Mazdas AWD

:
2021 Acura RDX
Mazdas AWD

Ive got to admit, Mazda has a pretty good AWD system! Just got through a blizzard with no problems. I always thought (we have one) that Subarus had the best AWD system, but Im not so sure I think that way anymore.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Mazdas AWD if you are in a state where you get snow!

I myself was very surprised at how well it did. I came from a Jeep Grand Cherokee with QD2, which allows 0-100% of torque to instantly be sent to any 1 tire, or a combination of all 4 in infinite percentage variance. My CX5 did just as well in snow and on ice, even with its much less adaptive system.

CX-5 has treated me just fine on the weather and AWD front. And with some snow tires on, even better.

When we got our first CX-5, it snowed the day before. The salesman let me take it into a snowy area and see how it handled. We were impressed.

Our 2016 was and 2017 is very capable as well.

We have a 16 sport. It does pretty well but my 12 outback does a good amount better. Different systems though. Manage to get around in both. Not fond of the subaru cvt though.

Given that an FWD card with a set of good winter tires is basically unstoppable in snow unless it runs out of ground clearance, I'd expect any half-decent AWD system to be the same.

The main things that an AWD CX-5 would get you over, say, a FWD 3 are an extra ~2" of ground clearance and the ability to chew through deep snow more quickly. Definitely very useful at the ski hill and in rural environments, but not very impactful in the average urban or suburban situation.

Given that an FWD card with a set of good winter tires is basically unstoppable in snow unless it runs out of ground clearance, I'd expect any half-decent AWD system to be the same.

The main things that an AWD CX-5 would get you over, say, a FWD 3 are an extra ~2" of ground clearance and the ability to chew through deep snow more quickly. Definitely very useful at the ski hill and in rural environments, but not very impactful in the average urban or suburban situation.

Fwd wont even work where I live. Awd does fine. Situations dictate the tools. Ymmv

1) AWD will always get yoi through an intersection faster with equal tires when miving from a dead stop. Less time jn the intersection less risk.
2) AWD allows the tires with grip to keep the car moving forward and the ones with less grip to maintain normal traction. In a FWD the front tires always have to share traction with power and steering...the more that goes to power the less there is for steering.
3) AWD is better at controlling torque steer especially when it comes to the turbo engine.

Prior to buying my Signature I test drove it in slush and snow. I had to try very hard to get the system to show any weakness. It's equal to or better than any other AWD and 4WD I've had before. With that said this is not an off road system.

I have owned these AWD's: 1995 Mitsu Eclipse, 2000 Outback, 2006 Audi A4, 2012 Impreza, 2012 Outback, and 2016.5 CX-5.

The 2000 Outback had BY FAR the best AWD. For one reason only-limited slip rear diff. The A4 was the worst, even with expensive Torsen diff. All had the best snow/ice tires I could find at the time.

The CX-5 has the 'proper' rear-biased feel, so I can power-steer in slippery stuff. I prefer the CX-5, due to the 'feel'.

However, the Impreza was the best at driving at seriously insane speeds, due to it's very strong front-wheel-drive bias. It would track straight in deep, slushy, tracked snow. That *might* have made it 'safer', especially for stupid drivers who don't pay attention. It would plow straight, forcing the driver to back off. (I couldn't power-steer that thing to save my soul. Hated that.)

In pure traction ability, I'd put the CX-5 ahead of the Subies (except the 2000). It's possible the Mitsu was equal. It had LSD, too, but I don't clearly remember anything about it except trying to out-drag a 4x4 from a stoplight. I was in deep, slushy snow, he had just a 1/2 inch. He backed off before I did, just as my lane ran out. Good thing one of us was smart!

There was nothing as good as my 1995 Mitsubishi SR. Drive choices were 2WD, AWD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo, center diff lock and rear diff lock. This and set if BFG KO's this thing would go through anything! Had many other 4WD vehicles and none of them equaled the Montero's capability.

There was nothing as good as my 1995 Mitsubishi SR. Drive choices were 2WD, AWD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo, center diff lock and rear diff lock. This and set if BFG KO's this thing would go through anything! Had many other 4WD vehicles and none of them equaled the Montero's capability.

In my 460 can't do 2WD as vehicle is full time mechanical torsen AWD but can do 4Hi/4Lo with center diff locked/unlocked. ATRAC front and rear (electronic e-lockers) really works well. I don't rock crawl much so full time lockers are probably overkill but thought about putting a rear Harrop e-locker on it

The KDSS bring a whole other element to vehicle as sway bars front and rear can unlock at low speeds off-road so wheel articulation is quite impressive for vehicle even with it's modest ground clearance. I haven't had to use it but recovery with a crawl control almost seems like magic in videos...especially in the sand conditions.

Plenty of Montero enthusiasts still out there from what I can tell.

EDIT: i-ACTIV AWD works well though... no complaints of what the CX-5 can do.

Last edited:
i-ACTIV AWD works well though... no complaints of what the CX-5 can do.

Exactly! There are definitely more capable 4x4's out there but only used for what they can do a small percentage of times. The CX-5 of the best compromise for AWD especially with the power a turbo brings to it.

I'm sure any AWD CUV could handle My driveway when its snow covered... But every FWD vehicle has issues. Hell, I back in with my car. Its awesome.

I'd like to see a FWD car try my old driveway when it snowed when I lived in the mountains.

Oh wait, I have, and it was an epic fail every time.

Exactly! There are definitely more capable 4x4's out there but only used for what they can do a small percentage of times. The CX-5 of the best compromise for AWD especially with the power a turbo brings to it.

I'm not sure why anyone would equate and compare a 4x4 with AWD. My CX-5 sure as hell isn't going on those trails I went on with my cousin in his Jeep.

According to official CX-5 vin data, AWD's have "Permanent Locking Hubs"

Fwd wont even work where I live. Awd does fine. Situations dictate the tools. Ymmv

Yup, got stuck in my 2014 FWD CX5 with snows in an ally on a slight incline trying to go around some parked cars, took an hour to get myself free. Not even close to my AWD with snows...

Back