Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What new Mazda is coming?

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    Larger version of a CX-3 isn't a bad guess. According to this: http://www.madeinalabama.com/2018/10...ials-in-japan/ They're planning 150k corollas and 150k mazda "crossovers". That's a big number for a Mazda model. Are they going to be platform sharing with Toyota? Other possibility is its a tweaked version of China's CX-4 that's more SUV-like. They might drop the base models of the CX-5 for whatever this is - clearly it's meant to be a volume seller, which means cheaper.
    Well right now their volume seller is the CX-5 by a wide margin. I don't think the CX-3 is a good starting point. Between the CX-3 and the Mazda3 hatch, it'd be unwise to add anything new smaller than the CX-5.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Well right now their volume seller is the CX-5 by a wide margin. I don't think the CX-3 is a good starting point. Between the CX-3 and the Mazda3 hatch, it'd be unwise to add anything new smaller than the CX-5.
    I foresee them dropping the CX-3 in the USA. The new factory announcement says whatever it is is tailored to the USA market.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I definitely think itís whatever they are making in that joint plant.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...firmed-110065/

Registered Member

ss

Could it be a derivative of the CX-4 that's been a China only model so far? Hopefully throw in the 2.5T and give it a Sig. level trim and discontinue the CX-3.

Last edited by davefr; 01-14-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Doubt also, but one can hope. My boss used to have an RX-8 and is sorely disappointed Mazda lacks anything in their lineup to replace it. She's looking at a Kia Stinger for crying out loud. A Kia! As well as other sportier cars.
    The stinger is absolutely legit.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The stinger is absolutely legit.
    Oh I don't disagree at all!
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Could it be a derivative of the CX-4 that's been a China only model so far? Hopefully throw in the 2.5T and give it a Sig. level trim and discontinue the CX-3.

Don't think they would replace a compact car with a mid/full size one though.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    The sad part is the news mag I got from Mazda itself last month was titled *ZOOM ZOOM!*

Don*t judge a book by its cover they say, lol, because I sure the hell didn*t find any inside...lol
    The first honest thought I had when I pulled out that copy from the mailbox, "What a load of crap." Just my honest first thought when I saw it.
    I was so hoping that the new 3 would look decent and also have a return of the Speed 3 that could hang with the GTI or similar. Disappointed on both aspects.

I understand and appreciate Mazda is going in a different direction, but the Zoom Zoom is joke in today's market. Seems like Mazda would be embarrassed to still use that phrase. Almost all the major brands have at least one trim or model that is in the performance game. I watched a preview of Toyota's premier of the Supra GR last night. While it is not appealing to me I am happy to see they are still interested in bringing real Zoom Zoom in the market.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Don't think they would replace a compact car with a mid/full size one though.
    Yeah, and if you see the CX-4 in person, it is larger than a 5-door Mazda 3. Almost looks like a station wagon. Nice looking car but not a CX-3 replacement. The CX-3 is really, really tight in the back seat. They need to fix that.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

My CX5 would be perfect if it had about two more inches in front seat elbow room like my old CX7. I really hoped the updated CX5 Turbo would have more front seat room. Ed

Registered Member

2018 Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Yeah, and if you see the CX-4 in person, it is larger than a 5-door Mazda 3. Almost looks like a station wagon. Nice looking car but not a CX-3 replacement. The CX-3 is really, really tight in the back seat. They need to fix that.
    Tight in the back seat? How about the front seat? When the CX-3 came out a few years ago, it was the car I was waiting for. I didn't want a Mazda 2, and I wanted a small sporty SUV. However, being 6'4", I cannot even ENTER a CX-3. Literally cannot enter the car even if I touch my nose to my knee and try to barrel roll into the door. Compared to a Qashqai (which is extremely big in comparison) or HR-V, the CX-3 is a clown car. I would support and be very interested in a slightly bigger version.

Not trying to stereotype here, but every time I see a CX-3 driving around I look at the driver, and from my personal experience it is usually always a tiny woman driving it. Would be nice if Mazda could make a car in that range for taller men to look at as well and have as an option when car shopping.
    Last edited by Mopstah; 01-15-2019 at 10:44 AM.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I definitely think it*s whatever they are making in that joint plant.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...firmed-110065/
    Yes, Mazda already confirmed that it is a hybrid with an optional rotary engine range extender.

"Mazda will initially launch two battery EVs. One powered solely by battery, the other pairing a battery with Mazda's small, lightweight and exceptionally quiet rotary engine as a range-extender.

The range-extender will recharge the battery when necessary to increase the vehicle's driving range, eliminating the range anxiety which continues to trouble a high percentage of battery EV users.

The rotary engine's small size and high power output make multiple electrification technology solutions possible via a shared packaging layout. Taking advantage of the rotary engine*s compatibility with gaseous fuels, the rotary-powered range extender is designed to also burn liquefied petroleum gas and provide a source of electricity in emergencies."

https://www.mazda-press.com/eu/news/...nge-extender-/

Your Wankel Prius Is Coming!
    Last edited by mazdadude; 01-15-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mopstah View Post
    Tight in the back seat? How about the front seat? When the CX-3 came out a few years ago, it was the car I was waiting for. I didn't want a Mazda 2, and I wanted a small sporty SUV. However, being 6'4", I cannot even ENTER a CX-3. Literally cannot enter the car even if I touch my nose to my knee and try to barrel roll into the door. Compared to a Qashqai (which is extremely big in comparison) or HR-V, the CX-3 is a clown car. I would support and be very interested in a slightly bigger version.

Not trying to stereotype here, but every time I see a CX-3 driving around I look at the driver, and from my personal experience it is usually always a tiny woman driving it. Would be nice if Mazda could make a car in that range for taller men to look at as well and have as an option when car shopping.
    I've noticed this too.

CX-3 is indeed too small. I'm only 6', but I have really long legs and I agree it is not a comfortable vehicle unless you're short.

So wouldn't surprise me if they are introducing a bit bigger version for the US market.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mopstah View Post

I could see that being the case but for me and my son, both at 6'1" and no more than 190 lbs, I did not find the front to be problematic. The back was an absolute no go.

The CX-3 was also really fun to drive. The handling was tight and very flickable. My son desperately wanted it but the cost was nuts. 25K for a mid level CX-3 or 21K for the roomier and faster Mazda 3. The pricing of the CX-3 just made no sense.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    The first honest thought I had when I pulled out that copy from the mailbox, "What a load of crap." Just my honest first thought when I saw it.
    I was so hoping that the new 3 would look decent and also have a return of the Speed 3 that could hang with the GTI or similar. Disappointed on both aspects.

I understand and appreciate Mazda is going in a different direction, but the Zoom Zoom is joke in today's market. Seems like Mazda would be embarrassed to still use that phrase. Almost all the major brands have at least one trim or model that is in the performance game. I watched a preview of Toyota's premier of the Supra GR last night. While it is not appealing to me I am happy to see they are still interested in bringing real Zoom Zoom in the market.
    The Supra is a badged BMW with an entry price of 50K. Toyota offers 6 different type of SUV's or cross-overs. Mazda only offers a total of 8 vehicles total! Five of which can be had in trims that do 0-60 in less 6.X seconds or less (CX-5 Sig, Mazda 6 Sig, Miata, CX-9 Sig, Mazda 3 2.5).

For what they are, Mazda offers cars with lots of performance, especially given their price point. I would argue they are still very zoom, zoom.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast