Clear bra paint protection film for CX-9?

Montanaman

Montana/Arizona
:
2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT
Thinking of having my slightly used (5000 miles) 2018 GT AWD clear bra'ed this week before anything else chips. I've had other cars done and I am a believer. Does anybody have any film preferences? I know the Expel stuff is considered the top but most of the other brands are good at this point. It's all about the installer. What have others done, what parts of the car and what did you pay? I'm thinking entire front end, maybe just the front of the hood and the mirrors and maybe the A pillars. I'm thinking that should be in the $600-$800 range. I'm in the Phoenix area for a few months and there are several installers/shops around.

This is something your should be talking directly with your installer about what they use.

I am a 3m certified clear protective film installer but do not always use 3m products.

I would at least look at the work the shop you choose to have this done. Experience and attention to detail and thought about the customers vehicle for installing a clear film is the first and most important thing.

Last edited:
xpost from another thread:
I purchased a 3M Scotchgard Pro clear bra kit from eBay in late 2016 for my 2016 CX-9 GT for $270. It came with film for the front bumper, hood, fenders and side mirrors. I would say that all except the front bumper were easy to apply. The front bumper was a bit tricky as you have to apply it vertically. If you are patient you can wait for a 15% off coupon eBay to get the kit even cheaper.

I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer. They did a fine job. The 3M was warranted, so when I noticed a couple of small air bubbles and an edge lifting (maybe 3-5 mm in length) after a few months, I pointed it out to the dealer and they reapplied the film. I highly recommend PPF, but if had the chance to do it again, I would opt for the full hood and front fender coverage, instead of the kit that only covers the front 18-24" of the car. Full hood and fender coverage makes the PPF application a little less noticeable.

I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer. They did a fine job. The 3M was warranted, so when I noticed a couple of small air bubbles and an edge lifting (maybe 3-5 mm in length) after a few months, I pointed it out to the dealer and they reapplied the film. I highly recommend PPF, but if had the chance to do it again, I would opt for the full hood and front fender coverage, instead of the kit that only covers the front 18-24" of the car. Full hood and fender coverage makes the PPF application a little less noticeable.

So the basic kit does about half the hood? I was going to leave the fenders and roof alone and maybe just to the top front edge of the hood ( few inches) the entire front end around and up to the fenders and mirrors. The A pillars on this car are almost sideways so not sure about doing those.

I was quoted $850 by a reputable local shop for 3M film for the front end (Bumper, hood, and fenders). I think I'm going to pull the trigger here soon but also add the side view mirrors and that small section of rear bumper right next to the trunk.

I was quoted $850 by a reputable local shop for 3M film for the front end (Bumper, hood, and fenders). I think I'm going to pull the trigger here soon but also add the side view mirrors and that small section of rear bumper right next to the trunk.

$850 USD seems high for only hood, fenders and bumper. Get quotes from any of your other local shops and compare. If I didn't get my PPF application for free during negotiation, it would have cost me $750-800 CAD for the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors.

$850 USD seems high for only hood, fenders and bumper. Get quotes from any of your other local shops and compare. If I didn't get my PPF application for free during negotiation, it would have cost me $750-800 CAD for the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors.

Where I am, for the 3M 10 year stuff, I paid $1500 for the entire front (bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood and front fenders) so $850 seem like a steal!

My place also does a complete paint correction before application.

Where I am, for the 3M 10 year stuff, I paid $1500 for the entire front (bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood and front fenders) so $850 seem like a steal!

My place also does a complete paint correction before application.

Ah, the paint correction could be the reason. Mine was applied before it left the lot, so a paint correction wasn't necessary (only a decon wash was done). If a paint correction is included in the $850, that would make the price more reasonable (to me).

"I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer."

Usually they farm this work out to a local detail shop, then raise the price to the buyer 5 to 10 times. Grendel has great advice--find the detail shop that does the work and look closely at other customers' jobs before you let them do yours.

"I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer."

Usually they farm this work out to a local detail shop, then raise the price to the buyer 5 to 10 times. Grendel has great advice--find the detail shop that does the work and look closely at other customers' jobs before you let them do yours.

Not the case for me. The dealer has an in-house shop that applies PPF to any vehicles that come off their lots. I was able to see plenty of examples of their work before I worked it into the deal.

Always good to clarify who's doing the work though, I agree.

Last edited:
I got quoted $1200 for Llumar paint protection film. Is this reasonable?

I am looking for paint protection film on a 2020 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring with front and rear parking sensors for the following portions:

Hood
Front bumper
Door edges
Handles
Side-view mirrors
Rear bumper guard

Would like to know the price. Thanks.

I just had the front end of my 2018 Sig dressed up with Expel PPF, and my only regret is that I didn't consider it - and do some research - sooner. With about 18k mostly hi-speed highway miles, the "peppering" of the leading surfaces were beginning to add up, not to mention continuously removing bug guts build up.

I had the entire front bumper panel and top panel above the grill (in front of the hood) wrapped, as well as the two side mirrors. I went to a shop the specializes in PPF & window tinting; its all they do. They were about 30 miles from my home and required keeping the vehicle for 2 days, so my wife and I needed to make 6 round trips for a total of 180 miles on two cars, but it was worth it.

This place works from large rolls of Expel, and uses a proprietary computer program to cut the film to the specifics per make & model of the car on site. They also guarantee the product and their work (the application) for 10 years for any issue not due to collision or owner related causes.

Part of the front panel configuration for the CX-9 included pieces to cover the chrome surround framing the grille; I chose NOT to have that applied per their recommendation against covering chrome. The total (including 6% PA tax) came to $660. Adding the two front fenders and entire hood would have been $1,750 plus tax, and it really didn't appear necessary.

They had a brand new loaded full size 4 cab GMC pick-up truck that they had just completed with a total wrap. They told me it was an $8,500 job. Some people easily part with their cash I suppose.

Back