Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Clear bra paint protection film for CX-9?

  1. #1
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    121

    Clear bra paint protection film for CX-9?

    Thinking of having my slightly used (5000 miles) 2018 GT AWD clear bra'ed this week before anything else chips. I've had other cars done and I am a believer. Does anybody have any film preferences? I know the Expel stuff is considered the top but most of the other brands are good at this point. It's all about the installer. What have others done, what parts of the car and what did you pay? I'm thinking entire front end, maybe just the front of the hood and the mirrors and maybe the A pillars. I'm thinking that should be in the $600-$800 range. I'm in the Phoenix area for a few months and there are several installers/shops around.

  2. #2
    Banned

    2018 Mazda

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    Posts
    146
    This is something your should be talking directly with your installer about what they use.

    I am a 3m certified clear protective film installer but do not always use 3m products.

    I would at least look at the work the shop you choose to have this done. Experience and attention to detail and thought about the customers vehicle for installing a clear film is the first and most important thing.
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    20
    xpost from another thread:
    I purchased a 3M Scotchgard Pro clear bra kit from eBay in late 2016 for my 2016 CX-9 GT for $270. It came with film for the front bumper, hood, fenders and side mirrors. I would say that all except the front bumper were easy to apply. The front bumper was a bit tricky as you have to apply it vertically. If you are patient you can wait for a 15% off coupon eBay to get the kit even cheaper.

  4. #4
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,252
    I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer. They did a fine job. The 3M was warranted, so when I noticed a couple of small air bubbles and an edge lifting (maybe 3-5 mm in length) after a few months, I pointed it out to the dealer and they reapplied the film. I highly recommend PPF, but if had the chance to do it again, I would opt for the full hood and front fender coverage, instead of the kit that only covers the front 18-24" of the car. Full hood and fender coverage makes the PPF application a little less noticeable.

  5. #5
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer. They did a fine job. The 3M was warranted, so when I noticed a couple of small air bubbles and an edge lifting (maybe 3-5 mm in length) after a few months, I pointed it out to the dealer and they reapplied the film. I highly recommend PPF, but if had the chance to do it again, I would opt for the full hood and front fender coverage, instead of the kit that only covers the front 18-24" of the car. Full hood and fender coverage makes the PPF application a little less noticeable.
    So the basic kit does about half the hood? I was going to leave the fenders and roof alone and maybe just to the top front edge of the hood ( few inches) the entire front end around and up to the fenders and mirrors. The A pillars on this car are almost sideways so not sure about doing those.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    16
    I was quoted $850 by a reputable local shop for 3M film for the front end (Bumper, hood, and fenders). I think I'm going to pull the trigger here soon but also add the side view mirrors and that small section of rear bumper right next to the trunk.

  7. #7
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by jefabian View Post
    I was quoted $850 by a reputable local shop for 3M film for the front end (Bumper, hood, and fenders). I think I'm going to pull the trigger here soon but also add the side view mirrors and that small section of rear bumper right next to the trunk.
    $850 USD seems high for only hood, fenders and bumper. Get quotes from any of your other local shops and compare. If I didn't get my PPF application for free during negotiation, it would have cost me $750-800 CAD for the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    $850 USD seems high for only hood, fenders and bumper. Get quotes from any of your other local shops and compare. If I didn't get my PPF application for free during negotiation, it would have cost me $750-800 CAD for the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors.

    Where I am, for the 3M 10 year stuff, I paid $1500 for the entire front (bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood and front fenders) so $850 seem like a steal!

    My place also does a complete paint correction before application.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature



  9. #9
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Where I am, for the 3M 10 year stuff, I paid $1500 for the entire front (bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood and front fenders) so $850 seem like a steal!

    My place also does a complete paint correction before application.
    Ah, the paint correction could be the reason. Mine was applied before it left the lot, so a paint correction wasn't necessary (only a decon wash was done). If a paint correction is included in the $850, that would make the price more reasonable (to me).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Washington, the state
    Posts
    437
    "I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer."

    Usually they farm this work out to a local detail shop, then raise the price to the buyer 5 to 10 times. Grendel has great advice--find the detail shop that does the work and look closely at other customers' jobs before you let them do yours.

  11. #11
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    "I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer."

    Usually they farm this work out to a local detail shop, then raise the price to the buyer 5 to 10 times. Grendel has great advice--find the detail shop that does the work and look closely at other customers' jobs before you let them do yours.
    Not the case for me. The dealer has an in-house shop that applies PPF to any vehicles that come off their lots. I was able to see plenty of examples of their work before I worked it into the deal.

    Always good to clarify who's doing the work though, I agree.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 03-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Similar Threads

  1. 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-60-inches
    By mzd in forum CX-9 Accessories & Appearance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 12:07 AM
  2. How To: Apply Clear Paint Protection Film
    By DARK R3 in forum Mazda How-To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2009, 06:28 PM
  3. Gauging Interest: Clear Film Paint Protection Group Buy
    By Solo2Protege in forum Completed Transactions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM
  4. Clear film front protection question
    By prost in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2002, 04:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •