Cant unlock passenger doors with fob when car is running?

:
2016 CX5 GT
Cant unlock passenger doors with fob when car is running?

I have a 206 CX-5. One thing that urks me is that I cannot unlock the other doors from the outside of the car with the buttons on the handle, hatch or fob. I will take my kids to the bus stop or daycare and get out but I cant get them out. I always have to go back in and hit the door unlock button from the inside.

I thought about this for some time and maybe its ok to not be able to do it from the door handles, to prevent car jacking when stopped in the city. But I would think it should work from the key fob. Is there a setting anywhere that would allow this to work?

That doesn't make sense.
On nearly every fob, from most car makes, not just Mazda, you press the unlock button once for the driver's door, and twice for all the other doors.
Even my 16 year old Nissan works like that.
The button on the door handle on my 6 works the same way.
Once for the drivers door, twice for the rest.

That doesn't make sense.
On nearly every fob, from most car makes, not just Mazda, you press the unlock button once for the driver's door, and twice for all the other doors.

Mazdas work that way too, just not when the engine is running

You can also set preferences to unlock all doors when putting trans in park.

Ok, so I thought I would try this with my two vehicles.
The Mazda (2017 6) does like you say. Once it's running, the fob is disabled. I cannot lock or unlock the doors with it.
However, my 16 year old Nissan (Pathfinder) works just fine that way.
I had it running, and I could lock and unlock the doors with the fob, no problem.
Not sure what to think there.

It is probably best for fob to be deactivated while vehicle is running.

I would not want a fob stuffed in pants pocket, or say a child playing with fob to be able to activate the doors, electric trunk, or panic alarm while vehicle is moving.

Isn*t that the default configuration? That*s why I don*t understand the problem. The doors should all unlock automatically.

Default is unlock when ignition off, on mine anyway.

I understand when driving maybe the fob buttons should be deactivated to prevent against accidental activation. However the car knows when its driving and when its not. Its a simple value available to the cars computer in the ODB-II spec. So if the car is at 0 mph, dont disable the fobs.

A good example is I take my daughter to the corner school bus stop. I get out and go to the back passenger door and its locked and I cant unlock it. I have to go back to my door to hit the inside door unlock button. I never had a car that acts this way. I had a VW before and wife has a Pathfinder (2016). Its a hard habit to break after years of this feature changing.

Anyway we have the car running because its quick out to the corner, get her on the bus, then back to my car and drive my son to daycare. He isnt going to be in a cold shut off car, and its only 2 minutes or so by the time we get there until the school bus arrives, plus its right next to me as I just park along the street.

Another situation could be that I run in the house to get something quick. I dont think I can even lock my door when its running, so your at risk when warming it up on a cold morning. Im in a relatively safe suburban development so hopefully there arent any acts of car theft due to puffers as the police like to call them. A puffer is a car idling in your driveway warming up, but unlocked while nobody is in the car. Apparently a lot of cars are stolen that way.

I understand when driving maybe the fob buttons should be deactivated to prevent against accidental activation. However the car knows when its driving and when its not. Its a simple value available to the cars computer in the ODB-II spec. So if the car is at 0 mph, dont disable the fobs.

A good example is I take my daughter to the corner school bus stop. I get out and go to the back passenger door and its locked and I cant unlock it. I have to go back to my door to hit the inside door unlock button. I never had a car that acts this way. I had a VW before and wife has a Pathfinder (2016). Its a hard habit to break after years of this feature changing.

Anyway we have the car running because its quick out to the corner, get her on the bus, then back to my car and drive my son to daycare. He isnt going to be in a cold shut off car, and its only 2 minutes or so by the time we get there until the school bus arrives, plus its right next to me as I just park along the street.

Another situation could be that I run in the house to get something quick. I dont think I can even lock my door when its running, so your at risk when warming it up on a cold morning. Im in a relatively safe suburban development so hopefully there arent any acts of car theft due to puffers as the police like to call them. A puffer is a car idling in your driveway warming up, but unlocked while nobody is in the car. Apparently a lot of cars are stolen that way.

The lock / unlock button on the drivers door should work for what you are describing... For dropping off kids, warming up, running into house, etc.

Default is unlock when ignition off, on mine anyway.

Yes, default is ignition off. After having passengers complain that their doors were locked upon arrival, I figured out I could change it to unlock on shift to park. That's much better. I also have it set for 1 press of fob to unlock all doors. My wife is faster to the car than me when its cold out.

You can also change when the doors lock while you are driving.

This assumes that the doors are locked when not in park? I don't understand.

As Murky said this is totally configurable in Settings. I like that they give us like 5 options.
"Doors lock when shifting out of park, unlock when shifting INTO park"
-or-
-or-
+

Last edited:
As Murky said this is totally configurable in Settings. I like that they give us like 5 options.
"Doors lock when shifting out of park, unlock when shifting INTO park"
-or-
-or-
+

Lol. I probably set it up when I got the car, and have honestly never looked at the setting again.
All I know is, the doors do not lock when I drive it, which is the way I want it.

Sorry for bringing this out but is it not normal for most people to check out the user manual and the options menu in the car setting when you encounter problem, before going to the forum. The advantage of the forum is of course that you do not need to make the effort and secondly it increases the awareness among other members for the problem that they may encounter in future (or not).

Found this screen. Im going to try the new highlighted setting.

688509a6ab9184efe99e17678a7b033c.jpg

I take it that if I put it in park, the doors should unlock.

Posted in the forum because my manual is out in the car in the back of a parking lot, and while at work I have easy access via Tapatalk or my desktop computer or laptop. Very easy to post during downtime or when in the lunchroom.

That doesn't make sense.

You can change the parameters in the settings of your car... 1 click can unlock all doors if you want to

Sure...but if you read OP's post, this doesn't work when the engine is running.

Mine does the same thing and it is annoying. More annoying is when I've gone to my Dad's apartment, wanted to warm up the car. Huh...with it running, I cannot lock it as it auto-unlocks and fob won't lock it when it is running.

Super annoying and one of my only complaints with the vehicle. I can't turn it on, lock it, and go back inside for a few minutes.

Found this screen. I*m going to try the new highlighted setting.

I take it that if I put it in park, the doors should unlock.

Posted in the forum because my manual is out in the car in the back of a parking lot, and while at work I have easy access via Tapatalk or my desktop computer or laptop. Very easy to post during downtime or when in the lunchroom.

That should do it for you. The first setting should also work.

Back