What new Mazda is coming?

I may have been partly wrong. From what I read CX-4 is slightly longer than CX-5, but has the same wheelbase and width. The difference is that the 4 is definitely shorter in height vs the 5.

CX-4 definitely looks more wagon like to me.
As long as you can own up to your mistaken assumptions. Its all good man.
The new cx-4, if it is the cx-4, could be bigger than the cx-5 as it will be based on a new platform.

As long as you can own up to your mistaken assumptions. Its all good man.
The new cx-4, if it is the cx-4, could be bigger than the cx-5 as it will be based on a new platform.
Yeah I try not to assume, but I totally did there.

The CX-4 is long and low. I have seen several when in China. With small wheels, it looks cheap but with good size wheels, looks fantastic. Visually, it looks much longer than the CX-5 because of the low roof line.

I am not sure how much difference there will be between this and a 5 door AWD Mazda 3.

The CX-4 is long and low. I have seen several when in China. With small wheels, it looks cheap but with good size wheels, looks fantastic. Visually, it looks much longer than the CX-5 because of the low roof line.

I am not sure how much difference there will be between this and a 5 door AWD Mazda 3.

it'll be like a mazda 3 on steroids.
however i like to see how this stacks up with the cx-5.
I know the new suv hasn't been unveiled yet, but man the rear looks sexy!

The only thing that makes sense is something that slots between the CX-5 and CX-9. I dont believe the CX-7 name plate will return, it wasnt a shining moment for Mazda. My guess it is will be a CX-6 or possibly the CX-8. I doubt the CX-8, as thats already out over seas but isnt engineered for the US market.

Also, Moro announced another crossover is coming later after this. My guess is the redesigned CX-3, which will be based off the new Mazda3 as opposed to the Mazda2. The current CX-3 is just way to small.

Also, Moro announced another crossover is coming later after this. My guess is the redesigned CX-3, which will be based off the new Mazda3 as opposed to the Mazda2. The current CX-3 is just way to small.

Don't count on the CX-3, which is as good as dead in the US in my opinion. Moro says the new crossover will be exclusive to the US. If the CX-7 wasn't a shining moment, then the CX-3 should be considered a trainwreck in the US.

Avg. Annual Sales (partial years excluded)

CX-7: 26,000 (peak 41,000)
CX-3: 17,000 (peak 18,000)

To put it in context, Mazda sells 10x more CX-5 than CX-3 in the US. I agree with you that the only thing that makes sense in the US is for Mazda to fill the space between the CX-5 and CX-9.

the Toyota CH-R which i believe is a direct competitor to the cx-3 has avg annual sales of 38,000 units (2 years figure)
honda HR-V sold an avg 90,000 units a year,
and the cx-3 has 17,000 units

this isn't bad, considering toyota as a company sells over 2million cars a year, 2% being CH-R's
honda sells over 1.4 million. 6% being HR-V's
mazda sells close to only 300k units. 5.5% being cx-3's

so the overall ratio might still be enough for them to continue selling the cx-3 in the US, that's my guess

Don't count on the CX-3, which is as good as dead in the US in my opinion. Moro says the new crossover will be exclusive to the US. If the CX-7 wasn't a shining moment, then the CX-3 should be considered a trainwreck in the US.

To put it in context, Mazda sells 10x more CX-5 than CX-3 in the US. I agree with you that the only thing that makes sense in the US is for Mazda to fill the space between the CX-5 and CX-9.

the Toyota CH-R which i believe is a direct competitor to the cx-3 has avg annual sales of 38,000 units (2 years figure)
honda HR-V sold an avg 90,000 units a year,
and the cx-3 has 17,000 units

this isn't bad, considering toyota as a company sells over 2million cars a year, 2% being CH-R's
honda sells over 1.4 million. 6% being HR-V's
mazda sells close to only 300k units. 5.5% being cx-3's

so the overall ratio might still be enough for them to continue selling the cx-3 in the US, that's my guess

I dunno if percentage of sales is enough to justify it. Cheaper cars have lower margins, so considering the CX-3 incurs shipping/tariff costs in the US, they probably gotta sell more than 16k/year to make it worthwhile. It's worth remembering that the CX-3 effectively replaced the Mazda2 in the US. The result? Mazda is only selling about 10% more CX-3 than Mazda2.

My guess is that Mazda has finally realizing that it can't compete in the sub-compact category in the US. With two brand new crossovers in the pipeline (one of which is US exclusive) along with the next-gen CX-5, it has a full plate of more profitable cars for the US market.

I dunno if percentage of sales is enough to justify it. Cheaper cars have lower margins, so considering the CX-3 incurs shipping/tariff costs in the US, they probably gotta sell more than 16k/year to make it worthwhile. It's worth remembering that the CX-3 effectively replaced the Mazda2 in the US. The result? Mazda is only selling about 10% more CX-3 than Mazda2.

My guess is that Mazda has finally realizing that it can't compete in the sub-compact category in the US. With two brand new crossovers in the pipeline (one of which is US exclusive) along with the next-gen CX-5, it has a full plate of more profitable cars for the US market.

it has to be somewhat percentage based though, we know that mazda doesn't make as much $$$ or produce as much has honda or toyota.
If their cars ie, cx-3 or mazda2 does not sell as expected probably a % of their total sales, then of course it's not worth to offer it.
But as mentioned 17,000 units of sales from a company that sells 300k units annually is not bad, it is still 5.5% of their total sales.
It's right up there with percentage of sales of it's competition models from Honda/ Toyota.
Yes 17,000 doesn't sound much at all if compared to total sales from toyota or honda, but mazda isn't making those numbers yet and if compared correctly, it's not really a failure

How about if Mazda did a complete reverse and brought out something like a scaled down toyota forerunner (not rav4) - remember the Tribute?
Not that the CX 5 can't go off road, but a more rugged and properly sized (forerunner has gotten huge) vehicle would be interesting and might sell well in the US.
Maybe some day, maybe not.

How about if Mazda did a complete reverse and brought out something like a scaled down toyota forerunner (not rav4) - remember the Tribute?
Not that the CX 5 can't go off road, but a more rugged and properly sized (forerunner has gotten huge) vehicle would be interesting and might sell well in the US.
Maybe some day, maybe not.

just 3 more weeks, we will all find out. but 1 thing for certain, mazda is introducing 2 new SUV's one at geneva and another for a US only market produced in conjunction with the toyota plant in 2021

The CX-7 was a disaster because of the 2.3 DISI engine. Completely unreliable. Only the NA 2.5L (FWD only) was any good and was offered at the end of the production run.

The CX-3 is just way too small, but has been reliable.

As I said pages ago, Sales of CX3 > 100,000 year, regardless of the US portion. Its a viable product that can be increased a bit in size without sacrificing EU sales while picking up some US market share. Seems like a good reveal for the EU market.

Also, the CX4 was released a year after the CX3. Natural timelines suggest that would be redesigned after the earlier CX3. Plus the CX4 still rides on an older platform. The revised CX3 will be on the new 3 platform. Hence new.

Lastly, the CX3 still has Kodo round 1 design language. It doesnt fit in with the new CX9, gen 2 CX5 or new 3. Even the 6 looks long in the tooth at this point.

This is my deciphering.

Last edited:
Hopefully this new CUV can give Mazda money to invest into sportier cars. I'm hoping for a Kia Stinger competitor (RWD platform).

I'm also a little cheesed about the overload of CUVs in the market but companies are just answering to what consumers want.

Hopefully this new CUV can give Mazda money to invest into sportier cars. I'm hoping for a Kia Stinger competitor (RWD platform).

I'm also a little cheesed about the overload of CUVs in the market but companies are just answering to what consumers want.

I'd rather a Kia Stinger AWD competitor. RWD is easy, and everyone has one who makes a car, AWD is where you can weasel into that market, IMO.

Honestly though, I have zero interest in a car assembled in America our of Mexican made parts. I'll still buy a CX5 made by Japanese workers in Japan, thanks.

Why? because I've owned American cars, and I've owned JDM cars. The workmanship is not comparable. The small parts are not comparable. s*** made in Mexico and China stuffed into American cars is just that. s***. Do you know how many Mexican/Chinese junk parts I have had to replace in American cars? The only way I feel I can get around that sort of swill is to buy JDM or German, and German is $$$ and us Germans like to make complex mousetraps, so I've gone over the the JDM side of things. As far as I know, the US market CX5 is nearly a 100% JDM sourced and assembled product, and it really shows.

https://www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2018-autoindex.cfm
ZERO percent Mexican.

I know Mazda has a Chinese plant, but cannot find if those CX5s are China market, or if they make parts of US bound CX5's, as well.

Last edited:
I'd rather a Kia Stinger AWD competitor. RWD is easy, and everyone has one who makes a car, AWD is where you can weasel into that market, IMO.

Honestly though, I have zero interest in a car assembled in America our of Mexican made parts. I'll still buy a CX5 made by Japanese workers in Japan, thanks.

Why? because I've owned American cars, and I've owned JDM cars. The workmanship is not comparable. The small parts are not comparable. s*** made in Mexico and China stuffed into American cars is just that. s***. Do you know how many Mexican/Chinese junk parts I have had to replace in American cars? The only way I feel I can get around that sort of swill is to buy JDM or German, and German is $$$ and us Germans like to make complex mousetraps, so I've gone over the the JDM side of things. As far as I know, the US market CX5 is nearly a 100% JDM sourced and assembled product, and it really shows.

https://www.american.edu/kogod/research/autoindex/2018-autoindex.cfm
ZERO percent Mexican.

I know Mazda has a Chinese plant, but cannot find if those CX5s are China market, or if they make parts of US bound CX5's, as well.

Id rather this...(just enveiled X4M...it will sell) and finally a red thats a real red

c2306a7328820a28e840908ea74684c1.jpg

As I said pages ago, Sales of CX3 > 100,000 year, regardless of the US portion. Its a viable product that can be increased a bit in size without sacrificing EU sales while picking up some US market share. Seems like a good reveal for the EU market.

Also, the CX4 was released a year after the CX3. Natural timelines suggest that would be redesigned after the earlier CX3. Plus the CX4 still rides on an older platform. The revised CX3 will be on the new 3 platform. Hence new.

Lastly, the CX3 still has Kodo round 1 design language. It doesnt fit in with the new CX9, gen 2 CX5 or new 3. Even the 6 looks long in the tooth at this point.

This is my deciphering.

yeah 100,000 units is a pretty good figure,
doubtful they will discontinue the cx-3, a new gen would be amazing too.
let's all see what will be released =)

have to agree! also had a santa fe manufactured here in the US, got to say the craftsmanship was different from my mazda.

Back