What new Mazda is coming?

And Colorado posts the picture of Clark Griswold*s station wagon in 3...2....1......

Ok...

Vacation_006Pyxurz-1024x720.jpg

I understand the wagon love, even if I think the overall shape and dimensions make them one of the ugliest car classes in existence (like if a wiener dog was a car), but I won't argue. They have their uses, it's just not for me. Different folks, different strokes. 6 wagon would make a lot of folks on this board very happy.

Last edited:
Doesn't the CX-5 have more room internally than the old CX-7 did?

So what role is a proposed CX-7 playing in the current line-up? A bigger CX-5? Not quite a CX-9?

CX-5 was the replacement for the CX-7 was it not?

The 5 and the old 7 are about the same. However, I think something larger than the 5 that isn't a 3-row would be well-received, at least in the US. Something akin to the size of the Edge or new Blazer.

The 5 and the old 7 are about the same. However, I think something larger than the 5 that isn't a 3-row would be well-received, at least in the US. Something akin to the size of the Edge or new Blazer.

I*d buy it. No use for a 3rd row, but a little more room in the 2nd row would be great. It would fill the need of me being able to sit in the passenger seat comfortably when the baby seat had to be turned around (if you*re taller than 5ft 8 idk how one does this), give a little more room for 2 baby seats for those that need (no way would I keep this thing with two youngings), and just a little more room in general for adults and what not. Too that off with CX-5 like cargo space
To boot, and you have yourselves a winner, to Me anyways...

And I think they have said before that they would introduce another crossover that would be made in that joint plant with Toyota.

cx-3's are pretty popular in europe.... i see a lot more there than cx-5's. The different vehicles for different market needs. The platforms are pretty flexible so it's not all that difficult to manufacture.

Yeah, it actually does. In fact, they sell just a few less CX-3's in Europe as they sell Mazda 3's in the USA. I could see a new Mazda CX-3 coming.

Larger version of a CX-3 isn't a bad guess. According to this: http://www.madeinalabama.com/2018/10/alabama-team-talks-future-with-mazda-toyota-officials-in-japan/ They're planning 150k corollas and 150k mazda "crossovers". That's a big number for a Mazda model. Are they going to be platform sharing with Toyota? Other possibility is its a tweaked version of China's CX-4 that's more SUV-like. They might drop the base models of the CX-5 for whatever this is - clearly it's meant to be a volume seller, which means cheaper.

Last edited:
I*d buy it. No use for a 3rd row, but a little more room in the 2nd row would be great. It would fill the need of me being able to sit in the passenger seat comfortably when the baby seat had to be turned around (if you*re taller than 5ft 8 idk how one does this), give a little more room for 2 baby seats for those that need (no way would I keep this thing with two youngings), and just a little more room in general for adults and what not. Too that off with CX-5 like cargo space
To boot, and you have yourselves a winner, to Me anyways...

Preach! It'd be my ideal SUV for just that reason. I don't understand why crossovers are so terrible at accommodating infant seats. Instead of prioritizing this everyday family situation and pushing the rear seats back a few inches so the front passenger isn't chewing their knees, they prioritize the cargo area. Makes no sense to me considering you can always drop the rear seats on those random days you really need the cargo space. At the very least, they should design a sliding rear seat with significant travel distance so owners can customize to their situation (most I've seen only travel a couple inches).

Larger version of a CX-3 isn't a bad guess. According to this: http://www.madeinalabama.com/2018/10/alabama-team-talks-future-with-mazda-toyota-officials-in-japan/ They're planning 150k corollas and 150k mazda "crossovers". That's a big number for a Mazda model. Are they going to be platform sharing with Toyota? Other possibility is its a tweaked version of China's CX-4 that's more SUV-like. They might drop the base models of the CX-5 for whatever this is - clearly it's meant to be a volume seller, which means cheaper.

Well right now their volume seller is the CX-5 by a wide margin. I don't think the CX-3 is a good starting point. Between the CX-3 and the Mazda3 hatch, it'd be unwise to add anything new smaller than the CX-5.

Well right now their volume seller is the CX-5 by a wide margin. I don't think the CX-3 is a good starting point. Between the CX-3 and the Mazda3 hatch, it'd be unwise to add anything new smaller than the CX-5.

I foresee them dropping the CX-3 in the USA. The new factory announcement says whatever it is is tailored to the USA market.

Could it be a derivative of the CX-4 that's been a China only model so far? Hopefully throw in the 2.5T and give it a Sig. level trim and discontinue the CX-3.

mazda-cx4-china-silver-2.jpg

Last edited:
Could it be a derivative of the CX-4 that's been a China only model so far? Hopefully throw in the 2.5T and give it a Sig. level trim and discontinue the CX-3.

mazda-cx4-china-silver-2.jpg

Don't think they would replace a compact car with a mid/full size one though.

The sad part is the news mag I got from Mazda itself last month was titled *ZOOM ZOOM!*

Don*t judge a book by its cover they say, lol, because I sure the hell didn*t find any inside...lol

The first honest thought I had when I pulled out that copy from the mailbox, "What a load of crap." Just my honest first thought when I saw it.
I was so hoping that the new 3 would look decent and also have a return of the Speed 3 that could hang with the GTI or similar. Disappointed on both aspects.

I understand and appreciate Mazda is going in a different direction, but the Zoom Zoom is joke in today's market. Seems like Mazda would be embarrassed to still use that phrase. Almost all the major brands have at least one trim or model that is in the performance game. I watched a preview of Toyota's premier of the Supra GR last night. While it is not appealing to me I am happy to see they are still interested in bringing real Zoom Zoom in the market.

Don't think they would replace a compact car with a mid/full size one though.

Yeah, and if you see the CX-4 in person, it is larger than a 5-door Mazda 3. Almost looks like a station wagon. Nice looking car but not a CX-3 replacement. The CX-3 is really, really tight in the back seat. They need to fix that.

My CX5 would be perfect if it had about two more inches in front seat elbow room like my old CX7. I really hoped the updated CX5 Turbo would have more front seat room. Ed

Back