Thread: Clear bra paint protection film for CX-9?

Montana/Arizona

2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

Clear bra paint protection film for CX-9?

Thinking of having my slightly used (5000 miles) 2018 GT AWD clear bra'ed this week before anything else chips. I've had other cars done and I am a believer. Does anybody have any film preferences? I know the Expel stuff is considered the top but most of the other brands are good at this point. It's all about the installer. What have others done, what parts of the car and what did you pay? I'm thinking entire front end, maybe just the front of the hood and the mirrors and maybe the A pillars. I'm thinking that should be in the $600-$800 range. I'm in the Phoenix area for a few months and there are several installers/shops around.

Banned

2018 Mazda

The WEST Region of USA close to RENO and San Francisco
    This is something your should be talking directly with your installer about what they use.

I am a 3m certified clear protective film installer but do not always use 3m products.

I would at least look at the work the shop you choose to have this done. Experience and attention to detail and thought about the customers vehicle for installing a clear film is the first and most important thing.
    Last edited by Grendel65; 01-13-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD

xpost from another thread:
    I purchased a 3M Scotchgard Pro clear bra kit from eBay in late 2016 for my 2016 CX-9 GT for $270. It came with film for the front bumper, hood, fenders and side mirrors. I would say that all except the front bumper were easy to apply. The front bumper was a bit tricky as you have to apply it vertically. If you are patient you can wait for a 15% off coupon eBay to get the kit even cheaper.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer. They did a fine job. The 3M was warranted, so when I noticed a couple of small air bubbles and an edge lifting (maybe 3-5 mm in length) after a few months, I pointed it out to the dealer and they reapplied the film. I highly recommend PPF, but if had the chance to do it again, I would opt for the full hood and front fender coverage, instead of the kit that only covers the front 18-24" of the car. Full hood and fender coverage makes the PPF application a little less noticeable.

Montana/Arizona

2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer. They did a fine job. The 3M was warranted, so when I noticed a couple of small air bubbles and an edge lifting (maybe 3-5 mm in length) after a few months, I pointed it out to the dealer and they reapplied the film. I highly recommend PPF, but if had the chance to do it again, I would opt for the full hood and front fender coverage, instead of the kit that only covers the front 18-24" of the car. Full hood and fender coverage makes the PPF application a little less noticeable.
    So the basic kit does about half the hood? I was going to leave the fenders and roof alone and maybe just to the top front edge of the hood ( few inches) the entire front end around and up to the fenders and mirrors. The A pillars on this car are almost sideways so not sure about doing those.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature

I was quoted $850 by a reputable local shop for 3M film for the front end (Bumper, hood, and fenders). I think I'm going to pull the trigger here soon but also add the side view mirrors and that small section of rear bumper right next to the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by jefabian View Post
    I was quoted $850 by a reputable local shop for 3M film for the front end (Bumper, hood, and fenders). I think I'm going to pull the trigger here soon but also add the side view mirrors and that small section of rear bumper right next to the trunk.
    $850 USD seems high for only hood, fenders and bumper. Get quotes from any of your other local shops and compare. If I didn't get my PPF application for free during negotiation, it would have cost me $750-800 CAD for the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    $850 USD seems high for only hood, fenders and bumper. Get quotes from any of your other local shops and compare. If I didn't get my PPF application for free during negotiation, it would have cost me $750-800 CAD for the hood, fenders, bumper and mirrors.

Where I am, for the 3M 10 year stuff, I paid $1500 for the entire front (bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood and front fenders) so $850 seem like a steal!

My place also does a complete paint correction before application.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Where I am, for the 3M 10 year stuff, I paid $1500 for the entire front (bumper, headlights, mirrors, hood and front fenders) so $850 seem like a steal!

My place also does a complete paint correction before application.
    Ah, the paint correction could be the reason. Mine was applied before it left the lot, so a paint correction wasn't necessary (only a decon wash was done). If a paint correction is included in the $850, that would make the price more reasonable (to me).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

"I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer."

Usually they farm this work out to a local detail shop, then raise the price to the buyer 5 to 10 times. Grendel has great advice--find the detail shop that does the work and look closely at other customers' jobs before you let them do yours.

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    "I had a 3M kit installed on my 18 by the dealer."

Usually they farm this work out to a local detail shop, then raise the price to the buyer 5 to 10 times. Grendel has great advice--find the detail shop that does the work and look closely at other customers' jobs before you let them do yours.
    Not the case for me. The dealer has an in-house shop that applies PPF to any vehicles that come off their lots. I was able to see plenty of examples of their work before I worked it into the deal.

Always good to clarify who's doing the work though, I agree.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 03-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.