2019 CX5 vs 2019 Rav4

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Friend is looking at either a 2019 CX5 or a 2019 Toyota RAV4. AWD option.

I know this is a Mazda forum but one thing the Rav4 has is the HYBRID model which gets 43mpg on the highway and more power than the NA CX5.

Anyone compare and test drive these 2 vehicles?

I was looking at these two cars as my next options, exactly these two - unfortunately they have both failed me this model year.

The Mazda because in Canada, it is a stripped down version of every other country's model. Our Signature is really weak, no cameras, etc. Just really disappointing.

The RAV4 which I just looked at this past Saturday (the 2019 XLE, non-hybrid but very similar) let me down because I am 6'4" tall and I could barely get in the door. When I did, my head was literally outside of the sunroof even though the seat was down all the way. Toyota apparently makes TINY interiors...so if your friend is tall, might want to have a seat in one first.

Good luck

Just traded a Toyota Sienna AWD for a 2019 CX-5 Signature. I was looking and waiting for the Rav4 Hybrid BUT, could not get past low HP and TQ and CVT. Toyota makes a great car no doubt BUT they kind of lost me with the front end and rear end and look in general. Rear taillights stick out to the side like the 4Runner. All a matter of taste. You can't go wrong with either, after MANY MANY hours of youtube videos I decided on the CX-5 for a multitude of reasons. One thing you / we have to remember is US and Can CX-5's are not the same. At least not the Sig. Good luck

This should be fun.

giphy.gif

From what I remember of the last thread, it still drives/handles like a Toyota, aka like crap.

I was looking at these two cars as my next options, exactly these two - unfortunately they have both failed me this model year.

The Mazda because in Canada, it is a stripped down version of every other country's model. Our Signature is really weak, no cameras, etc. Just really disappointing.

The RAV4 which I just looked at this past Saturday (the 2019 XLE, non-hybrid but very similar) let me down because I am 6'4" tall and I could barely get in the door. When I did, my head was literally outside of the sunroof even though the seat was down all the way. Toyota apparently makes TINY interiors...so if your friend is tall, might want to have a seat in one first.

Good luck

I half sympathize. My husband couldn*t fit into the RAV4 (he's only 6 foot but has a long torso). But the CX-5 GT+PP works for me. I keep telling myself that the $10K I saved for not getting the RAV4 hybrid pays for the poorer gas mileage.

I half sympathize. My husband couldn*t fit into the RAV4 (he's only 6 foot but has a long torso). But the CX-5 GT+PP works for me. I keep telling myself that the $10K I saved for not getting the RAV4 hybrid pays for the poorer gas mileage.

Yep, you come out winning by a long shot. Mathematically itll take 8-10 years to recoup that difference with fuel savings. I find myself getting sucked into the hype of 40mpg from time to time, but its not really necessary unless you absolutely love fewer trips to the pump.

Ill probably test drive a Rav4 eventually for due diligence, but so far Im not reading great things. I saw one on the road for the first time yesterday and the back end looked awful - it was the plastic-cladded base model though.

They havent offered brackets for the 2019 RAV4 yet, but the Extend My Seat brackets are great for the previous 2 generations. I was ready to dump (or boycott) my wifes 08 until we had these installed to add easily 3 leg room to the front seats. (Im 62) Of course it came out of the 2nd row legroom...
http://extendmyseat.com/toyota-rav4-2013-2017-seat-brackets/

Good luck
Strange as I am 6'3" and drove a 2019 le recently and there was plenty of room.

This should be fun.

giphy.gif

From what I remember of the last thread, it still drives/handles like a Toyota, aka like crap.
Actually I was impressed with the 2019 RAV4 LE that I drove. Drives much better than my 2014 Limited model and definitely has better handling and power. I'm waiting to try the Hybrid and will compare to the CX5 GT/Signature model. Yes the exterior looks are to individual taste.... and I don't mind it.

If I were in the market for a new car right now, I*d probably check out the new Rav-4. I think most people get it because it*s a Toyota and therefore reliable. The biggest disadvantage for me is that it does not have Android Auto.

It would be interesting to know what body types you two tall guys have. If you*re tall and have a lot of *padding* it*ll make you sit higher in the chair and you won*t have as much elbow room.

It would be interesting to know what body types you two tall guys have. If you*re tall and have a lot of *padding* it*ll make you sit higher in the chair and you won*t have as much elbow room.
I'm 195 so not a lot of padding lol.

Although we didn*t try with my husband in the driver's seat, the height adjustment on that side probably makes a difference compared to the passenger seat.

Also, the headroom is a matter of torso length, not overall height. My husband is only 6', while I*m 5'6", but it's all torso compared to me. We have the same inseam, and when I drive his car, I*m usually putting the seat further back but more upright, giving my legs more room and compensating for shorter arms, while he needs the seat closer with the back tilted further back.

And the most obvious, which I missed when first posting, is that without the moonroof, the LE has an inch more headroom.

Last edited:
I*d probably check out the new Rav-4. I think most people get it because it*s a Toyota and therefore reliable.

Sorry, but it bugs me sometimes when people make a blanket statement like that.
"It's a Toyota and therefore reliable". There's no guaranty that the new RAV4 will be as reliable as some past Toyota's.
Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but being a first year new model, I'd wait.
People buy Honda's for the same reason, and look what's happening there.

"It's a Toyota and therefore reliable". There's no guaranty that the new RAV4 will be as reliable as some past Toyota's.

I never said that it was true, but you can*t deny that people buy Toyotas because of their reputation for reliability even if they are boring.

"It's a Toyota and therefore reliable"
. There's no guaranty that the new RAV4 will be as reliable as some past Toyota's.

...hmmm...I'm pretty sure that CR still has Toyota at #1 in Car Brand reliability for 2018, so you can take that for what it's worth.

But do agree that Honda has been slipping on that list.

Latest posts

Back