll out more cars in the $20k class.

From their press release: https://corporatenews.pressroom.toy...ounce+alabama+us+auto+manufacturing+plant.htm

The new plant will have the capacity to build 300,000 vehicles annually, with production split evenly between two lines for each company to produce Mazda*s crossover model that will be newly introduced to the North American market and the Toyota Corolla.

Their goal is to make money! ;-)

I just saw a story on ROAD/SHOW by CNET dated Jan 23/2019, that was reviewing the redesigned for 2019, Mazda 3. They made reference in their story about an AWD Mazda 3 Premium sedan and hatchback. Did they get this right or are they thinking of the CX-3 hatchback? I am not aware of a AWD Mazda 3 hatchback for 2019. If this is true, this definitely is what my wife might like over the smaller CX-3!! As she said to me , "no one, even females should have to duck their head and set down onto a seat in any AWD"!!

Here's the link to that story:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...13782fc&bhid=26879166928666539118760888574802

Last edited:
the new mazda 3 AWD is due out in a month or so..
check out the pricing and the different variants

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-will-start-at-21-000-what-do-you-wan-1831989113

I just saw a story on ROAD/SHOW by CNET dated Jan 23/2019, that was reviewing the redesigned for 2019, Mazda 3. They made reference in their story about an AWD Mazda 3 Premium sedan and hatchback. Did they get this right or are they thinking of the CX-3 hatchback? I am not aware of a AWD Mazda 3 hatchback for 2019. If this is true, this definitely is what my wife might like over the smaller CX-3!! As she said to me , "no one, even females should have to duck their head and set down onto a seat in any AWD"!!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...13782fc&bhid=26879166928666539118760888574802

150,000 units basically confirms its a new CX3.

Why?

The only car that comes close to 150k in NA sales is CX-5. The CX-3 is a sales bust in this part of the world. Honestly, Id argue that they should kill it off in NA.

Also, the fact that the story references a newly introduced Mazda model while mentioning the Corolla by name is a strong sign that this is something brand new, rather than a second-gen CX-3.

Itll be a step up from the CX-5, mark my words. :)

Th new 3 can be had in AWD form in several trims (above base).

There is no mention this vehicle will be built in America. Itll be years before that plant is up and and running.

The CX3 is already selling over 100,000 units per year. Reasonable goal to stretch that up to 150,000.

Lastly, Mazda likes to claim the 2nd gen CX5 is all new, when it really isnt. The same thing will then happen to the CX3.

Ill patiently await my reward.

=)

Also-think about this. Go back 5 years. How many gen 2 3s did you see on the roads versus 2s? That ratio was far in favor of the 3.

Same ratio goes for CX5s vs CX3s.

However, the CX3 is a better driving vehicle than the CX5. Its much more car-like. If they can enlarge the CX3 just enough to make US consumers buy it, then they will.

Why would they show a teaser vehicle not to be built for years?

I do agree long term theyll fill the gap between the CX5 and CX9... and maybe theyll ape BMW with some coupe CUVs to add more variety and options. But that is still several years away at minimum.

To me both the Outback and Crosstrek are kinda outside of the normal segment.

Dsiagree re: Xtrek. As someone who cross shopped a CX5 and Xtrek...
Maybe the Outback but the Crosstrek IS a CX3 / HRV. All day.

XTrek CX3
152 HP 146 HP
145 ft lb 146 ft lb
27/33 mpg 27/32 mpg
$21,795 $21,360
Safety ratings: Tie

(Comparing the AWD CX3)
The Xrek handily embarrasses the CX3 in interior space in every regard, but on paper just about everything else is the same... just like the HRV.

And the CX3 is a Mazda 2 with a lift kit.

vr1xbu3foa9wzcwo0jyu.jpg

I would actually like a "CX-4", in between the 3 and 5. I know, it's splitting hairs, but even though I love the CX-5, it feels slightly larger than I'd like. Something about 6 inches shorter and 1.5 inches narrower than the CX-5 would be perfect.

I personally agree with you, but if the model is meant primarily for the American market they will almost certainly go bigger not smaller. Bigger is what sells.

Back