What new Mazda is coming?

Although i agree with your statement, Cx-5 will run you at least another $4-$5k over the cx-3 and might not be a viable option to some.
i don't think making the cx-3 on a mazda 3 platform will make it so much bigger.
I think it will be just right.
Basically it'll be a lifted version of the Mazda 3 AWD.
Currently the car looks very hot and it just needs a tad more trunk space is all.
If the Cx-3 came out before the Mazda3, i most likely would've gotten it over the Mazda3
But now i have both..haha

I don*t think they should make the small one bigger for people who think it*s too small. They already make a bigger one. It*s called CX-5. Just buy that instead if the CX-3 is too small so that there is actually still something small and efficient for those who want that. With as many different sizes of SUV on the market now (CX-3 HRV ect all the way to Suburban) you should be able to find something that will work.

I don*t think they should make the small one bigger for people who think it*s too small. They already make a bigger one. It*s called CX-5. Just buy that instead if the CX-3 is too small so that there is actually still something small and efficient for those who want that. With as many different sizes of SUV on the market now (CX-3 HRV ect all the way to Suburban) you should be able to find something that will work.

The CX-3 sells poorly in the US. It's just too small and a bit underpowered. They've sold average of about 17,000 a year for past 3 years - paltry. Rumormill churns toward a USA-only crossover based on the 3 platform. My guess is it will be like the 3 hatchback but lifted and stretched a bit, with AWD available. Their volume estimates are pretty high so I'm guessing they'll plan to steal sales from the CX-5 with this. Maybe that's why the CX-5 continues to move more upscale and becomes a $30,000+ car and this other will fit in the middle-20s between the 3 and CX-5.

I think its way too early to show a vehicle they will build at the joint plant in Alabama. My money is on a slightly bigger CX3 based on the new 3 platform.

Is the CX-3 really that much smaller than its competitors? I felt like everything in that class seemed about the same small even the Honda which I expected to be better because of the time lord nature of the fit its based on.

In fact I think the CX-3 and Kona are the best in that class.

I totally understand its to small for most. Small cars just dont sell well here but do in other parts of the world with expensive gas and small roads.

Ergo a model more like the Crosstrek to be added as an in between would make more sense. Just my $0.02.

Would explain why they added AWD.......

The biggest complaint about the CX5 was lack of power. They just solved that issue.

Biggest complaint about the CX3 is its size... so... just makes sense to me.

My money is on a CX-7 replacement. Their suggestion that it's specific to our market makes me think it's going to be a 2-row, slightly larger and more upscale vehicle than the 5.

Though I agree the CX-3 needs updating. My money would be on a Kona in that segment currently.

If the CX-3 were packaged better with a bit more power it would probably be the class leader.

i'm going to have to disagree.
having a cx-7 which is a slightly bigger than the cx-5 but smaller than the cx-9 doesn't make sense as the market is very saturated and there won't be much of a difference.
There is also a cx-8 overseas for this specific reason, and not offered here in the states.

but of course they could go the way of BMW and MB and have every single sized car of every friggin segment =P

My money is on a CX-7 replacement. Their suggestion that it's specific to our market makes me think it's going to be a 2-row, slightly larger and more upscale vehicle than the 5.

Is the CX-3 really that much smaller than its competitors? I felt like everything in that class seemed about the same small even the Honda which I expected to be better because of the time lord nature of the fit its based on.

In fact I think the CX-3 and Kona are the best in that class.

I totally understand its to small for most. Small cars just dont sell well here but do in other parts of the world with expensive gas and small roads.

Ergo a model more like the Crosstrek to be added as an in between would make more sense. Just my $0.02.

Would explain why they added AWD.......

HR-V is absolutely cavernous in comparison!

HR-V is absolutely cavernous in comparison!

This is probably due to the excellent packaging as this is based on the Fit. Certainly an area Mazda can improve. I see it as well with my GTI (smaller on the outside) which feels bigger inside than a 3.

I do see the logic behind a 3 based CX-3 idea and packaging sounds like it should be improved on the next generation.

However Geneva is a pretty high caliber auto show and it feels like a place a brand like Mazda announces a completely new model vs a refresh of one that doesnt even sell that well.

CX3 = over 100,000 units world wide. It doesnt need to be much bigger to gain more US market share.

I dont think youll see anything bigger than the CX5 until they get closer to opening the US plant. A slightly bigger 2 row ala Ford Edge... new Blazer, etc.

Although... I think they wanted to release some type of EV in 2019... with technology acquired from the Toyota partnership. But, it seems too early for that and I wonder if adding the battery to the sky-activ x engine /drivetrain qualifies as their EV release.

Phew. Still going with CX3 though.

=)

The CX-3 sells poorly in the US. It's just too small and a bit underpowered. They've sold average of about 17,000 a year for past 3 years - paltry. Rumormill churns toward a USA-only crossover based on the 3 platform. My guess is it will be like the 3 hatchback but lifted and stretched a bit, with AWD available. Their volume estimates are pretty high so I'm guessing they'll plan to steal sales from the CX-5 with this. Maybe that's why the CX-5 continues to move more upscale and becomes a $30,000+ car and this other will fit in the middle-20s between the 3 and CX-5.
The Crosstrek has the almost exactly same power. Doesn't hurt it's sales. As does the HRV. I don't think people shopping that segment are as concerned with power. They want good AWD cheap. The CX3 has that. My buddy got one 2 summers ago.
He admitted later he wanted cheap but probably should have gotten the 5. It's a bit in the tight side inside. Talked to him later that winter...and he was loving his 3.
I'll be curious what he does 9nce the lease is up in 20.

They're hoping to sell 150,000 of them a year. That'll require volume pricing so I don't think it'll be more upscale (and thus more expensive) than the CX-5, especially as the CX-5 has continued to move more upmarket. I think it'll slot in the middle between the 3 and CX-5 and be priced similar to the CX-5 sport and touring a few years ago - 22-25k.

Last edited:
Back