Cx9 smart key replacement

:
08 cx9 grand touring
I have a 2008 cx9.
I have both keys but the key is getting loose and I'm afraid it will slide out and get lost.
From what I think I know its way cheaper to get a new key if you have both so before I lose one I want to get another spare.

So my questions are:

Can I switch from the credit card type key that I dont like or trust to a switchblade type or any other type?

Does the new one need to be programmed at the dealer or can I do it myself? Or I read locksmiths can do it?

Whats the cheapest way about it?

My keys are also much looser than when they were new and slip out of the credit card too easily. But they are always in my pocket so if it comes out i'll know by the time I get home and take it out of my pocket. You can't go from the card to the switchblade because it uses different frequencies and the card communicates with several "antennas" located in several spots all over the vehicle. I think that the switchblade (cheaper style) key just has a single antenna for lock/unlock of the vehicle since it is not an advanced keyless ignition system. I think you COULD use the switchblade style for starting the car, possibly, but not for locking/unlocking it. I'm not sure how available new cards are on ebay, but best bet is to try and find ones that are either new, or used in good condition, and then buy new or knockoff key blanks. You can get the keyblank cut at a dealer or a lock smith place.
If you have 2 working cards, you can program more cards yourself. If you have only 1 working card, than you have to go to dealer for programming 2nd card, at which point you can then program 3rd card, 4th card, etc yourself.

Hopefully that helps you out. This topic has also been covered in depth years back with programming instructions. But if you can't find those threads, I have programming instructions at home that I can scan if you'd like.

Back